British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

zimgrind

1908 PENNY

I have a 1908 PENNY that is in a not so great condition. How best to clean this without devaluing the coin? an oxydation of some sort has blackened the coin.

I'm assuming the coin is quite worn? If it is worn, then unless it is the rare 1* obverse you will not devalue it by cleaning. Just because it is a dark colour doesn't mean it is a good idea to clean it. Coins are valued on the degree of wear, the less there is, the higher the value for that variety. Little or no wear and a dark colour just means you have a toned coin which is quite acceptable. What you cannot do is restore lustre to a toned coin. The best you will get is a cleaned and/or polished surface which will devalue it as collectors would not in general be interested.

Though, just for zimgrind's clarification, you can however have lustre that's overtoned, which presents slightly more 'luminous' than the monotones of a tarnished alloy or base metal.

Zimgrind - there is an expert amongst us who has taught me how to decontaminate my coins- this will not make it glow , change colour - or any other weird or wonderful things but what it will do is remove and surface grease etc without damaging your coins - just use acetone (not nail varnish remover ) with a cuetip and gently dab it on your coin. With regards your toned 1908 penny there are many collectors who prefer toned coins. the question is what grade is it - many here can help you on that if you paste a pic or two.

Edited by hazelman

There is a product called verdicare which can give good results.

Mr R Sleeker - I dont need to buy anything but acetone