British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

VickySilver

The Elusive 2002 Jamaica Proof Set Remains So

I've not been able to shake loose the other 2002 set, and the buyer of this one says that he also got the very rare 1984 Jamaica specimen set! I have not seen that and only one rumoured, perhaps in Russia. I am wondering if the Franklin Mint somehow had a European dealer or depot for some of their later offerings which never made it to the states. I never saw 1984 specimen sets of any of their client countries, and then got the Belize set about 1 1/2 years ago. 

Their coins of all nations - which include specimen quality coins - offered in the 1990s in huge cardboard format, complete with usually one stamp from the host country is a source for some otherwise VERY scarce coins. I wonder if they just had some coin laying around and through them in. Most of the coins in these sets however are NOT FM issue, so one must look carefully.

20 hours ago, VickySilver said:

I've not been able to shake loose the other 2002 set, and the buyer of this one says that he also got the very rare 1984 Jamaica specimen set! I have not seen that and only one rumoured, perhaps in Russia. I am wondering if the Franklin Mint somehow had a European dealer or depot for some of their later offerings which never made it to the states.

Weren't their later coins made to order? I got a 1982 or 1983 set not long ago that came with a pamphlet about ordering which suggested they would make as many as they got order for (and I guess would explain the non-round numbers produced).

Good question - I  am not sure anyone knows the answer as records are quite scarce for especially the specimen sets (as opposed to the proof sets which were only a bit spotty). I do know that up until 1984, the FM would advertise in the various numismatic papers and journals and would  send out fliers to those on their mailing list that had purchased sets in previous years; even though I was in college I used to get specimen sets in those days which were about 30.00 USD per set as opposed to the proof sets which mostly included at least silver crowns and cost much more.

As they were in some difficulty for whatever reason  after a sale of the parent company, interest and sales petered out in the years after 1981. There also was the expose on the 60 Minutes TV show in 1978 that turned some away....

Update: no update.

I have found a few RM issued proof sets that are excessively rare (more than likely) as they simply do not appear for sale and searches for them are for nought. I wish we could shake loose some numbers on many of the sets struck for foreign entities but that is rather unlikely as we don't to my knowledge even have numbers on the Queen's Beasts coins.

I suspect that some of the silver crowns and sets that include them were made only to very small numbers, and much less than authorised mintages; the currency copper-nickel possibly even lower if they were not released as huge batches to the Central Banks or whatever local banking authority was used. I think this makes for an interesting area to collect in the old sense of the word as they may never have much value but generate some entertainment in the hunt.

On 8/27/2018 at 2:47 AM, VickySilver said:

I think this makes for an interesting area to collect in the old sense of the word as they may never have much value but generate some entertainment in the hunt.

It's frustrating I find (still working on my Cook Islands and Solomon Islands collections with no end in sight) but it's very satisfying ticking one off the list.

Nice. I have noticed a couple of the Falkland sets are quite rare - specimen an proof sets of 1992, 1999, and 2004.

Yikes, I still have not been able to find either the 2002 Jamaica Proof set, or the 1984 Franklin Mint Specimen Set. I have managed to get TWO of the goofy crowns of the former, featuring a somewhat portly female runner - who the heck designed this? Maybe I will be able to trade at a later date.

As always if anyone should locate any of this esoterica, or information please PM me.

PS - As a footnote, I was just able to purchase both obverse and reverse DIES for the Panama 1985 gold 20 balboas - they are cancelled with but one central chisel mark.

• Like 1

:o im a die person, got images of these at all? you also aware of the cancelled USA olympic dies that came with the sets? :)

On 12/5/2018 at 10:44 PM, VickySilver said:

Yikes, I still have not been able to find either the 2002 Jamaica Proof set, or the 1984 Franklin Mint Specimen Set. I have managed to get TWO of the goofy crowns of the former, featuring a somewhat portly female runner - who the heck designed this? Maybe I will be able to trade at a later date.

As always if anyone should locate any of this esoterica, or information please PM me.

PS - As a footnote, I was just able to purchase both obverse and reverse DIES for the Panama 1985 gold 20 balboas - they are cancelled with but one central chisel mark.

Yes indeed. I do hope that someone can send me an message/email so that they can assist with posting pictures of these dies. I just don't seem to be able to shrink my photos to fit and so appreciate help.

Interestingly I also have SIX more dies from the same source, including a couple which seem to show residua of gold in the devices - dies of this date were used to strike "off metal" gold coins/pieforts so maybe these are those dies?

Ah, thanks for that Kev.

What looks like brown crud in the devices on some of the Medio Balboa dies looks to be residual gold (!) from when the dies were used to strike proof piedfort pieces in gold, which was unauthorized. Not that I would, but I suppose if I were to "restrict" unauthorized pieces from unconcealed dies that there would be a market?? Well, i'm not of a larcenous mind so that won't happen.

Update: Nothing! These little suckers are very elusive.

I did find an internet photo of the Jamaica Gleaner newspaper from I think October of 1984 where the proofs and uncirculated sets along with solo proof 10 dollar coins were offered. From a different source there were evidently the struck totals on the 1984 Jammy Proof set were 268, with only 67 individual 10 Dollar coins struck - no records of how many specimen sets though.

• Like 1

This one is giving you quite the runaround Vicky 🙈

LOL, yea the thrill of the hunt. I know they are out there somewhere. I am thinking maybe try to run an ad in. a Jamaican paper. Don't want them getting hold of my accounts information though.

On 6/30/2015 at 6:48 AM, VickySilver said:

I bring this up from time to time, as I have only seen the individual crown on ebay a single time (2002 $25 With the World Junior Track and Field Female Runner). I admit to being a collector of these somewhat hideous "National Hero" series of coins in the minor denominations but have never seen the set or any direct evidence & the Royal Mint and Bank of Jamaica (BoJ) don't seem to want or be able to help. I'd like to see some confirmation of witness, a picture, or best case an actual set for sale.

Here is a 2002 Jamaica 50 cent proof in box of issue. Don't know if that will help you or not!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAMAICA-RARE-SILVER-PROOF-50-COIN-2002-YEAR-KM-184-MILLENNIUM-BOX-COA/323724747861?hash=item4b5f7fa455:g:mp0AAOSwEo5cgBd0

29 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

Actually it is $50 not 50 cent, the seller got the denomination correct, however it is a 2000 millennium coin, not a 2002 as he has it listed.....

Ah thanks for looking out fellas! I have three of those (LOL).....It is that darn whole 2002 set in proof     - and the 1984 specimen set - these are the bugaboos....

Long may they reign Vicky and keep your coin eye/ear sharp.😠😉

11 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Bob

Are you coming over the pond again? Or did the haggis put you off?

I only eat it once a year ....maybe being pickled in a nice single malt helps. I only do it as the wider family has Scottish connections but most of the bugg*rs are dead (deep fried mars bars Etc).

12 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Actually it is $50 not 50 cent, the seller got the denomination correct, however it is a 2000 millennium coin, not a 2002 as he has it listed.....

I noticed that after I made the post. Thanks B&C....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Bob

Are you coming over the pond again? Or did the haggis put you off?

I only eat it once a year ....maybe being pickled in a nice single malt helps. I only do it as the wider family has Scottish connections but most of the bugg*rs are dead (deep fried mars bars Etc).

Peter,

The haggis didn't put me off, but after having it twice in Scotland, I have decided I don't want any more. The Scots Whisky is another matter completely though! Ha,Ha!  I love the breakfast they put on in Britain though...good stuff. 

I don't have a trip planned at this time, but since my wife and I had such a good time visiting Scotland, England, and Wales the last time, it is on my radar for another trip sometime, preferably when a big coin expo is on! LOL...some things never change. :rolleyes: