British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Jamie mark

1837 three half pence

Someone find him one, please! He's been getting on my nerves about it for weeks. ;)

Hi Jamie, one has just popped up on ebay. Seems rather expensive but I have only recently managed to get one for myself and found it genuinely hard to find! Just thought I would let you know as maybe you can make the seller an offer?

Ebay -

Thanks guys, Jamie is on the case with it, I have seen via one of his facebook posts that his has contacted the seller.

• Like 1

I bought one and paid £100 for it. It is better then the one he is selling but probably not by much. I bought it purely because I have not seen another one in ages! The Spink prices are certainly well off (off the top of my head I think it is something like £30 in VF). I guess it all depends on how badly you want one but I would suggest that it is a date difficult enough that it is probably causing a few threehalfpence collectors some difficulty so there should be a market for it should you move it on. Good luck!

Bump - Jamie is still after one if anyone can help! :)

I can offer you the worlds ugliest pair of three halfpenny cufflinks:

4577_zpsyjkcikra.jpg

I don't know if Jamie ever got one of these, but I am after one too. Last one I need to complete my run of Threehalfpences...

Rarer than it seems?

12 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Rarer than it seems?

Very much so! I have had an Ebay alert going for more than 5 years now, and as far as I know only one has come up (referred to above) and I missed it. Another case where the books seem to have mis-estimated the rarity of a coin. (1827 Sixpence is another.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paddy said:

(1827 Sixpence is another.)

1827 sixpences are as rare as a rare thing.  I think I've only seen two in reasonable condition, but missed out on both.

29 minutes ago, Nick said:

1827 sixpences are as rare as a rare thing.  I think I've only seen two in reasonable condition, but missed out on both.

I have the 1827 Sixpence - about the same grade as this one on Ebay at the moment and it cost me £100 ten years ago,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1827-George-IV-Sixpence-Key-Date/122737600194?hash=item1c93bb26c2:g:cDUAAOSw4ZNZ05md

Interestingly my one has much smaller lettering than this one. Is there a recognised variety or has one of us got it wrong? :-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

Interestingly my one has much smaller lettering than this one. Is there a recognised variety or has one of us got it wrong? :-)

Not aware of any varieties, but I've seen so few I can't really comment.  Have you got a picture of the smaller lettering you can share?

9 hours ago, Nick said:

Not aware of any varieties, but I've seen so few I can't really comment.  Have you got a picture of the smaller lettering you can share?

OK Nick, here are pictures of mine. It seemed to me that the date, in particular, looked smaller on mine. I tried to check out the Ebay advertised one to make sure it wasn't a mis-identified shilling, but I think he has it right. If you think there is a difference we probably ought to re-open this discussion elsewhere on this board.

1827 6D 1 Red.JPG

1827 6D 2 Red.JPG

Just checked the catalogue, mintage of a bit over 30,000 compare to all the others in the low 100,000s - I guess that explains it.

Finally succeeded in getting my 1837 threehalfpence - picture posted in acquisitions.

Thanks for all the assistance!