British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

happyginger

1922 Penny with 1927 Reverse confirmation.

Hi everyone. I'm new to coin collecting so need some advice on a coin i found in a job lot. I believe it to be the 1922 Penny with the Britannia reverse from 1927 which i know is rare. It is a little rubbed but i believe the gap above the 1922 along with Britannias arm and the way it slopes up (along with it being thin and not muscly like the original 1922 reverse) gives it away. The border teeth seem to be rubbed however if you look next to the 1922 the teeth seem alot more obvious there. Can you please confirm if this is right or not? I have been made an very good offer by a dealer who is convinced it is right i just need to know whether or not to accept it and what the value is if its genuine?

• Like 1

Thanks Azda. Much appreciated. It turns out i was already using your website... its fantastic btw. Can you take a look yourself please and give me your own opinion as it seems legit? Kind Regards.

Hi Happy, it's not my collection, but a member of this Forum. I think one of the diagnostics is Britannians thumb Points downwards and the waves.

If you can turn the coin around so Britannia is pointing the right way round and get as Close as you can without the Picture blurring then maybe someone can also help as i'm about to head to work.

Someone will come along soon enough to help as there is many penny collectors here

attachicon.gifrsz_1430820556600.jpg

Photo is here everyone. Sorry had to crop it to fit it on.

Sorry to disappoint. It's not a 1927 rev.

It's a normal 1922. With the rare rev there are 2 points to consider

a The middle trident prong does not touch the teeth

b The distance between the rim and shield is fractionally larger

There are other minor differences but these are absolute clinchers

Edited by jacinbox

Hi,

Sorry no key point is middle prong touching teeth.

All the best in your collecting

Hi. There does seem to be a fractionally larger gap on the 1922 coin as showed by the photo above comparing it with the 1921 coin. It does not seem to be beads either more teeth when comparing on the 2nd photo i've posted. Its also bled. If you have a very zoomed up close look at the central trident it aits just below the teeth. Very hard to see but i appreciate my camera is not that good. Anyone else able to give me any ideas?

2nk2dnd.jpg

A picture is worth a 1000 words :)

• Like 1

Just had to wind my neck back in.Sorry to say the earlier posts are correct and its not one.

2nk2dnd.jpg

A picture is worth a 1000 words :)

Good pictures and beat me to it.

I like to look at border teeth....Agreed, not the rare one!

I have been made an very good offer by a dealer who is convinced it is right i just need to know whether or not to accept it and what the value is if its genuine?

If he's convinced, take his money and run..... ;-)

• Like 1

I just noticed one of the 1927 pennies has much smaller teeth is that a normal occurance?

I like to look at border teeth....Agreed, not the rare one!

1927revpennysmallteeth_zpsg2t1qbay.jpg

The 1922 with genuine 1927 reverse does exist and with Modified Effigy obverse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 1927 reverse differs from the hybrid reverse on the Freeman 192A variety principally in that the latter has 181 border teeth whereas the 1927 reverse has 184 teeth (the standard 1922 reverse has 180 teeth). There are other minor differences.

See pictures.

post-8184-0-18786400-1438615244_thumb.jp

post-8184-0-81677200-1438615245_thumb.jp

The 1922 with genuine 1927 reverse does exist and with Modified Effigy obverse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 1927 reverse differs from the hybrid reverse on the Freeman 192A variety principally in that the latter has 181 border teeth whereas the 1927 reverse has 184 teeth (the standard 1922 reverse has 180 teeth). There are other minor differences.

See pictures.

Thanks for doing the hard work and counting the beads!