British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  

Who is that chap in the USA that does an excellent job at fixing damaged coins?

I may want to use him too ...

Stockwell in Kentucky, I believe.

Bear in mind that this is a very long procedure in most cases, but the results are usually spectacular

Chris, The guy is as follows.

Alan Stockton

452 Stockton Rd

Monticello, KY 42633-6612

USA

CRSstockton@aol.com

www.crs-stockton.com

606-348-4973

This is the guy that fixed the 1849 Penny you sold me, and fixed it for $85.00...and did a pretty good job.

Be prepared: you will get your coin back sometime between 6 months and a year and one half....I am not kidding either. This guy is buried with work. You can send him a pic of the coin and he will send you back a quote for the repair. He lives in the beautiful Cumberland Mountain area of South Eastern Kentucky, that would remind you of the Highlands of Scotland...remote but nice! I hope this helps......

Wow, some of those before and after pictures on his website are insane..

There is also a guy in the Shetland isles that does repairs aswell

Thanks! I couldn't find those old emails with the 1849 penny Bob, try as I might!

One of our members had a 1905 holed 1/- done.

I'm Mr Picky but it was brilliant work.

I've got a 1798 guinea with a smidge of solder.

I will risk this myself.

One of our members had a 1905 holed 1/- done.

I'm Mr Picky but it was brilliant work.

I've got a 1798 guinea with a smidge of solder.

I will risk this myself.

I was looking for the original post earlier today,as remember how good a job was done.

There is also a guy in the Shetland isles that does repairs aswell

Do you have any contact details?

Can we remind the lazy amongst us with pictures of the 1849 penny and '05 shilling? I seem to vaguely recall the later...

Thanks! I couldn't find those old emails with the 1849 penny Bob, try as I might!

You only own the whole great monster that the PDF is, what chance have you got? Don't envy the management of such a site, but I'm eternally grateful that you do! :D

That sounded SO sucky, after I reread it, that I'd better blow you a big x to get it back in context! :)

The re-holing is just amazing on these. You can't even tell when the picture is blown up either, you'd never have a clue with the coin just in hand..

amazing..!...I've got one of those Australian holey dollars...do you think he could fix that?

Can we remind the lazy amongst us with pictures of the 1849 penny and '05 shilling? I seem to vaguely recall the later...

Vicky, I didn't post a picture of the 1849 on the Forum, I only sent it to Chris, as he was the one who sold it to me. I have since bought a new PC, and do not have the picture of the coin now, but it had 3 or 4 really bad gouges in the Obverse of the coin. I had the coin repaired 8 or 9 years ago.

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post, is the fact that Stockton always lightly polishes the coins he repairs, as you can see from the 1905 shilling pictured elsewhere on the thread. Still, he does a very good repair, of a otherwise unsellable coin.

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post, is the fact that Stockton always lightly polishes the coins he repairs, as you can see from the 1905 shilling pictured elsewhere on the thread. Still, he does a very good repair, of a otherwise unsellable coin.

But please keep in mind to mention the repair prior selling such item. I would become really angry, upset and aggressive if someone sells me a coin which is virtual worthless...

There are many repaired coins arround with filled holes, removed loops or smoothed rim nicks. Please keep in mind that (at least here in Germany) selling expensive (repaired) coins at full price does destroy your reputation. No serious collector would trust neither in you nor the material you offer....

But please keep in mind to mention the repair prior selling such item. I would become really angry, upset and aggressive if someone sells me a coin which is virtual worthless...

There are many repaired coins arround with filled holes, removed loops or smoothed rim nicks. Please keep in mind that (at least here in Germany) selling expensive (repaired) coins at full price does destroy your reputation. No serious collector would trust neither in you nor the material you offer....

Very well worth stressing this ChKy. It is a very significant event in the coin's timeline/provenance, and if not mentioned and later discovered would understandably provoke negativity towards the seller!

• Like 1

Yes, I saw an 1862 half sov he'd done with not so great a result...

WOW! What a rant! You must have a thorn under your Saddle! :o

Not familiar with riding horses ;)

But I had bad experiences with repaired coins like formerly mounted specimen (I really mean coins in this regard, not females) ;)

Still a valid point ChKy.

In the other post titled "A blast from the past" Gary 1000 said he was told some people send him up to fifty coins at a time.

That tells me if they send fifty they must be dealers and are they resold with the repair mentioned ?

• Like 1