British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

rpeddie

Charles Three pound Trial piece

Just been reading over the BNJ articles and there is a reference to a 3 pound Charles trial piece.

Just wondering if there are any good pictures kicking about of this coin?

was described as a high relief and was interested to see what a high relief hammered looked like :)

thanks in advance :)

which reference were you looking at

firstly was reading

"The Oxford Mint and the Triple Unites of Charles I" from '52-'54

which mentioned to the coin being shown to the society in 1941.

In '41 it led me here

Baldwins 48 lot 5023 (26/9/2006). It is scratched now as it was stolen and subsequently recovered.

you guys are ace, obviously need to crack up on my researching skills :)

post-7823-0-21080400-1432575981_thumb.jp

while i am pestering you guys, there is mentions of proof 'gun money' coins struck in gold and silver.

Ive seen the silver one sold by heritage i think, but not the gold one, any idea where to start? :)

If uncertain, always start with Montagu assuming it is in the time period. Part IV lots 282 and 283 were large and small shillings struck in gold, but I have no idea where they went or even if they are still outside a museum. They weren't illustrated.

Gun money was supposedly made from melted guns during James 2. However I didn't know they made guns out of gold...!

My guess is that the silver and gold issues were Specimens.

I should have said that if you don't have any joy in Montagu, then move onto Murdoch. Part IV had both the Montagu shillings plus a crown and halfcrown. Unfortunately all were bought by dealers (Spink and Whelan). Lots 62 - 65 refer.

post-381-0-18238900-1432577282_thumb.jpg

post-381-0-54342800-1432577300_thumb.jpg

And the illustrations.

post-381-0-54890200-1432577372_thumb.jpg

thanks for that rob ill keep looking :)

in SCBC there is a gold 'extremely rare': halfcrown 1690 april, gold small size HC 1690, 4 different shillings and 3 sixpence in gold.

also continuing there are apparently a 'finer' gun money crown done in gold too.

Best bet is Ryan, Lockett, Mitchell, Waite Sanderson, Whetmore, Norweb, and any of the large gold collections in the past 30 years. Sorry, I don't follow gun money.

yea no problem was a shot in the dark anyway.

Got much further than i expected saw the silver one a while back and browsing through the books and was curious :)

Gun money was supposedly made from melted guns during James 2. However I didn't know they made guns out of gold...!

My guess is that the silver and gold issues were Specimens.

They were

post-5057-0-07753600-1432585369_thumb.jp

post-5057-0-75690400-1432585418_thumb.jp

Edited by azda

it appears that none have sold for 10-20 years at least (gold ones), there anywhere at all (quite a few of the reference books i am yet to aquire still) as to how many were struck?

checked ESC but doesn't look like it falls into that books catagory(for the silver proofs anyway)

No. Gun money is only listed in the Irish references. Numbers you can probably count on one hand, 1 or 2 gold, maybe a few more for the silver.

well Bond got his golden gun somewhere <_<

Didnt know Bond was around in the time of James2..☺️

well Bond got his golden gun somewhere <_<

It was Scaramanga's gun that was gold.

The man with the golden gun

and 3 nipples?

and 3 nipples?

Aye, thats the bugger.

I guess its a pet peeve of mine (obviously NOT a collector of these bits) that all these Charlie and even Cromwell Broads and Unites and their multiples are supposedly rare and yet show up with alarming frequency. Rarity is trumpeted about much as with the Bun pennies and the hypervarietals....

I guess its a pet peeve of mine (obviously NOT a collector of these bits) that all these Charlie and even Cromwell Broads and Unites and their multiples are supposedly rare and yet show up with alarming frequency. Rarity is trumpeted about much as with the Bun pennies and the hypervarietals....

Some are, some aren't. The original post was about a unique piece. Charles I unites and triples are not rare, nor are the Cromwell broads particularly so. The crowns et infra are common, but obviously desirable. The pricing on these is too high in my opinion, but as long as the number of collectors holds up there is not likely to be a drop in the foreseeable future. Cromwell 50/- pieces are a bit more exclusive as there are only 15(?) known, one of which is horrible and repaired, but the other 14 are ok.