British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

futurama.shopuk

Shocking Experience from CGS - Coin Grading Services - Forum Advice Pl

When i sent my 1860 halfpeeny in with the grading price set at the lowest price due to what i paid i got an invoice 3 days after they got it with the higher amount.

I also emailed and said i'd only paid 60 euros forthe coin amd asked why they were charging me more, still waiting on the reply 25 days later.

I really dislike this womans atritude, she needs a good kick inthe arse, i pity the man whi's married to her.

She isn't married.....

When i sent my 1860 halfpeeny in with the grading price set at the lowest price due to what i paid i got an invoice 3 days after they got it with the higher amount.

I also emailed and said i'd only paid 60 euros forthe coin amd asked why they were charging me more, still waiting on the reply 25 days later.

I really dislike this womans atritude, she needs a good kick inthe arse, i pity the man whi's married to her.

She isn't married.....

I can't for the life of me think of a reason why she's not married

• Like 2

You can buy the plastic holders that CGS use on ebay. Look up this number on ebay

Dave, can you open and re-use these slabs or are they permanently sealed once slabbed ?

R

They are sealed from what I understand and you need to use force to get them open.

You can buy the plastic holders that CGS use on ebay. Look up this number on ebay

Dave, can you open and re-use these slabs or are they permanently sealed once slabbed ?

R

My concern with plastic holders and coin capsules for that matter is that the size of hole is in mm increments. So for a crown size 38.6mm, one needs 39mm capsules / holder. Since this is not an exact fit, I am worried that the coin will get high points friction over time.

Would crown size fit into a 38mm foam inset for these holders? Is it possible to get capsules that fit the coin size exactly?

I had to break the slab with a cutter to get my coin out , only the label and the coin survived !

R

My concern with plastic holders and coin capsules for that matter is that the size of hole is in mm increments. So for a crown size 38.6mm, one needs 39mm capsules / holder. Since this is not an exact fit, I am worried that the coin will get high points friction over time.

Would crown size fit into a 38mm foam inset for these holders? Is it possible to get capsules that fit the coin size exactly?

There is a piece of what feels like rubber around the edge of the coin to hold it in place to stop any friction

TBH I have just received back my 4 sovereigns from CGS with no problems whatsoever, guess I must be really lucky or have low expectations.

Guest Yingyang76

Semra and Paul set new standards of pathetic numismatics. They have frequently attributed incorrectly and I have had to send back, email and call when I've noticed they they do not seem to know one coin from any other. Recently because I politely pointed out that my cooking s were not yet graded after nearly 4 months they immediately replied with stupid low grades and changed their attributions that I had already taken a screen shot of.

They are pathetic tin pot nobodies and I will be seeing them again in the county court.

27 minutes ago, Guest Yingyang76 said:

Semra and Paul set new standards of pathetic numismatics. They have frequently attributed incorrectly and I have had to send back, email and call when I've noticed they they do not seem to know one coin from any other. Recently because I politely pointed out that my cooking s were not yet graded after nearly 4 months they immediately replied with stupid low grades and changed their attributions that I had already taken a screen shot of.

They are pathetic tin pot nobodies and I will be seeing them again in the county court.

"my cooking s were not yet graded"? What grade did they give you? Tasty or not tasty?

Seriously, CGS is no more and so there is no point complaining about them. 

And there is hardly any point complaining about LCGS either as one shouldn't have pay the £99 annual membership unless one was fairly happy with the old CGS. (I personally will never pay the membership fee myself).

Why get your coins graded? If you don't know what you have.I would steer clear of collecting coins.Coins in plastic coffins are not for me.Each to their own.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Why get your coins graded? If you don't know what you have.I would steer clear of collecting coins.

In a nut shell, Pete! 

I am jumping in now on this discussion as I feel it is relevant. I recently broke out 4 x CGS coins. All graded from 80-96. I submitted them to NGC (Why because I am guaranteed to get more money at auction with NGC or PCGS than CGS or LCGS, I don't apologize for this, I am a dealer as well as collector and need to put food on my table).

The CGS 80 came back "AU Details Cleaned". Because of CGS slack grading I lost money on this coin :angry:

The others came back between MS63 and MS65. I suspected they 96 was overgrazed by CGS and I was correct. The grading by a world recognized grading company will cove rtes grading costs and the loss I made on the cleaned coin. I am other dealers will always bid more on big ticket auctions for PCGS or NGC graded coins.

When I think about it I should not be surprised. LCGS are really just dealers like many others. They have their own grading service and they use it for coins they sell, so it's the police, policing the police. This is why we use grading companies such as PCGS or NGC. They are in the business of grading coins and make money certifying coins and not selling them. LCGS are in the business of selling coins and as a side line offer a grading service. When you consider some coins can jump sometimes tens of thousands for one grade, does LCGS really have the coin collectors best interest at heart?

While I like the Sheldon scale, I also see nothing wrong with LCGS 100 scale, but with my hand on my heart can not trust LCGS to do the right thing for a coin collector.

One other point, the CGS/LCGS slabs are crap, they don't fit in proper holders, are hard to stack of you like me travel with 50-80 graded coins in my brief case, but its a moot point.

If you are a CSG graded coin collector, one day you or your next of kin may wish to sell them. They/you may have to sell them in one go and contact a dealer or place them at a large auction house like Heritage Auction/ Stacks & Bowers. Bidders will not the grading seriously and the final hammer price will be much lower. Knowing this I wonder why people waste money on LCGS service?

• Like 4

I sent about 100 coins to Heritage to include in one of their auctions. Two of the coins were graded by CGS. I was advised, by Heritage, that those two coins would either have to be sent to NGC or PCGS for regrading, or returned to me. I chose to have them returned, as they were not that scarce of a issue (one was a 1946 dot).

17 hours ago, RLC35 said:

I sent about 100 coins to Heritage to include in one of their auctions. Two of the coins were graded by CGS. I was advised, by Heritage, that those two coins would either have to be sent to NGC or PCGS for regrading, or returned to me. I chose to have them returned, as they were not that scarce of a issue (one was a 1946 dot).

If that's how CGS are viewed by one of the top auction houses internationally, then they're better to be steered clear of.  

Edited by 1949threepence
spelling error
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

If that's how CGS are viewed by one of the top auction houses internationally, then they're better to be steered clear of.  

I think you will find Heritage have a very close relationship with PCGS

Think we are forgetting something here.....The coin :)

If and its a big IF :) somebody here in the UK was to send coins to Heritage they would have to be graded ,so you would take your coin out of your capsule and they would grade it.

The coin is still the same one ,so should anyone in England choose Heritage to sell there collection they do exactly the same regardless weather its in a different slab or a coin cabinet they take it out and send it..I only know of one person in the UK who has sent a full collection to Heritage so i dont think it effects the majority of collectors.

The number of people who send coins to cgs on the forum you can count on one finger :D.the others dont post anymore.

As far as this forum 99% dont send them to anyone and i also have a collection that is raw.

MARK FLORIDA.....Welcome to the forum you are obviously very knowledgeable and i would like to hear your views and comments on all the other threads .The most important thing about the forum is coins and IMO not what it goes into as people have all types of capsules,envelopes,boxes,cabinets and slabs.

Pete.

Pete- I was going to 'like' your post, but I thought it looked good for you to have a reputation of '666' a little longer....:)

Nice of Mark Florida to show the other side of slabbing......hmmm...maybe, just maybe,

I'd use a certification body, if i was a dealer, but for now I'm really happy with Allen's excellent grading book......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

Pete- I was going to 'like' your post, but I thought it looked good for you to have a reputation of '666' a little longer....:)

I'm not the only one who had a wry smile about the 666 then :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chingford said:

I think you will find Heritage have a very close relationship with PCGS

What about NGC?

24 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I'm not the only one who had a wry smile about the 666 then :)

Let's keep the 666 going a bit longer :)

A loyal CGS supporter does appear like a devil's advocate at times :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

What about NGC?

I stand corrected, It is NGC not PCGS as I have quoted earlier