British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

VickySilver

The Elusive 2002 Jamaica Proof Set Remains So

Well kids, no update at all. I can not find either this 2002 proof set or the 1984 specimen set.

However, on a related note, I got two quite rare bits in the last 6 months:

1976 Malta Franklin Mint 25c Uncirculated  Matte. - I got this from a coin dealer on Malta. From looks of it, it was tossed in a bag at time and made the trip to Valetta. I have never seen another ( I got the 1976 FM 50c in Matte a couple of years ago).

1984 Franklin Mint Uncirculated (Proof Like) 50c  - this I had graded at PCGS and is on their census, also the only one I have ever seen. Numismata?? site has this catalogued but doubt they have ever seen it. I bought this off Ebay for a grand total with shipping of $3.59 USD!  l love finding coins like this.

• Like 2

I have the 1975 Malta 25 cent proof but have yet to see a 76

Yes, nice coin though it is the matte variety that is quite scarce for 1976 - original montage of 300 and evidently dumped into a bag and? Not really seen or heard of again.  

No real update to speak of - I searched for coin shops and clubs in Jamaica and to no avail. If there are collectors down in Jamaica (Jammy) they are pretty quiet and understandably so. Not always the safest of places when money/coins/related are mentioned....No facebook groups there related to coins that I could find.

I had been keeping my eyes open at collectors fairs etc (Central Scotland)  for one . See plenty of obscure proof sets , but no 2002 Jamaica yet .

Keep up the search; I am, but just can not find either this or the 1984FM Specimen Set....

I would say that I would extend to ALL Franklin Mint 1984 uncirculated coins in sets or not, with the exception of the 1984 FM Jamaica 20c, 25c, 50c which are available in the cobbled up Coins of the World cardboard sets that were part of a multi-national issuance by the Franklin Mint - most of those were from  mints other than the Franklin Mint with Jamaica being an exception as stated.

To any reading this with questions or coins possibly for sale, do contact me.

I feel your pain - for a long time I assumed that no 1994-dated Cook Islands coins existed - then one day I saw a set for sale on ebay. Needless to say I didn't hesistate.

Ha, Tom. Good looking out! Have you found others since, and was that a set as released by a mint (which?).   I am so glad to see others in similar hunts to myself and the search is quite entertaining, if sometimes without fruit for periods of time.

On 7/26/2020 at 12:08 AM, VickySilver said:

Ha, Tom. Good looking out! Have you found others since, and was that a set as released by a mint (which?).   I am so glad to see others in similar hunts to myself and the search is quite entertaining, if sometimes without fruit for periods of time.

I think I stopped looking after that - the rest of the Cook Islands stuff is keeping me busy though. It was produced by the Royal Australian Mint - I'm sure I could find out how many were produced but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Their record keeping should be pretty good though - just accessing the records is the hard part.

I see it listed at 200 sets. Are they like the RM, where often we see reported maximums as oppose to actual number sold - modern mints have an issue with this? The OP set 2002 Jamaica is listed as are all the other Jamaica sets from 1988-2001 at 500. These must be maximums because some are much scarcer than others.

I suspect an original set limit is the first number, the number released another, the net number out to actual collectors (net after returns, losses, etc.) possibly entirely another.

There is a set of 1976 Jamaica proof coins 1 cent to 1 dollar on ebay right now. I am no good with links, but easy to find.

Ah thanks! Sadly, these are quite common compared to those I listed. 

Good Looking Out!!!

Well, i can see a 2002 Jamaica 50$ on ebay, but that is the only 2002 proof that i can see. Very elusive those sets.

Good spot. Not sure what these are worth & have two of them. A portly runner there !

PS - that on ebay is actually a year 2000, not the track and field (athletics) coin with a portly female sprinter on it...LOL

On 7/28/2020 at 10:20 PM, VickySilver said:

I see it listed at 200 sets. Are they like the RM, where often we see reported maximums as oppose to actual number sold - modern mints have an issue with this? The OP set 2002 Jamaica is listed as are all the other Jamaica sets from 1988-2001 at 500. These must be maximums because some are much scarcer than others.

I suspect an original set limit is the first number, the number released another, the net number out to actual collectors (net after returns, losses, etc.) possibly entirely another.

I believe the Royal Australian Mint do the right thing - pretty sure all the advertised mintages is what ends up getting produced, and some things are advertised as unlimited mintage (so whatever they can sell within whatever window they give themselves I guess).

Also, I had some luck getting images of early 20th century patterns from the Royal Mint Museum recently - it may be worth your while emailing them to see if they have an image of the 2002 Jamaica coins (and if they don't they would hopefully be able to confirm if they have any in their collection).

On 7/29/2020 at 10:26 PM, VickySilver said:

PS - that on ebay is actually a year 2000, not the track and field (athletics) coin with a portly female sprinter on it...LOL

Idiot seller🤔

Yes, there are a few false alarms here and there. A seller the other day had a set listed as 1984FM Jamaica specimen set and thought I had one of my "white whales"!

Nope, it was a 1983 set....Scarce, but I have three already.   LOL

• Like 1

Here is the type of coin you can get on Ebay and the type that keeps hope alive:  1983 Franklin Mint Uncirculated Barbados $1 coin.  Mintage 141.  Price?  0.99 USD

7CD148CE-C4D4-44F2-A1EE-61B10FE31CAC_1_201_a.jpeg00B70826-0339-458C-A36D-CFC420FB123F_1_201_a.jpeg
  • 7cd148ce-c4d4-44f2-a1ee-61b10fe31cac_1_201_a-jpeg.1168227
  • Like 2

News!!:   I believe that I have secured this 2002 Jamaica proof set. I will post when in hand....At long last. 

Now for the 1984 Jamaica Specimen Set from the Franklin Mint......

• Like 4

Nice - hopefully the wait is over!

14 hours ago, VickySilver said:

News!!:   I believe that I have secured this 2002 Jamaica proof set. I will post when in hand....At long last. 

Now for the 1984 Jamaica Specimen Set from the Franklin Mint......

An 84  proof set for sale on ebay for $1100 !!!! .A specimen set sold in June for £70 . Hopefully won't be as difficult to get as the 2002

Edited by mick1271

Yes, that damn 1984 specimen set was grabbed immediately as I signed on within 10 minutes and it was GONE! The less rare 1984 Jamaica proof set is scarce but that seller is crazy on his prices and I do not buy from him. I once tried to even up trade one of my Barbados rarities straight across for a much more common Panama Balboa, and he wouldn't do that either...

I do believe this sale of the 2002 proof set will go through as it is indicated as having shipped. I know it is an UGLY design, but it is quite scarce (Royal Mint will not give information but I believe less than 50 sets) and so was delighted to apparently get it - not counting chickens until hatched.

• Like 3

Isn't that the Pointer Sisters' song starting to play:  "I'm So Excited"?

I believe my Jammy 2002 proof set should be delivered tomorrow or at latest Wednesday. One heck of a White Whale I have been trying to get for TEN YEARS!

Ten years later, I got this White Whale! DIdn't at first even know it existed but here it is.  Now if I can only find the stablemate 1984 FM Specimen Set!5579C7C0-3EC3-4239-A826-C5262AF524F0_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.ae8f596507f674b463108d1561301343.jpeg1D0C3EB5-8856-42FE-BF84-0FE12E8EB8F6_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a1be4221e510fbf9cf3fd1f3d255d88c.jpeg

• Like 10