British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Patinap

Could I get a value and information on this 1821 farthing with grade,

Spink value for 'Fine' grade is £3. Yours is less than fine. The coin's value has also been reduced by it having a disfiguring counterstamp in the reverse field.

Not worth anything at all I'm afraid. Sorry Patinap! :(

Ah but after the objective valuation comes the subjective. I wouldn't write it off: there are always completionists looking for a missing date in a run. A few collectors may want examples of counterstamps - People collect for different reasons.

Completionists probably wouldn't touch anything with a counterstamp on it..

Counterstampists might, like you say, but probably not. The stamp just looks like someone messing around as opposed to something like "VOTES FOR WOMEN".

"Votes for women in 1821" very forward looking.

"pears soap" would be more likely

I meant the relevance/historical value of the counterstamp, not my particular example.

But you knew that :angry: Haha

course i did

:P

Funny enough George IIII farthings are very common finds and were hoarded by the public for some reason .

They were the first issue of farthings since 1799 1806/7 so there was a bit of a shortage of that denomination in circulation .

There were quite a few farthings made between 1821 and 1825 when coinage of pennies and halfpennies resumed , presumably the cartwheels and 1799 issue and 1806/7 issues were sufficient for the public's needs up til then.

• Like 1