British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I wish, as I've had to use the least favourite method of mine for buying coins, the proxy bid!

You mean the lottery Stewie

You mean the lottery Stewie

Yarp! Not good, is it!

They really should get the sale room fully onboard, it would do them endless good? Certainly no harm could come of it!

Maybe they prefer the stability of knowing they've got X100k in the bag, even before the auction takes place?

Anyone going ?.

If you factor in 3 hrs each way a tank full of fuel and the lottery of an auction (if I like it I assume others will)

I prefer a fair.

I've only done the Midland and Wakefield (plus a one off at Norwich....I came home with a 1760 holster pistol bought from Mr Vosper.

It's a shame they don't even provide a sound-link so you can listen live!

I wish, as I've had to use the least favourite method of mine for buying coins, the proxy bid!

Chances are coinery if you get it ,will be at your top bid and not less.

Yes, it's not very often I get a nice surprise with proxy bids! :(

Yes i am laid up after an operation and ended up leaving a few bids.

Unfortunately not the best idea,but i suppose it stops me getting carried away.

I have used London Coin Auctions 3 times previously using proxy bids. Being in Scotland I can't attend very easily. A few lots I have been the winning bidder at my max bid, but these were at the top estimate amounts, but I've also left a £250 bid and won the coin for £170. I've left 9 bids this time with a few above estimates so I will see how they go.

How soon do they put the hammer prices up?

Usually a few days. Its a long wait.

How soon do they put the hammer prices up?

Probably on Monday I think. They have been very prompt with publishing hammer prices in the last few auctions.

I am rarely lucky with proxy bids in auctions. The lots I won were usually at my max bids. The few I got below my max bids have issues not apparent from the photos. The descriptions in LCA are generally rather good though. Made two bids this time.

4 coins won at LCA in the last 2 years, all at my max bids, the main reason I only like bidding live. Having said that, I was pleased with all 4 coins.

I asked if there were rules about this in a thread a few weeks ago ... are there? If yours is the highest commission bid (why is it called that?), then to my mind, unless there are higher floor bids, you should win the item for 1 increment above the next highest bid ....

If yours is the only commission/proxy bid, and there are no other bids at all, then what? 1 increment above the low estimate?

If they simply jump to your max bid as the opening bid, that seems wholly wrong ... but that appears to happen sometimes at auctions on TV shows such as Flog It! and Antiques Roadtrip.

Edited by Paulus

I asked if there were rules about this in a thread a few weeks ago ... are there? If yours is the highest commission bid (why is it called that?), then to my mind, unless there are higher floor bids, you should win the item for 1 increment above the next highest bid ....

If yours is the only commission/proxy bid, and there are no other bids at all, then what? 1 increment above the low estimate?

If they simply jump to your max bid as the opening bid, that seems wholly wrong ... but that appears to happen sometimes at auctions on TV shows such as Flog It! and Antiques Roadtrip.

Many auction houses reserve the right to bid on behalf of the seller up to the reserve price. So if a high reserve have been set, the auctioneer can start at your highest bid (if it is the same or less than the reserve) I guess.

Many auction houses reserve the right to bid on behalf of the seller up to the reserve price. So if a high reserve have been set, the auctioneer can start at your highest bid (if it is the same or less than the reserve) I guess.

I'm fine with that, if there is a reserve

Yay new coins for my collection.

I tried to get more hammered but unlucky this time.

Hammered coins i mean. :ph34r:

post-7579-0-46964100-1433757589_thumb.jp

post-7579-0-55248200-1433757592_thumb.jp

post-7579-0-22059200-1433757624_thumb.jp

post-7579-0-02364700-1433757626_thumb.jp

Results are up for anyone interested.

Thanks. Initial investigation shows that the pennies either did well or were left unsold.

Well, I've just won a nice little lot of 5 UNC or near so late victoria sixpences at £180, whereas I was willing to go to £220, so I'm £40 to the good on my max bid.

• Like 1

Well, I've just won a nice little lot of 5 UNC or near so late victoria sixpences at £180, whereas I was willing to go to £220, so I'm £40 to the good on my max bid.
Well done, Dave, and that's reassuring to hear!

I fell short by £35 so not my day! But there are plenty others! :)

I got four out of my five lots - all sixpences:

2688 - 1855 5 over 3 - UNC - £70 under my max

2691 - 1857 - longer line under six pence - UNC or near so - at my max

2694 - 1859 9 over 8 - GEF - £140 under my max

2709 - 1871 - No die No. - EF - £60 under my max.

I failed to get 2698 - 1963 sixpence. I bid £650 and it went for £850. Second time I have failed on an 1863 :(

I got four out of my five lots - all sixpences:

2688 - 1855 5 over 3 - UNC - £70 under my max

2691 - 1857 - longer line under six pence - UNC or near so - at my max

2694 - 1859 9 over 8 - GEF - £140 under my max

2709 - 1871 - No die No. - EF - £60 under my max.

I failed to get 2698 - 1963 sixpence. I bid £650 and it went for £850. Second time I have failed on an 1863 :(

That seals it then, Jag! They seem reasonably up front on the proxy system!

Congrats on the wins! :)