British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Ok Spink has posted Slaney II collection. Been miserable all day.

Lol, a lotto win this week would be good

Edited by azda

Yes pretty please. That would get us close..

Would suit me just fine if the dealers' coffers are eaten up by all that lovely gold :lol:

What do you think of the estimates, a bit low or about right? Presumably they'll take a good hiding whether 'right' or not.

Problem is that the hype from this collection will push all sort of boundaries leading to many buyers (IMHO) paying way too much even for the ordinary stuff (and there's some of that in this collection- unlike the Slaney 1) and will NEVER see a return on their investment..

Having said that, Spink typically grade and price conservatively...

Edited by Nicholas

Some of the patterns look lush. There are a few drool lots eg https://www.spink.co...?id=15031000367 :ph34r: too. Hardly any bronze though :( The gold buyers will be cautious in my opinion considering what is lined up for the rest of the year starting with the next St James' Auction. Spoiler alert http://www.stjauctions.com/PARK%20HOUSE%20COLLECTION%20Final%20Approved%20smallest%20size%20file%20COPY.pdf

Problem is that the hype from this collection will push all sort of boundaries leading to many buyers (IMHO) paying way too much even for the ordinary stuff (and there's some of that in this collection- unlike the Slaney 1) and will NEVER see a return on their investment..

Having said that, Spink typically grade and price conservatively...

Well then the hope is that those looking to invest or turn the coins around quickly don't bother if the prices do get up there.

The difficult thing is if spending a lot of money and then needing to recoup that money down the line I'd want some value to be retained, but otherwise it's owning the thing for my own personal pleasure --

In another thread Azda mentioned a Liz I shilling from a recent Spink auction that's gone straight back onto the market at near £6k - if that's going to happen I'd rather over pay a bit at auction than a lot afterwards!!

It's not a level I'm really comfortable at and need to give it a bit of thought but there's another Nicholas I'm particularly fond of...

Edited by damian1986

Yes, it was the Liz I milled shilling from the last Spink auction, hammered at 3k so £3600 with commission roughly and now sitting on a dealers site at £5800.

So the obvious fact is, buy it yourself in auction and save 2 grand, as long as its not for flipping it should eventually give a return. I assume the £2200 the dealer has slapped on it will break down as 2k profit and £200 haggle margin ;)

Yes, it was the Liz I milled shilling from the last Spink auction, hammered at 3k so £3600 with commission roughly and now sitting on a dealers site at £5800.

So the obvious fact is, buy it yourself in auction and save 2 grand, as long as its not for flipping it should eventually give a return. I assume the £2200 the dealer has slapped on it will break down as 2k profit and £200 haggle margin ;)

That is of course assuming the dealer can sell it at that price, why pay that if you can get it cheaper at auction?

That is of course assuming the dealer can sell it at that price, why pay that if you can get it cheaper at auction?
Because thats how Dealers make Money Paul, plus if you don't Do your homework you're gonna get burnt

The coin in question

http://www.simonwilliscoins.com/products/coin-details.aspx?id=S2592

And the spink coin

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/spink/catalogue-id-srspi10039/lot-3f4d5584-2e53-41d0-bea6-a453010567e2

I wonder if he asked spink to use the pictures? A curious one though, does the buyer of the coin then become the owner of the pictures or Do those still belong to the auction house?

Edited by azda

I wonder if he asked spink to use the pictures? A curious one though, does the buyer of the coin then become the owner of the pictures or Do those still belong to the auction house?

My understanding is that the photos remain the property of the photographer unless (as is likely in this case) they are an employee or the auction house buys the rights as part of their contact.

The rights to the photographs would only pass to the buyer of a coin to use commercially if Spink agreed to this .. which I'm not sure they would be inclined to do.

That said, I believe photos may normally be used for personal or educational use. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Same pictures? With the greatest respect -- buy a nice coin, copy images and description, sell. Where is the value in this and where is the 2 grand margin justified?

I'm a fairly passive collector I guess. Would always prefer buying from dealers!! As good a service as the auction houses offer, I really do appreciate dealing directly with knowledgeable dealers who have effectively done the leg work for you in sourcing the coins (and 20%+ juice is a bit high IMO).

They have overheads, an inventory to maintain, years of Numsimatic knowledge, and are often very helpful.

The margins are justified. Pay it, build a collection, be happy.

But some of the higher end coins are moving around a bit too willy nilly!! and I don't really see the point in the existence of those who are just throwing money at coins with a view to satisfying the investor-collecor market or whoever these collectors are that wouldn't miss 2 grand??

Some of those reserves are very very conservative....I guess its to get people to bid...well, its got me bidding on a dozen or so...if I get one or two at the low reserve price I'll be overjoyed.....!

A dozen or so? You win the lottery Colin? Lol

I'm working on the basis

Nope....I'm working on the basis that I wont get more than one or two at those very low estimates...if I get more than two then I'm screwed !

I'm working on the basis

Nope....I'm working on the basis that I wont get more than one or two at those very low estimates...if I get more than two then I'm screwed !

I'd Hate to think what would happen if you got the 12 of them then lol

I'm working on the basis

I'd Hate to think what would happen if you got the 12 of them then lol

That's why you need to keep your powder dry. Do as I say, not as I do. ;)

The one I want most comes further down the pecking order than some of the others I also intend bidding on. If I got those thered'd be nothing left for that one. I dont have the balls to prebid on 12 :o

The one I want most comes further down the pecking order than some of the others I also intend bidding on. If I got those thered'd be nothing left for that one. I dont have the balls to prebid on 12 :o

Me either, i'd rather bid on the day, but barring a lottery win, i'll be a spectator only

I see in the blurb that they are going to add 3% for those bidding via The Saleroom. Using Spink Live doesn't incur this additonal charge.

Do we have any assurances that Spink Live is going to work properly? 3 or 4 years ago it was a total disaster which meant that if you wanted something in Spink it was necessary to attend in person, or put in a commission bid. I've been using The Saleroom on account of it being a working system.

Alternatively, I suppose that 3% on top of an already extortionate fee is neither here nor there if it means you are able to participate. Just adjust the bids down to compensate.

Spink Live??? Hahahahaha!

I still can't get archive results when I log in. Their website just doesn't work for me. So if I wanted a coin I certainly wouldn't risk it!

As for Slaney ... nothing I can afford want ....

Edited by TomGoodheart

You can of course log into both the saleroomand spink live should any problems arise with spink live

Underbidder on lot 336. was that you Richard?

Rush of blood - won Lot334 the tower mint halfcrown ...?

Edited by Nicholas