British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

1902 Matt Proof Set Crown Down to Maundy

I have on approval what appears to be an aFDC/FDC boxed set, just wanted to post a pic on here as part of my 'due diligence' to check whether anyone can spot anything that I cannot, by way of concerns.

I haven't pictured the Maundy set, but they are of similar condition and all appear to be a match.

Thanks for any comments :)

1902_PF_01_PNG_zpsvns9ugmb.png

The shilling has been harshly wiped i'd say, REV going around the lion and crown and the OBV has hairlines. Apart from that it seems evenly matched for toning

Sixpence has similar on the OBV by the forehead

Edited by azda

Harsh critics we are, but I agree. I am a bit leery of the colouring about the lettering on the crown - has this been cleaned with something leaving residue? I can't seem to blow these pictures up much to help.

The florin reverse appears to have like lines running from 2-8 o'clock and the obv. bust perhaps having finger grease residue.

Overall, from pictures appears to be about average and not exceptional but not awful...

Thanks chaps, bigger pics for further confirmation:

1902_SX_PF_01_zpsowmjp9g9.png

1902_SH_PF_01_zpslf6bkpew.png

I like the crown best - totally yummy. :)

A great set Paul.

:)

Go for it if the price is right.

May we be boorish and ask price?

Part of a job lot with other proof related stuff (empty boxes, extra 1902 Maundy Penny), say around £850.

Are you of the same opinion Viccy now that I have posted bigger pics? And you Dave?

Ah, well, yes, an average set with no major problems other than the caveats. I don't think I can say the crown absolutely not ever cleaned, but at least not objectionably so.

A rough and liberal math for value might be: crown 200, half crown 125, florin 125, shilling 75, 6d 75, maundy 160 (plus 20 for the extra).

Think I would want another 125 off on price, what say Dave et al?

The shilling is still a bit off for me, but if you can live with it then its your call. Crown and half are nice though, plus it all seems evenly toned

the brush stroke like swirling tone lines are absolutely authentic see !/- rev and 6d Obv

and these should be on Both sides

this set has a mixture of lightly cleaned and untampered surfaces - I agree with some others above that of all the coins the crown has seen the most work