British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

1899 Crown - Confused dot com

Is the '99 tongue straight-edged, ie sloping fully upwards to the top lip? Or is it more pointed in profile? The shadow makes it hard to tell.

Are we all bored now?

Is the '99 tongue straight-edged, ie sloping fully upwards to the top lip? Or is it more pointed in profile? The shadow makes it hard to tell.

Are we all bored now?

lol, I will attempt to get better pics!

Are we all bored now?

lol, I will attempt to get better pics!
Can you confirm with a loupe? Edited by Coinery

I personally think you 'may' have stumbled on something there! Where you go from here is all about the time you want to put into it?

What about trawling the CGS files, getting some serious-quality close-ups of the different types, and then maybe approach someone like Davies or, if you can convince Rob there's something going on, get him to help you through a BNS article perhaps?

I'd happily take some super-macro close-ups if you can get any coins to me? :)

And, of course, there's Chris and his book! That could also be a good place to start, IF you can get some really decent close-ups to consider it properly? :)

Had it been a bronze penny it would have become a new "type". Imagine someone calling the ONF penny a new type. When that can become a new type, I am sure so can this. Given the 3:1 split there are more of this type. Though not my forte still thanks for enlightening the community Paul.

I agree with Stu looks like you have stumbled upon something!!!!

I have been studying these for a while and prefer to call them with and without teeth than open and closed mouths My survey of toothed vs toothless horses in the 1893 proof crown reveals

10 with teeth

18 without teeth

I strongly suspect a different matrix is involved as there are other subtle differences between the two types and yes the above confirms the toothless horse carried through other years

• Like 1

This is my 1900.

Inside the mouth looks rough as if filled with crud or the die is chipped.

Maybe the mouth should be empty?

post-5261-0-76367400-1428240198_thumb.jp

And I have looked at all of my 1887-1902 crowns and seen seemingly not just "either-or" but somewhat of a spectrum; some appear to have an empty mouth and others various amounts of, uhh, content and others full set of dental.

Which does weigh in favour of damage, rather than design?