British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I've just bought a sixpence which I was ruminating over for at least a week. I chose it because it was within budget, had the toning I like, and basically was the best of the eBay bunch I had shortlisted - except for a noticeable rim nick which doesnt bother me much.

Should it? Aesthetics are a large part of my collecting pleasure but years down the line when my collection passes on to someone else how much will rim defects impact value?

Any defect will reduce value, but as to how much is anyone's guess. Twenty years down the line, the market will be hot in different areas to those that are popular today. Equally, different faults might be more or less acceptable.

The commoner the coin, the more impact is my gut feeling because you can invariably pick up a fault free example with a little patience. It's the patience thing where most collectors fail.

Small rim nicks don't bother me, but I know some people who cannot stand them!

Entirely your preference, although as Rob says the value will be affected.

Rim nick = not interested

Same for me! Nicks and bruises turn me off in an instant!

Same for me! Nicks and bruises turn me off in an instant!

And me!

So we have no nicks....oohh err missus B)

Thanks for the feedback. I figured the reason no one had snapped it up was because of this. But without it the grade would be really high - you can virtually see the twinkle in Victoria's eye. It would be a prime candidate for that coin restorer guy in the States. At any rate, I'm not regretting the purchase.

Good point about patience, Rob. I am only just starting out, one just tends to think quantity over quality at this point.

Personally i hate them they ruin the pre 1860 Victorian copper series

When does a rim nick become an edge knock?

Nicks are usually cut depressions in the rim, knocks are bruises which usually result in an upward movement in the metal at some point, though usually combined with a flattened distortion,

A better definition may be to ask the question. Is the person describing the coin a buyer or seller.

For me small nicks scarcely matter (I'd rather have a GF with a small nick than an F without one). I guess they would if I was collecting FDC or to a lesser extent EF.

• Like 1

Think its down to how scarce the coin is as mentioned earlier.

I dont mind rim nicks/edge knocks if the strike is ok and i cant find a better one.

I wouldnt buy anything that has been cleaned and not keen on verd or carbon spots.

Only buy pennies and some with a lot of lustre show signs of handling and not really bothered about that either.

I have a really nice 1858 large rose penny with small date a couple of nicks but the strike is nice and problem free.