British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Tigger77

Threepenny Bit 1961 Error (CuproNickel)?

Hi to all,

I am a beginner coin collecting world, started April 15, currently cutting my teeth on Pre Decimal and working back over. Loving it so far.

To start my collection off, I have been bulk buying to fill up Whitman Coin folders bought on eBay.

One of my bulk lots were Brass Threepenny Bits to which I found an unusually silver looking one. A QE II 1961. I have tried to research this as much as I can but only finding two sources which both mention that it may have been struck on a Hong Kong 10c Blank.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this error coin before or have anymore info on it ie. mintage history and potential value.

I have been in touch with The Royal Mint today to see if they have any info on this coin

Please see my uploads and see what you think

Thank you for reading and happy hunting

post-8794-0-62022100-1434145608_thumb.jp

post-8794-0-93994200-1434145611_thumb.jp

post-8794-0-94979900-1434145613_thumb.jp

post-8794-0-51473900-1434145615_thumb.jp

post-8794-0-86576300-1434145616_thumb.jp

I'm not sure that it was struck on a Hong Kong 10c planchet: according to http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1574.html they're round not dodecagonal.

I'm inclined to think it's just been coated in a silver metal though I'm not sure how to non-destructively prove it.

Yes, as per MrT, the greatest likelihood is that you have a plated coin that was done with some sort of white metal - silver usually the most likely candidate. Specific gravity could check it, but even a weight to +/- 0.1 gm. would be good as well.

Please do not scratch either the face obv. or reverse. I had a halfpenny and a penny gotten some while back that I scratched the edge of which revealed coppery colour &this would likely be a bit brassy.

Hi guys,

Thanks for reading and your input. I gave the coin a wee scratch on the edge and looks to be solid, no brass colouring and there is no blistering on it either or discolouration from when I received it in a bulk lot.

I took it to a coin dealer in my city centre and he had a good look at it and offered me £500 for it there and then. (which took me back a bit)

Hopefully I will hear from the Royal Mint

I'll keep you informed

Can we get a weight? That might help a bit more and not too hard. Good luck on the Royal Mint inquiry as I have not had fortune with this before...

Just had another look at that coin in better light and yea it is plated. very gutted :( it was 7gms btw. sorry for any excitement.

Who was the dealer who nearly made a very expensive schoolboy error?

Just had another look at that coin in better light and yea it is plated. very gutted :( it was 7gms btw. sorry for any excitement.

If in doubt as in cases such as this, just remember that a few million people play the lottery, but rarely more than one person wins it. ;)

People with relatively little knowledge on the subject have a great tendency to be the proud owner of a numismatic rarity, usually after studiously ignoring any one of many pointers to more likely (i.e.common) candidates.

• Like 1

I wont name the dealer, but if I did sell it to him unbeknownst about the coins fake state, and he had done any further testing. I could have been in a lot of @%!*.

I admit, I am a newbie and thanks for the advice on testing the coin in question

We all have to start somewhere in our hobbies and interests from scratch, unless you are like Neo from the Matrix and have it downloaded direct to the brain