British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Patinap

ID please ?

Hi there I am new to this forum, thank you for your accommodation. Information and value of this coin would be appreciated. Thanks.

post-8817-0-13648200-1436005859_thumb.jp

post-8817-0-20671900-1436005885_thumb.jp

The look suggests to me it might be a copy despite being battered. What's the weight? Clive will be up to date with all the copies of PAXS pennies. If a copy, then south of the couple pounds it costs to get one in a museum shop, if genuine a couple hundred at most because the mint isn't legible. The surfaces don't look good.

Edited by Rob

I weighed on a scale that goes in gram increments, it is 3 grams plus the rest if it weighed in that method.

In that case it's genuinely wrong, which I suspected as the surfaces look cast. The weight should be 1.4 to 1.5g approx. The weight will vary, but not by a lot. e.g. the one below weighs 1.45g.

c1665-W1%20PAXS%201d%20GODESBRAND%20ON%2

Casts are invariably thicker because the metal has to be poured into a mould whereas a coin struck from sheet silver is actually quite thin, because the integrity of the metal means it follows the relief of the dies. You often see a line which shows the join around the edge because often casts are made in two parts.

Edited by Rob

Yes, this is one of the most common types of modern fakes available at the moment and, as Rob says, the weight is wrong.

You recovering well, Clive?

Getting there! Orthopaedic surgeon says I'll just need extensive physio and I've ordered this so I can commute to work in style.

You recovering well, Clive?

Getting there! Orthopaedic surgeon says I'll just need extensive physio and I've ordered this so I can commute to work in style.

Nice bike! :)

Best wishes Clive

After hiring a Dawes trekking bike in Cornwall I bought one on returning home.

Result :)

Strong calfs and a sore bum.