British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
evansuk2000

Advice about this 1902 Proof Crown...

I'm looking at buying a 1902 Proof crown...and have found the following example...

What do you guys think? Grade wise...and specifically about the 'shinier' high points...does it look like the coin may have been cleaned? And lastly what would you regard as a fair price?

Thanks! Need your advice!

Without seeing in person, my guess is that not so much cleaned with chemicals but perhaps has been rubbed or lightly polished with a cloth. This is typical of most proofs- because their finish is mirror like and once you handle them they have greasy finger marks...so... it's the soft cloth treatment and voila! a false shiny appearance (that most people won't notice)

Edited by Nicholas

It looks 'unnatural' to me, especially on the reverse, as if it has been over cleaned/polished, I would give it a wide berth personally.

I would be aiming for something that looks more like this, but that is partly down to personal preference with regard to proof coins:

1902_PF_CR_01_zpsy2yalpoz.png

But of course budget/what you are prepared to pay always comes into it. The coin you have pictured, possibly around the £180 mark? But for £100 more you could do a lot better.

Edited by Paulus

Agree with the above!

Incidentally, I noticed you signal as 'searching' in your screen shot! You're not with EE by any chance are you?

We've had three weeks of atrocious service from them!

Looks like the coin status international was selling over ebay, i saw, i left it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/17dx45ghn2oi1qo/f2%201902%20crown%20obv%202%20long%20set.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3t6bopq1hp2hfv7/f6%201902%20crown%20rev%202%20long%20set.jpg?dl=0

above are some links to what an original uncleaned proof crown should look like - apparently the blank coins were rinsed in mild acid hence the crackled tone - all over matte finish is what to look for