British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Makes me wonder how the estimates were so glaringly breached. Many coins selling for x5 times the estimate. All lost sold and most if not all above the estimates. Wonder where all these punters were during the Penny sale last year.

3 if those coins brought 500k on their own

It was the relentless procession of coins making 10K that ran the total up. When the first one hit 8K(10K with juice) we said it was going to be an expensive day, as a Calais noble of Ed.3 is a common coin with a regular price tag at around half that.

The top 5 lots made 765K hammer.

Edited by Rob

Just goes to show that the collection name helped it along a smidge

Where can we find a list of realised prices?

On the Sale Room: This auctioneer has chosen to not publish their results. Please contact them directly for any enquiries.

Or if you kind folk noted prices for these lots?:

339 £6,000

342 £8,000

348 £2,600

435 £11,000

Just received a link in an email to prices realised: https://www.spink.com/auction.aspx?id=15031

Edited by TomGoodheart
  • Like 1

Not only the name, but possibly more important was the fact that the material had been off the market for over half a century. There can be very few collectors who were actively collecting at the top end in both 1945 and 2015, so all of this was a refreshing change from the material that goes round on a regular cyclical basis. An 'old' collection almost invariably does well. Look at Chesser, 18 months ago, or the William Boyd sale at Baldwins in 2005. Also the Neville-Rolfe sale went well. The gold patterns at Plymouth in 2008 got the market talking, though the venue probably restricted the final outcome.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Where can we find a list of realised prices?

On the Sale Room: This auctioneer has chosen to not publish their results. Please contact them directly for any enquiries.

Or if you kind folk noted prices for these lots?:

339 £6,000

342 £8,000

348 £2,600

435 £11,000

Just received a link in an email to prices realised: https://www.spink.com/auction.aspx?id=15031

Thanks for the link :)

The Briot medal / pattern (lot 348) looks a bit of a bargain (to whoever got it, not me :() in context. I thought it'd hammer 3 or 4 based on not so hyped up sales attaining that much (admittedly possibly slightly better examples).

The rest, well, just all looks a bit insane.

Was speaking to a collector from up North in the recent Baldwin's who had purchased 22 coins from the Gerald W. Jackson Part I and II sales. He was looking to sell few from the lot. I am going to give him a call. Considering what Stanley II has done I reckon Gerald W. Jackson can't have been that far behind - if only Spink had posted decent pics *sigh*

Not only the name, but possibly more important was the fact that the material had been off the market for over half a century. There can be very few collectors who were actively collecting at the top end in both 1945 and 2015, so all of this was a refreshing change from the material that goes round on a regular cyclical basis. An 'old' collection almost invariably does well. Look at Chesser, 18 months ago, or the William Boyd sale at Baldwins in 2005. Also the Neville-Rolfe sale went well. The gold patterns at Plymouth in 2008 got the market talking, though the venue probably restricted the final outcome.

Wow that's over 70 years of collecting. He has put some serious effort into his collection and it showed yesterday how appreciative the collectors were of his efforts

Edited by Prax

Yesterday was an extremely draining auction, considering there was only a few hundred lots it sure dragged on., I attended the sale with the intention of hopefully buying 8 or 9 lots but came away with just 2. I wasn't surprised to see the BIG coins fetching high figures but what did really shock me was the amount the normal everyday coins were selling for. I looked at each lot before the sale and a large proportion of the milled silver section was to say the least poor yet people seemed to be willing to bid excessively over the odds to obtain these coins.

Yesterday was an extremely draining auction, considering there was only a few hundred lots it sure dragged on., I attended the sale with the intention of hopefully buying 8 or 9 lots but came away with just 2. I wasn't surprised to see the BIG coins fetching high figures but what did really shock me was the amount the normal everyday coins were selling for. I looked at each lot before the sale and a large proportion of the milled silver section was to say the least poor yet people seemed to be willing to bid excessively over the odds to obtain these coins.

I concur. There was little there that said 'buy me'. The 1673 5 guineas was probably the best of the milled, but that went to 135K. After that, lot 439 was nice and 512 looked to be a bit better than the EF grade assigned, but there was a lot of indifferent pieces.

Yes, that is why there was very little of interest to collectors like me. As per Jac above, the Gerald Jackson sales were unheralded but had some of the very nicest pennies I have ever seen with many bits of much more interest than the Slaney - the Spink stock photos did not do them justice at all with these very underrated consequently. Unfortunately for the secondary market, many of them fell into the hands of the few and the prices were boosted considerably. As best I could gather, these pieces were "cherrypicked" through the '80s and '90s by the consignor from mainly the Spink Numismatic Circular - possibly advised by an insider.

Edited by VickySilver
  • Like 1

Does anyone know who Richard Bishop referred to in the auction as "the three wise men"

3 active bidders seated close together

I think one was David?..another Roddy? (Roderick Richardson)

Nick

Edited by Nicholas

I once bought some coins from Roddy Richardson out of a fit of pique !...lol

It was at York a few years back....David Seaman had a stall upstairs next to Roddy Richardson....I was on a mission to spend several £thousand in cash on my then collection at the time at the fair.

There were several pieces on Dave Seaman's stall that I wanted to buy that came to about £3k in total...I asked if he could do something on the price he just said "No" and looked away from me.....

I moved next door to Roddy's stall and spent twice as much very obviously so that David Seaman could hear and see...he probably did give a sh1t but I felt better for it....LOL !.

• Like 1

>>>> I meant " ..he probably DIDNT give a sh!t..."

:) enjoyed that read

Does anyone know who Richard Bishop referred to in the auction as "the three wise men"

3 active bidders seated close together

I think one was David?..another Roddy? (Roderick Richardson)

Nick

Don't know as I wasn't there, but David was probably David Guest, formerly at Spink and now with CNG, Roddy will be RR, and the third is anyone's guess, though is likely to be either Steve Hill or Tim Webb-Ware.The former more likely than the latter as Steve would be more active as a bidder, though Tim would usually be sat far right at the front. MH was there, so perhaps he could elucidate.

I've never bonded with David S in any of my communications either! I'd rather wait now than buy a coin from him as a collector!

His arrogant loss, as far as I'm concerned!

The three wise men were steve hill , Ian and Richard from Stanley gibbons/Baldwins

see next sorry

Edited by Nicholas

Thanks MH - all Baldwins that makes sense as they were not pitted against each other hence Richards comments

Also, was the "Roddy" in the room in fact RR?

and, there was a David bidding on many of hammered lots - any chance you know who it was ? David Guest maybe?

Edited by Nicholas

Yes Roderick (or roddie) was there, pretty much every dealer was. Not a fan of Richard bishops insistence of announcing the bidders names.

David guest did buy an awful lot at the sale but having spoke with him after the sale, only one piece was for stock the rest was on behalf of his clients. This was the case for most of us on the day. I ended up with 3 pieces - 2 for clients and one for stock.

Thanks MH interesting.

You know I've been buying British coins for over a decade but never been to an auction in person in England it's always online. Of course presents a risk when buying coins. Images and descriptions can lie!

Could I ask what are the mechanics of buying for clients? What is it that prevents them bidding/buying for themselves? They are obviously very serious collectors? Is it simply about having so much money that they don't even need to attend?

I'm genuinely curious?