British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Guess The Grade Revisted

The 1893 florin is UNC maybe a weak strike I have a PCGS MS 65 of this.Bought from CC.

A quality coin

The middle coin is spot on.

Notice eye wear.

The 1901 would not appeal

Edited by Peter

In my opinion the 1893 florin is graded correctly, the 1743 crown is VF+, problem free with great eye appeal and wonderful 'in-hand', the 1901 is a tad generous as I also have this 1893 CGS 78 of the same type, comparisons below for comments:

1893_vs_1901_HC_CGS_78_Comparison_zps7t6

975916.jpg

The above is my MS 65 Florin

I just collect examples

Although I fancy the date set for 1893

BTW it was graded by PCGS and bought from CC

I do love it.

I've bought a few slabbed farthings from CC who now rest out of plastic and in my FARTHING cabinet (thanks Neil)

In my opinion the 1893 florin is graded correctly, the 1743 crown is VF+, problem free with great eye appeal and wonderful 'in-hand', the 1901 is a tad generous as I also have this 1893 CGS 78 of the same type, comparisons below for comments:

1893_vs_1901_HC_CGS_78_Comparison_zps7t6

I am surprised that there have been no comments on this so far, are people not finding a significant difference in the grades of these 2 coins that have been graded identically by CGS? One of the main concerns around TPGs is their consistency and objectivity ...

Must say with the exception of the edge nick at 6, i really love the 1893 coin

I think that a lot of the time the photos dont do the coins justice paulus.

Also the pictures vary from batch to batch that i have sent and wish i had mine photographed properly before i sent them.

Whenever i now buy one already slabbed i look at the blown up picture and if its looks nice always better in hand.