British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

rooneydog

James I Shilling mm Coronet S2656

Not my area, came with a batch of coins / medals / tokens some of which had been brassoed (if that's a word).

Firstly is my attribution correct. Weight 5.42 gm. Diameter 30mm max.

Secondly is it possible to remove the copper polished in or even worth the effort.

Thirdly what is happening with the reverse.

Thanks for looking.

post-7761-0-63985400-1429434982_thumb.jp

post-7761-0-53469500-1429434996_thumb.jp

Correct att. S2655 fourth bust.

Edit: I've just noticed S2656 in the title! It's S2655, so nearly correct! ;)

Edited by Coinery

It looks from the reverse that it has been copper plated and then gilt in the past?

This is not a very nice example of a common coin. If you want one, get another piece and bin this one

Correct att. S2655 fourth bust.

Edit: I've just noticed S2656 in the title! It's S2655, so nearly correct! ;)

Stuart is correct. S2655 and not 2656. The easiest way to differentiate is by the hair behind the head. Wavy inward lines on the 4th bust as seen in the o/p, Sticky out and thicker hair on the 5th, as per image attached.

post-381-0-33339800-1429439286_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

Must of read my mind on the easiest way to differentiate, nothing lost as it's not why I bought the lot :)

Is the reverse double struck in such a way that one strike is on the right and one on the left ? apologies for my ignorance.

A symptom of the striking method I'm afraid.

The dies may or may not be flat enough to strike the full design in one go. The blow with the hammer may or may not be perpendicular to the face leading to more force applied to the edge of the die in one area or another, The top and bottom dies may or may not be aligned such as to give a well centred coin on both sides. The amount of force used may or may not be sufficient to imprint all the design in one go to both sides. Successive blows with the hammer may or may not be aligned with the previous strike, being either rotated or displaced.

Every so often, all these things come together in perfect alignment and the price of the resulting coin rockets. What you have is a more typical result. :( It looks to have been further abused by gilding.