British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

TimMedhurst

Rome The Great Power That She Was

Julius Caesar, Denarius. Military mint traveling with Caesar, 49-48 BC.

I have always loved this type. So happy it came in the other week for sale along with a whole collection of over 100 Denarii. Contained in a lovely Victorian cabinet, perfect!

Just thought I'd share it as its a nice example.

Cheers,

Tim

post-8821-0-32151000-1436130725_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I love that type too Tim, here's mine (not as nice as yours!):

Caesar_Elephant_02_zpsmjiihfdh.png

Edited by Paulus

The reverse is nice on yours. I just think if you want a piece of Roman coin history in your hand, this is what I'd choose!

Exactly why it is my one and only example of a Roman silver type! :)

I mean, Julius Caesar, Jeez, why aren't these worth a lot more (rhetorical question!)

I've often thought that with Roman coins in general, especially silver. If you were so inclined, even if a beginner in coin collecting you could amass a fair collection.

Do you think the demand is becoming less for Roman, or is that too general?

I've no idea, not dabbled since that eBay purchase 6 years ago, but I agree that you could amass a comprehensive collection relatively cheaply (relative to coins that were circulating in England that are not as old and of lesser quality)

Are you predominantly a 'type' collector like myself? I have very little interest in rare dates or varieties, preferring a higher grade for my buck ...

• Like 1

I think you're right. Is that a 1905 in you avi?

I think you're right. Is that a 1905 in you avi?

Type collector, 1902! It's very nicely toned though! :)

Ah yes, I like it. Love a 1902 Crown, still under rated in top grades I think

Why is rome called a "she" in this post a city has no sex surely.?

Even then it is sure the empire was run by men especially in the last 400 years or so when it was effectively run by the military and not the emperors , surely a city should be referred too as masculine

Same as ships I guess. Why are they always female, because the vast majority of crews are going to be men?

There might be some basis for gender allocation to otherwise asexual objects derived from languages such as German or French for example. e.g a good rule of thumb is that most things that do work in German are the feminine die (as are plurals). The exception to this rule is of course der mund (mouth), which invariably works overtime in the female version, but less so with the male form. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Ooooooo. I felt that burn from here Rob ;) Haha.

• Like 1

As a rule, 75% of German words that end with E are feminine, there are obviously exceptions such as Nacht and Milch which are both die Nacht, die Milch :)

She's a beautie, applies to everything in Somerset! Carburettors, marrows, barmaids, chainsaws, anything and everything!

Got to love Avalon! At least her apples anyway! :)

• Haha 1

She's a beautie, applies to everything in Somerset! Carburettors, marrows, barmaids, chainsaws, anything and everything!

That goes in Dorset too!

That goes in Dorset too!
:D

Would be one I would love to add to my collection! Here are some of the others, nice to see a fresh old collection

post-8821-0-52085000-1436216825_thumb.jp

post-8821-0-97410600-1436216849_thumb.jp

http://www.omnicoin.com/viewcoin/904544

A little bit of Roman from me.

This coin is actually featured on Wildwinds and I got it for South of £15

• Like 1

http://www.omnicoin.com/viewcoin/904544

A little bit of Roman from me.

This coin is actually featured on Wildwinds and I got it for South of £15

Bargain and very nice!

No edge nicks :)

mr Trenerry from the sw is well thought of .....worth a visit......don't buy all his coins :o