British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned Hammered Silver!

Following the popularity and drool-worthy pics from the 'toned milled silver' and 'toned bronze/copper' equivalent threads, I thought I would start this one ... looking forward to seeing some stunning examples and gorgeous photography! :)

I'll kick off with a couple from my meagre (but slowly growing) hammered collection

Charles_I_SH_S2791_My_Pic_02_zpsrrja5jde

ND_CHI_SH_Cross_Calvary_Over_Lis_Lightwe

Well, bloody 'ell, a round C1 shilling with all its letters complete and in their singular form, IIFF YYOOU KKNOO\\W WWH/\AT II MEEE/\AI\N?

Not something you see every day! :D

162-Copy.jpg

Do you think they might have slabbed that one as it flicked from the dies?

Well, bloody 'ell, a round C1 shilling with all its letters complete and in their singular form, IIFF YYOOU KKNOO\\W WWH/\AT II MEEE/\AI\N?

Not something you see every day! :D

S-S-S-Sort of! The top one is the ex-Heritage ex-NGC slab one from TG, the second from Rob, both posted previously when I acquired them, but hopefully better pics, although still not showing blue and gold toning off :(

Edited by Paulus

It might have been rejected for the peck marks. Sometimes they grade, but other times not. Peck marks are one very inconsistent parameter as far as the TPGs go. However, I for my part am usually willing to take the ungradable crap. :)

Very attractive Rob, attribution?

Cnut, quatrefoil type from Crewkerne.

I will delve into medieval and earlier at some point, I have no doubt!

I was going to sell this, but now back in the fold

1551_Shilling_01_zpsijyj1giy.png

Again, beautifully toned, but not evident enough in the pics

However, I for my part am usually willing to take the ungradable crap. :)

:lol: someone has to! :)
  • Like 1

Yes, I agree, I don't get any quality tone at all from the pictures!

Do you ever try to correct the lighting/saturation/etc. with software, or are these straight off the camera?

Yes, I agree, I don't get any quality tone at all from the pictures!

Do you ever try to correct the lighting/saturation/etc. with software, or are these straight off the camera?

Straight off the camera Stu, which I believe is pretty faithful to what it is 'seeing'. I only see the toning 'in-hand' when it is tilted at certain angles, in a certain light. I don't like to play with the pic with software, somehow it seems 'wrong' (I work in IT and not a technophobe!). I think my pics have improved but would love to produce the sort of quality that I see from DNW and BRG ... yours are pretty good too!

I don't see it as lying, if you can tell me the coins look a certain way in-hand, but the camera hasn't represented that somehow?

If you could turn that image into something that was closer to what you held in your hand, that wouldn't be unfaithful, would it?

And for the record, I agree, your images are a million times better! They're not blue anymore! ;):)

Edit: I mean, look at Rob's cnut with all that pink lippy in the legend? :D

Edited by Coinery

Very nice lippy, I'll grant him that! :)

Another day it would be different. I just wish I could take consistent pictures. Trying to find a happy balance of flash, natural light, shading the flash to stop glare, and all the other settings on the camera is a nightmare.

I thought Rob scanned his coins, maybe I should try it! Either way, it shows some very nice toning ...

Another day it would be different. I just wish I could take consistent pictures. Trying to find a happy balance of flash, natural light, shading the flash to stop glare, and all the other settings on the camera is a nightmare.

Couldn't agree more Rob ... I gave up with flash some time ago though, have you tried lighting the subject with daylight bulbs?

No flash usually means they are too dark and tinged with some colour other than how it looks in hand. Sometimes it gives ok results just using the room lighting, but suspect the camera is playing up at this point.

It looks very natural, and the rose-tone looks about spot on if you ask me? Quality image! :)

It looks very natural, and the rose-tone looks about spot on if you ask me? Quality image! :)

You don't want to know how many images I had to take to get a good one.

I've never used the flash setting ever! I've always added artificial light.

My current (and I mean current, as I'm forever changing my mind) set-up involves two desk lamps, one with a daylight bulb in, which I position as close to directly over the coin as I can, without it blocking the lens, and the other with a warm light bulb in, which I hold in my hand and point more-or-less at 45 degrees, moving it back and forth, until I like what I see in the view finder!

A pain to set it all up, but I do photograph in batches to justify the effort!

A Harry Enfield joke about premature ejaculation came to mind when I saw the Cnut.

Here's my offering which is a very attractive blue-grey and is likewise a pain-in-the-arse to photograph.

37bf384fb5eee8024dd272231489ee97.jpg