British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

RPP

ID PLEASE

Thinking of acquiring this, thoughts pls

1562_SX_sellers_02_zpsmpfagu9z.png

A decent early milled What a pug.????????????????

Black adder has a lot to answer for

6 wives and that was the best?

i would take one for the team rather than Liz 1

Thinking of acquiring this, thoughts pls

1562_SX_sellers_02_zpsmpfagu9z.png

Nicer than mine. Looks OK. Decent strike, all round even wear ...... just depends on price.

sorry but this is a ID post.. please make your own :rolleyes:

Aethelred II (978 - 1016) Long cross Moneyer Ælfric Mint Huntingdon Spink 1151

Similar: https://www.spink.com/lot-description.aspx?id=14006000113

Edited by TomGoodheart

thanks Tom.. you got skills

Nah. You just need to know how to read the legends. Then a quick search and .. :D

RPP

Nice coins :)

Do you detect by chance?

@Peter no i dont. i find these coins difficult to read. :D

What is the symbol between the M and O on the reverse?

Copulative omega

Good afternoon all, this seems to be the place to come to get some hammered identified! Any help with these two would be greatly appreciated, as ever. Thanks all!

post-7996-0-66836700-1435667111_thumb.jp

post-7996-0-14456800-1435667117_thumb.jp

@Peter no i dont. i find these coins difficult to read. :D

RPP

May I suggest Englands stricking history available from this site/amazon Etc

An excellent read which should help in IDing coins.

A very reasonable price too (£7/£8) I seem to remember.

• Like 1

Good afternoon all, this seems to be the place to come to get some hammered identified! Any help with these two would be greatly appreciated, as ever. Thanks all!

Edward and London for the first. Coinery will no doubt appreciate a chance to hone his skills narrowing it down further!

Second, Henry II or III (?) Moneyer ILGER ON LVN (London) so my guess is Henry III.

Looks like a possible Class 6c (Spink 1355) to my untutored eyes but more likely Class 8, Spink 1357 ...

Maybe Clive can confirm or deny?

Edited by TomGoodheart

Copulative omega

Thanks for that. Now I can sleep happy !!! :DB)

Moneyer mark perhaps ?

Edited by Geordie582

Copulative omega

Thanks for that. Now I can sleep happy !!! :DB)

Moneyer mark perhaps ?

The copulative was issue dependant some have omega and some a bar. The moneyer mark was his name

Thank You! Another drop of information to add to other forgotten facts! Memory is for the young! :unsure:

Edward and London for the first. Coinery will no doubt appreciate a chance to hone his skills narrowing it down further!

Second, Henry II or III (?) Moneyer ILGER ON LVN (London) so my guess is Henry III.

Looks like a possible Class 6c (Spink 1355) to my untutored eyes but more likely Class 8, Spink 1357 ...

Maybe Clive can confirm or deny?

Only just picked this up! Unfortunately I haven't enough literature to accurately cover the Edward III period but, in view of the ANGLIE legend, I'm going for a transitional penny! S1612, N1227

If I was buying or selling this coin I would want to read more about it first, but Edward III penny definitely! :)

Edit: hah! I don't know if anyone has the 2013 Spink, but I'd wager the obverse plate coin of s1612 is very likely from the same die? Spooky!

Edited by Coinery

S1612

post-5057-0-82089200-1435931267_thumb.jp

I really feel there's a lack of discussion that was present a couple of years ago? Is it just seasonal?

We have a few regular posters that do not post at the moment as you know, but I kind of sense a dwindling of interest in the micro-attribution side of things (apart from the ever-strong Viccy pennies). I know this is key to early hammered, do enthusiasts of the subject feel it is becoming more 'niche'?

Certainly there was far more discussion on this site a couple of years ago, maybe collectors are moving more to collecting general 'types'?

Not sure. I find Clive's absence (work and recent incapacity) means I tend to flounder a bit on the classes of such as Edward pennies without the reassurance he'll confirm or deny my guesswork! I also find there are days when there seem to be no new posts until late evening ... maybe people are just busier?

I suspect the membership is in continual flux. When I first joined there were loads (well, four or five) youngsters, Chris posted pretty regularly and Geoff (who knew how to spell 'definitely') and I don't remember as much discussion about bun heads etc. Farthings though .. they seemed very popular. But then CC was still around, which I'm sure made a difference.

Now? I see Geordie has popped in a bit more regularly of late, but as Paul says, there are members who aren't currently posting much .. I suspect it will pick up again after the summer. And hopefully some of the people that come there to ask about coins will stay and post. But I know forums aren't for everyone and interests can change ... as Lao Tsu said.

:lol: