British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

greenmeme

Beginner Trying to Spot a Fake...

Hi Folks,

Have been reading the forum for some time (thank you!) but joined today to post.

My father had a fairly small collection of coins but never got round to sorting it very well before he passed away, I'm currently trying to sort it and am enjoying the experience and feeling close to him. Initially I was very excited when I came across what I thought to be a Gold Sovereign, however I have now read up about fakes but am still too much of a novice to be able to tell the difference.

It is Edward VII 1904, I assume made in London (Please see attached pictures) I don't have very accurate scales but it weighs between 4-5grams - I think a bit light?

Any advice on its authenticity (and how to tell!) would be much appreciated!

post-8779-0-38154300-1432730556_thumb.jppost-8779-0-05458500-1432730555_thumb.jp

Sovereigns are 22mm diameter. Half sovereigns are 19mm diameter and half the weight. i.e.4g. Yours is a half sovereign if it agrees with these dimensions. Whatever, in that grade it will only have bullion value. It isn't a rare year, so unlikely to be counterfeited.

Welcome greenmeme. Its most likely a half Sov at that weight and as Rob says, bullion value only. Feel free to post your pictures should you need help with any other coins.

Value comes with grade and rarity, silver coins up to 1920 were .925 so if you have any which are of low grade then they may have silver content value.

Edited by azda

Dave

Our Scottie pal from Dundee :rolleyes:

Off to the Suffolk show in the morning and If I see a Canary my dogs teeth have been sharpened

Letting off a bit of anger although North Norfolk is our retirement.

Some nice Old boys up there Stalham butchers with hot meat sarnies plus £1.00 pints and hot crab you can.t do any better :D

Hi & Welcome greenmeme,

Great site youve joined.

Your coin does not appear to be a fake and I agree with the others 1/2 Sovereign.

Would be to your advantage to post some pics of your late fathers coins.

There are just so many experts on this site, that are always willing to give proffessional advice on grading,varieties values etc.

They have all been very helpful to me.

best regards

• Like 1

A nice coin and a nice memory of your father.

How old would your father have been ? Might he have taken this from circulation or more likely that it was handed down to him ?

(maybe he was a collector)

Would have been a fair bit of money in the day. My Gran put aside a 1937 crown (Oz), which was a fair bit of money too....

cheers and welcome

Garrett.

Many thanks for all the replies and help folks.

Yes it measures 19mm and weighs 4g so checks out as a half sov! He wouldn't have taken it out of circulation as he was born 1936 so I assume it was passed down from his mother.

His collection consists mainly of British silver and some coppers, he has a small amount of foreign, mainly Commonwealth countries, but a crazy amount of sixpences, about 20 pre 1947 and over 100 post.

I was wondering if there is a reference book or catalog for coins, like Stamp collectors refer to Stanley Gibbons Catalog is there an equivalent for coins?

One thing I'd like to look up but cant seem to find from internet research (hence the need for a catalog) is if there was a time in young Queen Victoria's reign when they made coins with the heads and tails opposing? These five below all have the heads "upside down" to the tails, what was the time period this happened in?

Many thanks again folks and apologies if the pictures come out massive, I can't seem to add them in to the post as before?

Oh no the pictures didn't come out!
Well the coins are an 1881 and an 1872 shilling, and 1872 6d, a folrin which I can't find a date on but she is wearing a crown, and a very worn 3d with a date of 18??

All with the heads and tails "opposing" (terminology?) was this the way they were produced for a period of time? :) Thank you!

Oh no the pictures didn't come out!

Well the coins are an 1881 and an 1872 shilling, and 1872 6d, a folrin which I can't find a date on but she is wearing a crown, and a very worn 3d with a date of 18??

All with the heads and tails "opposing" (terminology?) was this the way they were produced for a period of time? :) Thank you!

The florin date is on the OBV (queens head side) and will most probably be in Roman numerals such as MDCCCLVII. The later sixpences will have been taken from circulation judging from the date he was born, hence the fact there is so many of them Edited by azda

When dealing with antiques, you need a certain level of expertise with a number of years of experience within the field to truly know what is real and what is not just by the first glance. However, with the many experts here in this forum, I bet you can grasp the concept within this field in just a while.

I think your posts are more designed to provide a link to your shop than make a meaningful contribution to numismatics given their lack of useful content. I find it rather pointed that your shop has 50 categories listed for silver and silverware, yet not one is for coins. Maybe you have a connection to the person who came on here trying to get people believe that it was worth buying a £10 piece of silver for a £100 because of the investment potential?

i also smell a wrong un :)