British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Potential Acquisition

And Now I rest my case

the cooling off period won’t apply

You might not get the right to a cooling-off period if:

·you buy certain goods and services which the law says aren't covered by a cooling-off period

·you're a business buyer

·you bid for something in a public auction. An online auction is not a public auction because you cannot attend it, so you should get the right to cancel when you buy something through an online auction

you buy from a private individual and not a business

·you agree for a service to be fully performed straight away. This depends on a number of factors and could mean that you lose your right to cancel.

More about your rights when you buy from a private individual

More about agreeing for a service bought by distance sale to start straight away

Thanks Dave, exactly what I thought, how could it be otherwise?

Agreed Dave, I don't think you can do that, and if you could the whole process would be undermined

If they sold you a fake or previously holed coin I bet you could return it? :)

The coins that were fake NO, I lost £400 because of their technical jargon, I even went to trading standards and still lost.

DNW were fine as they said it was their fault, they did mention the hole at the start of the auction apparently but I was'nt around for the start of it to hear and it was'nt in their online notices either so they did'nt mind at that point

I think that 'milled' Halfcrown's an easy BUNC! ;)

Night, night, chaps! :)

And Now I rest my case

the cooling off period won’t apply

You might not get the right to a cooling-off period if:

·you buy certain goods and services which the law says aren't covered by a cooling-off period

·you're a business buyer

·you bid for something in a public auction. An online auction is not a public auction because you cannot attend it, so you should get the right to cancel when you buy something through an online auction

you buy from a private individual and not a business

·you agree for a service to be fully performed straight away. This depends on a number of factors and could mean that you lose your right to cancel.

More about your rights when you buy from a private individual

More about agreeing for a service bought by distance sale to start straight away

Thanks Dave, exactly what I thought, how could it be otherwise?

Head, brick wall and banging come to mind, but as I said earlier, I've had previous with online auctions, well one in particular and have been through all trading standards site and knew the legal standpoint for online auctions. eBay is entirely a different entity

Proof for me

Proof for me

Deep cameo first strike FDC

Proof for me

MS72 :D

Proof for me

MS72 :D
:lol:

Herne is the Thread that MHCOINS started about Lockdales, ist also Sems that 1 or 2 Sent some coins back for cleaning, it Males interesting reading, als you can see Mark, it's not just me who slates them for overgrading :)

http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/9548-lockdales/

Morning Dave,

Yes I do remember the thread and you are correct there were misgivings. However having a point of view was not my main point, I was more concerned with how it might be expressed.

Incidentally read VickySilvers statement below from that thread. It makes the same point I was making about 'online descriptions'

"I have had to send back Vickies (surprise!) and a few Ed 7's as they omitted mention of cleaning, hairlines, etc."

I'm sure Vicky's point of view which mirrors mine and others is correct.

Mark

Cleaning is detremental to a coin and not describing as such especially through an experienced auction house would then lead to being open for a return, such as a holed coin would be.

The new concept of deacribing something as "of bright appearance" which is cropping up quite often these days is more or less another way of substituting "cleaned" from the Description, which in turn would mean low estimates and bids

Edited by azda

Paulus,

Here you go.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/i-want-to-return-something-bought-online-

Dave, nothing wrong with strong opinions however it might be good to be carful. Strong statements such as 'serial over graders' on a public board could leave you open to legal action. If Chris is reading this he may want to consider modifying it for his own protection.

Surely the kind of language to use is ' I don't always agree with their grading, for me they are not conservative enough'. We will all get the message and all you have done is express an opinion.

Kind regards

Mark

I just Need to slot this in here regarding My comment. As you can see from the link to the post from MHCOINS how many People who commented were happy with what they bought from Lockdales? A Low grade brings low prices and low commission to the auction House. I assume you listen online to their auctions or Even perhaps attend, what strikes me is the amount of times that when the auctioneer Starts the coin off At X PRICE there are hardly or no other bids afterwards, or the "one more bid and i'm out" an auctioneer should'nt be saying that, he is supposed to be impartial, but i digress from my opinion, they overgrade more often than is normal in any catalogue, 1 or 2 might be acceptable, but these are supposed to a Professional body of auctioneers and should'nt be doing this every coin catalogue that comes out.

The halfcrown that Paul posted, NEF as their grade, would you agree with that? With higher grades comes higher prices. I also notice you're based in Ipswich which is where Lockdales are :)

Edited by azda

You are correct I am in Ipswich and I know what they tend to over grade and under grade, and they do under grade on occasions. But I think probably other auction houses have these anomalies.

I think also your comments about professionalism are right on the mark.

Highlights the need to pick up a working knowledge of grading before bidding/buying.

Mark

Asi said above, ithink itsthe reason there's not many live bids onthe day, probably more postal bids and at above the mineythey're worth, although i may have missed the couple that have been undergraded

Edited by azda