British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

futurama.shopuk

Shocking Experience from CGS - Coin Grading Services - Forum Advice Pl

9 minutes ago, Sword said:

Let's keep the 666 going a bit longer :)

A loyal CGS supporter does appear like a devil's advocate at times :)

Its not that i am loyal Sword everyone puts there coin into something.

I would like to think i can tell the difference between a UNC penny and an EF one.

However my five year old grandaughter is still getting to grips with grading :lol:

4 hours ago, Chingford said:

I think you will find Heritage have a very close relationship with PCGS

You are right John. Of the raw coins I sent to Heritage, about Half were sent to PCGS, and the other half were sent to NGC for slabbing, by Heritage.

20 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

You are right John. Of the raw coins I sent to Heritage, about Half were sent to PCGS, and the other half were sent to NGC for slabbing, by Heritage.

Out of interest Bob why did  they split them and did it follow a pattern ,such as varieties better ones etc went to one or was it just to keep them both happy ?.

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Its not that i am loyal Sword everyone puts there coin into something.

I would like to think i can tell the difference between a UNC penny and an EF one.

However my five year old grandaughter is still getting to grips with grading :lol:

Best get her a job with a grading company then!!!!!

• Like 1

Atleast in the uk you can submit a coin to auction regardless of weather its raw or in any companies plastic.

The Beast.

Edited by PWA 1967

6 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

If that's how CGS are viewed by one of the top auction houses internationally, then they're better to be steered clear of.  

It may be how they are viewed Mike but feel its more lets look after each other ,you cant submit one raw and you cant send one unless its in a slab with the companies we have a pint with.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Out of interest Bob why did  they split them and did it follow a pattern ,such as varieties better ones etc went to one or was it just to keep them both happy ?.

Pete, I am not sure why they split them up. They just wanted to have them slabbed before the sale, and I agreed. Both PCGS and NGC got both US coins and British coins. I think they may have wanted to give them both some business...not sure though, and I never asked. I do remember the cost though US coins were $15.75 each, and the British were $31.00 each. They did mis-identify some coins though, one a 1922  F192A, came back as a F192! I got that one corrected though.

11 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

16 hours ago, Chingford said:

Thanks Bob and atleast it was only a cheap one out of some they got wrong :lol:

It just made me think if they have a preference for certain types but probably not.

23 hours ago, Sword said:

Let's keep the 666 going a bit longer :)

A loyal CGS supporter does appear like a devil's advocate at times :)

Mmm..Devil's Advocaat...my favourite cocktail.

Except Tequila Mockingbird, obviously....:)

• Like 1

On 2/16/2018 at 9:37 AM, Chingford said:

Wrong. They're independent. That type of talk is just old womans rumor mill. Please only post facts.

In fact Heritage UK takes submissions for NGC, so they are hardly in a cozy relationship with PCGS.

17 hours ago, markflorida said:

Wrong. They're independent. That type of talk is just old womans rumor mill. Please only post facts.

In fact Heritage UK takes submissions for NGC, so they are hardly in a cozy relationship with PCGS.

Which I corrected, if you had read on.

UK Auction houses entertain several TPGs, LCA list PCGS and NGC coins as well as their own within their Auctions.

It is the Buyers discretion as to which TPG service they favour or have more confidence in, if any at all, the main reasoning behind using a UK based grader is the accuracy in identifying the coin and any variety, A search through posts within this forum will provide you with some facts about misattribution of variety and in some cases denomination that have happened with USA TPG when assessing UK Coinage

Maybe you could provide us with some Cert numbers from LCGS coins that you have crossed graded to PCGS and NGC to give us a fuller picture of your initial comments, Members could then look at both attributions and make an informed judgement

Guest Morning Star

CGS or LCGS as they are known now are very very sloppy to say the least. 

I was under the impression that CGS had a ultra high standard and it was near impossible to pass a cleaned coin, due to there scrupulous grading/test methods 

But....

A friend had a Florin rejected do to light verdigris ( no pitting ) the coin was vinger washed and resent using his parents address ( now I was under the impression  that grading company tested for cleaning agents ) so i said he had no chance , more the fool me , guess who lost the bet !

Anyway since then I’ve sent 3 washed silver coins and he’s into double figures. 

6 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Would it not just be better to buy ones that are ok in the first place ?.

Wouldn't that rather depend on whether you're collecting them for yourself or just out for making a rather unscrupulous quick buck?

7 hours ago, Guest Morning Star said:

CGS or LCGS as they are known now are very very sloppy to say the least. 

I was under the impression that CGS had a ultra high standard and it was near impossible to pass a cleaned coin, due to there scrupulous grading/test methods 

But....

A friend had a Florin rejected do to light verdigris ( no pitting ) the coin was vinger washed and resent using his parents address ( now I was under the impression  that grading company tested for cleaning agents ) so i said he had no chance , more the fool me , guess who lost the bet !

Anyway since then I’ve sent 3 washed silver coins and he’s into double figures. 

There's me been putting cleaning fluid on me chips and peas all these years

A couple of examples would be good for Forum scrutiny please

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest Morning Star

I agree theres nothing wrong with -slight- verdigris especially on silver but LCGS refuses to grade coins even with a single tiny tiny spot of verdigris , I can understand a copper penny all green but silver coins no , PCGS are quite happy to slab rainbow coloured coins which I think is going way to far .

Will I show an example no sorry , LCGS photo all there graded coins , so it would be very silly for me to do that .

if you think I’m jesting try it .

just don’t try and remove one spot or area ( that will be rejected ) it’s the whole coin or nothing . 

On 9/12/2018 at 2:32 PM, Guest Morning Star said:

I agree theres nothing wrong with -slight- verdigris especially on silver but LCGS refuses to grade coins even with a single tiny tiny spot of verdigris , I can understand a copper penny all green but silver coins no , PCGS are quite happy to slab rainbow coloured coins which I think is going way to far .

Will I show an example no sorry , LCGS photo all there graded coins , so it would be very silly for me to do that .

if you think I’m jesting try it .

just don’t try and remove one spot or area ( that will be rejected ) it’s the whole coin or nothing . 

I know they kick them out for the slightest trace of verd. But as you say their standards are not as rigorous when it comes to certain types of toning. 

No doubt you have seen the CGS graded 85 Specimen 1935 that I posted some while ago that was wracked with verdigris!

On 9/15/2018 at 2:16 PM, VickySilver said:

No doubt you have seen the CGS graded 85 Specimen 1935 that I posted some while ago that was wracked with verdigris!

Just seen this post.

No - can you post the pic again, or link to?

IMG_0205.jpg

There you go Mike as dont think Eric can put the picture up.

41 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

IMG_0205.jpg

There you go Mike as dont think Eric can put the picture up.

Thanks Pete - glaring and bad. How could they have missed it?

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Thanks Pete - glaring and bad. How could they have missed it?

The verd must have developed after the coin has been slabbed.

36 minutes ago, Sword said:

The verd must have developed after the coin has been slabbed.

Possibly, but not definitely it would appear. Doing a bit of research and it would appear that despite the "no slabbing of verd coins" mantra, coins with verd still do get slabbed. 

I'm no chemist so I've no idea the extent to which slabbing protects from the initial development of verd to the point where it becomes visible. Presumably if there are contaminants present when the coin is slabbed, these will subsequently have a deleterious effect on the coin.

Bit of a chicken and egg situation.

The thing about it is that the "origin" of the verdigris appears to be a more solid oxidation spot with a halo around it that is expanding. Naturally I did not have the privilege of viewing prior to purchase. I don't believe it had been slabbed all that long prior to purchase however. And now I have a bunch of these Specimen 1935 Rockers. I guess because I like the design and that at one time the specimens were going for very little more than currency. 

I am still looking for an absolute pristine currency, and the one with the garbled edge (dropped?) motto.