British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

post-509-0-67759600-1431206446_thumb.jpgpost-509-0-72556400-1431206475_thumb.jpgpost-509-0-94986400-1431206494_thumb.jpgpost-509-0-37666000-1431206514_thumb.jpg

Here is a nice clear 1880, 8 over 8 Victorian Penny. The second pic also shows the over punched "O" in the ONE, which is always present on this coin. Gouby has assigned BP1880Af to this coin. I picked it up on eBay!

• Like 1

Lovely find

How rare is this coin?

I picked one up at the Midland Coin Fair recently, only about fine but only a couple of quid. But I know of one in near EF which might be available for a premium over the 'normal' 1880 price. How much of a premium do you penny guys think would be merited?

I know Gouby only knew of one at the time of his 2009 publication, but how many of you guys have one?

Jerry

I dont have one jerry and never heard of one above fine.

Hard to put a price on i would of thought as nothing to compare it with,but definately worth a premium in that grade.

How much i think is down to what your happy to pay.

Looking at Bobs again thats probably as good as it gets.

There must be better ones out there

Nice find Bob! Always good getting an unattributed coin on the cheap :)

Edited by Nordle11

post-509-0-62429200-1445436074_thumb.jpgpost-509-0-81345900-1445436090_thumb.jpgpost-509-0-59825200-1445436106_thumb.jpg

Nice find Bob! Always good getting an unattributed coin on the cheap :)

Here is a 1880 8/8 in Fair! If anyone wants it, it is $30.00 plus shipping. It also has the re-tooled O in ONE, like all of these coins have.

Probably swamp the market now but will be putting attached up on eBay tomorrow for your consideration.

post-8769-0-25741100-1445437458_thumb.jppost-8769-0-56978200-1445437578_thumb.jp

The 1880, 8/8 is SOLD!

How rare is this coin?

I picked one up at the Midland Coin Fair recently, only about fine but only a couple of quid. But I know of one in near EF which might be available for a premium over the 'normal' 1880 price. How much of a premium do you penny guys think would be merited?

I know Gouby only knew of one at the time of his 2009 publication, but how many of you guys have one?

Jerry

I have one, this was in my cache of buns saved from circulation, quite clear in hand but difficult to get a good image

1880%208over8.jpg

Don't know about hundreds of 'em Pete but there are 5 shown/mentioned within this short thread! Someone, with far more knowledge than me regarding Pennies, told me 2 or 3 years back that he knew of (perhaps it was an informed guess?) that there were about 10 known at the time. I suspect there are more known now but 'say' between 25 and 50 gives you Freeman R17, Michael Gouby's Ex Rare and Peck's Very Rare.

My eBay sign in is alin8051 Pete and I look forward to seeing your bids tomorrow!!!

Cliff

Will have a look Cliff thanks ,can i ask have you got a better one or just dont want it ?.

Pete

Thought I'd replied hours ago but now see it didn't go. Tried again with pics but can't seem to get them under the 500k acceptable limit, will have a go some other time (I'm now away for a few days).

Essentially, yes, I have a much better example (two close ups attached). My full view shots are always pretty grim so tried to attach the seller's pics but can't get the programme to accept them as it rejects them as being too large and I haven't yet figured a way to reduce them enough.

Will give it some thought and try again.

Cliffpost-8769-0-25861600-1445460239_thumb.jppost-8769-0-62073600-1445460267_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I think its just another one that is not really looked for and possibly hard to spot on photographs.

Thanks for your reply Cliff.

A nice example Cliff.

Don't know about hundreds of 'em Pete but there are 5 shown/mentioned within this short thread! Someone, with far more knowledge than me regarding Pennies, told me 2 or 3 years back that he knew of (perhaps it was an informed guess?) that there were about 10 known at the time. I suspect there are more known now but 'say' between 25 and 50 gives you Freeman R17, Michael Gouby's Ex Rare and Peck's Very Rare.

My eBay sign in is alin8051 Pete and I look forward to seeing your bids tomorrow!!!

Cliff

That was quick it was only listed a few hours :rolleyes:

The story: I put my 1880 8/8 on eBay Thurs evening then went away for a few days. A gentleman kindly contacted me Fri morning to say he thought I'd mixed my eBay pics. It appeared I had but wasn't able to double check (being away) and therefore 'ended' the auction before creating further confusion for interested parties and embarrassment for myself.

I'm now back home, I had cocked up and am now rethinking my picture storage labelling. Apologies to anyone this may have inconvenienced. The gentleman who contacted me is now the new owner and I would like to again thank him for his prompt action.

Cliff

Here is the F99 '8 over 8 that I bought today. Cost me £300, but probably not unreasonable as it is a 'published variety' and a single die, and got to be one of the better ones out there, good obverse lustre though duller reverse.

Jerry

post-8585-0-92748600-1445894970_thumb.jp

post-8585-0-21533800-1445894992_thumb.jp

post-8585-0-36136100-1445895012_thumb.jp

post-8585-0-14249500-1445895034_thumb.jp

Here is the F99 '8 over 8 that I bought today. Cost me £300, but probably not unreasonable as it is a 'published variety' and a single die, and got to be one of the better ones out there, good obverse lustre though duller reverse.

Jerry

Nice purchase Jerry...nice, clear 8/8. Also the O of ONE is extremely clear, and that is one of the identifiers!

Great coin Jerry, certainly worth the premium I feel.

Hear, hear - great coin (or should it be here, here ? I've never known which is correct)