British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

VickySilver

The Elusive 2002 Jamaica Proof Set Remains So

Fair enough - that answers my question!

Yeah, some "modern junk" is surprisingly hard to acquire.

And that has been the thrust behind this column & quite agree. Also, surprisingly beautiful on occasion as well....I would encourage readers to post like coins either in this post or to start new ones...

• Like 1

Well to get the ball rolling, here's a London Mint issue from a couple of years back. They sold these as a "loss leader" at £20 to entice you to buy another half dozen coins at twice the price. But I liked the coin and as I am a Merchant Seafarer thought it was appropriate. I didn't buy the others and it was almost 2 years before London Mint stopped contacting me to "invite" me to buy the others in the series. But on the whole I think it is a good design and has been well engraved and minted.

Seafarers Coin.jpg

• Like 2

Hmm, nice and haven't seen that one before. Wonder how many actually made it out to collectors - as opposed to how many minted...

At the time it was quite heavily advertised on British TV. I have tried to find the blurb that came with it to see if it mentions mintage numbers, but so far to no avail.

Update: NONE.      LOL

No more 2002 Jamaica (Jammy) sets to show up.

More importantly, no 1984 FM Jamaica specimen uncirculated sets to show. Please see other posting on my 1984 FM Trinidad specimen set just gotten last week.

• Like 1

Continued watch has not been rewarded as NO 1984 specimen FM coins or other rarities. No other 2002 proof sets; as I had said there are a few of the 2002 Track and Field (junior) crowns floating about but they are relatively scarce as well.

• Like 1

Followup: no news! LOL 

I believe this set had to have had a max of 50 sets, and probably less. I am a bit of an hoarder and probably would buy a second if it became available....

• Like 1

I would too - I've seen a few scarce Solomon Islands things come up and have bought duplicates.

Ah, yes, bordering on avarice there. I have FOUR 1984 Papua New Guinea proof sets that are scarce but not nearly as rare. Perhaps you might share some of your favorites with us?

• Like 1

I think I found second 1982 Solomon Islands proof set (no case, just the coins) for sale on ebay for $5 or thereabouts. I had no need but the mintage is unknown (but likely less than 200).

I'm sure the set would normally cost around $200.

Other than that it has been a struggle to find even one of the Cook Islands or Solomon Islands rarities.

Update? NONE. These 2002 Jamaica proof sets must be extremely rare with suggested original mintage of sets I have now heard was 50 (perhaps fewer). As there is a modicum of a collector base for such; I wish I could confirm.

Other new: well I recently purchased a 1976 Cook Islands 100 dollars in true matte uncirculated(before they started selling all the schlock). This coin did have mintage of 50 but evidently all were sent "down there" and many were scratched up. I bought mine at bullion and yet there is one on sale, if you can call it that, on ebay at 2337 USD! 

• Like 1