British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
zookeeperz

1861 over lower 1 variety

Hi folks. I saw on another topic the Half-Penny 1/1 varieties. But I don't see anything listed here or anywhere else on 1861 penny varieties other than the listed varieties. For a change this was an easy spot. I wonder if you could tell me if this a new or existing variety and possible value. I think if I have done my research correctly (slim chance lol) its Obv 6 Rev D . Any help will be most appreciated :Dpost-8598-0-12969800-1429884155_thumb.jppost-8598-0-71025000-1429884157_thumb.jp

It won't run into hundreds of Pounds, so excitment should be contained. Just because it's not listed does'nt mean it's not been noted previously, the date itself is fairly common, but i would'nt place a mortgage on a minor overstrike....................

Good spot though

post-509-0-75966700-1429918053_thumb.jpg

Hi folks. I saw on another topic the Half-Penny 1/1 varieties. But I don't see anything listed here or anywhere else on 1861 penny varieties other than the listed varieties. For a change this was an easy spot. I wonder if you could tell me if this a new or existing variety and possible value. I think if I have done my research correctly (slim chance lol) its Obv 6 Rev D . Any help will be most appreciated :Dattachicon.gif1861overlower1-horz.jpgattachicon.gif1861overlower1obv-horz.jpg

Zooie...Here is a Half Penny with the 1st "1" way above the date area!......

6+D it is

1 over 1 is fairly common and Gouby mentions it as a sub in his book. The interesting bit is the groove that is cut on the rocks above the 1.

The coin would be worth 40% premium (personal opinion) over the normal 6+D

Edited by Prax

Thanks . Very interesting area for me. I am like a moth to a flame to anything that is remotely suspicious. Lots of duds but now and then persistance does bare a reward. I just thumbed thrugh the die pairings in Michaels book. I took it that this was obverse 6 as the proximity of the B to Victoria's head but the lower leaf at the front does not point above the top colon . The outer ribbon has a kink in the top part and its basically a straight drop from there. The pic in the book shows a definite inward curve on the top half with an even more exagerated outward curve at the bottom. The hair could be just from wear but I don't see anything there at all other than the tuft closest to the ribbon. Most can prob be down to wear I guess but the ribbon is of major concern. But thanks guys for your answers. I greatly appreciate the feedback. Seems google or any search engine these days has set places to send you and thats your lot.. lol. :P

attachicon.gif1861F2761st1over1.jpg

Hi folks. I saw on another topic the Half-Penny 1/1 varieties. But I don't see anything listed here or anywhere else on 1861 penny varieties other than the listed varieties. For a change this was an easy spot. I wonder if you could tell me if this a new or existing variety and possible value. I think if I have done my research correctly (slim chance lol) its Obv 6 Rev D . Any help will be most appreciated :D

That one really stands out bob

• Like 1

attachicon.gif1861F2761st1over1.jpg

Hi folks. I saw on another topic the Half-Penny 1/1 varieties. But I don't see anything listed here or anywhere else on 1861 penny varieties other than the listed varieties. For a change this was an easy spot. I wonder if you could tell me if this a new or existing variety and possible value. I think if I have done my research correctly (slim chance lol) its Obv 6 Rev D . Any help will be most appreciated :D

That one really stands out bob

Very good Pete!