British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

shaneleeds

2009 Blue Peter Olympic 50p

Good old Daily Mail, always on the ball. Shouldn't be too long before they ask people to check for 1933 pennies in the biscuit tin of pennies inherited from Granny.

20 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Where did you come from? Welcome to the forum, and thanks for linking :D 

Looks like they quoted @copper123 :D 

Apologies - not much of a poster (as you can see), but I've been reading along for a while. I was able to find the article, so being helpful with a link seemed like a good place to start for my first post :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sarah G said:

All I want to know is which coin Florence Jackson was given and is sitting in the Royal Mint museum!  I have emailed and phoned the museum and Royal mint and they will not give the information out.   

I'm sure her gold coin must be dated 2009 as it would be a poor presentation if they said "congratulations, we will give you a gold coin in 2 years time".

Insistently, presumably the gold Olympic coins would be produced from proof dies, which means they would have been produced separately from the dies used for the BU Set & circulating coins, therefore there could be other design differences.

Also was Jonathan Olliffe's gold Aquatic 50p an under water one?

Ian..  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nutsaboutcoins said:

I'm sure her gold coin must be dated 2009 as it would be a poor presentation if they said "congratulations, we will give you a gold coin in 2 years time".

Insistently, presumably the gold Olympic coins would be produced from proof dies, which means they would have been produced separately from the dies used for the BU Set & circulating coins, therefore there could be other design differences.

Ian..  

I'm not sure it matters. Maybe he had two.

The reason I am so interested to know whether Florence is a 2009 or 2011 coin as they state the high jump coin as a 2009 coin in their mintage figures.  Therefore as the coins are just circulated coins in a presentation pack it in theory makes the 2009 coin the coin with the least mintage.  It also makes the 2009 coin the original coin!  I know there were 2.2 million produced in 2011.  I also know it is a grey area with presentation pack coins and circulated  coins.  My argument with the mint is that they will not state in either circulated or commemorative figures.  

The other interesting fact is they never put the 2009 coin in the 40th anniversary set.  Kew and the shield went in but not the olympic coin.

The aquatics is slightly different as that was an error and the high jump is mintage figures.  However I would love to know which coin he has out of interest!

WOT NO ROYALTIES @ DAILYMAIL>COM

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

Amusing that they should choose to quote from a forum called 'predecimal' about a 2009 50p!

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

I find their logic a little difficult. Why a Kew Gardens 50p should be difficult to spot on the grounds that 950 million 50ps have been printed (sic) is beyond me. Nobody could be in a position to examine more than a handful at any one time, not 950 million.

I'm on a few forums with Augsberger, I'll fire off a message tomorrow. I'm not sure if he's still working in China, but if he is it may take a few days to get an answer.

Up to £82 now for completed items on ebay!

all those coins were dated 2011 for circulation, if i recall, I remember getting these 2011 dated coins far earlier then the regular stuff.

they have already minted the new quids as well.

They were released in late 201o  the dailly mail at the time ran a artical on them speculateing they were worth ££££   , what a surprise , they even seemed to have dificulty working out that time only runs in one direction forward ,something I worked out years ago

On 07/09/2016 at 6:22 PM, Guest Sarah said:

I have managed to get a genuine slabbed blue peter 2009 coin from ngc showing ms 66.  New to ngc but shows the coin is struck to circulation issue as there were queries as to the strike when first issued.  Shows royal mint just put normal circulation coins into packaging and quadrupled price to 1.99!  Now they just increase price even further to £10.  Royal mint know how to print money in more ways than one! 

147326801792193958187.jpg

I'd love to buy this off you! Any chance we can do a deal?

On 12/13/2016 at 8:56 PM, Nutsaboutcoins said:

Ian..  

She might not have been given the gold coin. I don't know because I never met her. However there are some who didn't receive gold coins.

When we turned up to the Mint, the picture of the swimming coin was underwater. So, I'd presume, his coin is underwater. They decided to change it AFTER that time I believe, or at least hadn't changed it by this time, which was September before the coins came out.

16 hours ago, augsburger said:

She might not have been given the gold coin. I don't know because I never met her. However there are some who didn't receive gold coins.

When we turned up to the Mint, the picture of the swimming coin was underwater. So, I'd presume, his coin is underwater. They decided to change it AFTER that time I believe, or at least hadn't changed it by this time, which was September before the coins came out.

Hi Ausburger

Congratulations on your design.  I have been studying the olympic coins for months now and I am fascinated with them.    

Thank you for replying back.  I have also managed to contact the lady who designed the fencing coin.   I had believed everyone received a gold coin as their prize for winning.  Who did not receive a gold coin.  That was very unfair on them. 

I know Florence went to the mint in October 2009 to press the first coin for hers.  A gold proof set is kept at the Royal Mint Museum but they will not disclose which date is on the coin.  

Are you aware that 2 original folders were produced.  Like the aquatics, they changed the design of the completer medallion as originally I believe it was going to be another 50p.  Due to the change in design they could not release the folder with the design so the first folders produced are without the completer medallion insert.  It was just left blank.

7 hours ago, Sarah G said:

Hi Ausburger

Congratulations on your design.  I have been studying the olympic coins for months now and I am fascinated with them.    

Thank you for replying back.  I have also managed to contact the lady who designed the fencing coin.   I had believed everyone received a gold coin as their prize for winning.  Who did not receive a gold coin.  That was very unfair on them. 

I know Florence went to the mint in October 2009 to press the first coin for hers.  A gold proof set is kept at the Royal Mint Museum but they will not disclose which date is on the coin.  

Are you aware that 2 original folders were produced.  Like the aquatics, they changed the design of the completer medallion as originally I believe it was going to be another 50p.  Due to the change in design they could not release the folder with the design so the first folders produced are without the completer medallion insert.  It was just left blank.

What you have to remember is, there were three competitions with different rules for the different competitions. Fair, well certainly the person I spoke to who didn't get the gold coin felt it was extremely unfair. I think the mint learned a lot from this. We went and were told when the official announcing date for coins would be. The mint probably just assumed there would be a big fanfare. It came out in like two newspapers, made a little stint on the news, but the reality was that most people didn't really care about it. So the mint has been far more aggressive since with their marketing.

Guest William Gogarty

Hi, new to the coin collecting game and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some guidance/advice when it comes to buying legitimate coins. 

If I was looking for a 2009 printed 50p coin designed by Florence Jackson, what would I look for before committing to a purchase? 

I would love to get my hands on a kew garden 50p but the fears of spending many times more than face value to find out I have purchased a fake are great 

Thanks! :)

Posted impatiently, should've just registered prior to posting, bah! 

Welcome William, this forum is indeed a fount of knowledge if you can wake the right people. I'm not one of them with regard to decimal, but a search of these pages with respect to a particular coin will often give you the information you require. Unfortunately there is no easy answer regarding modern copies, other than experience and research. There are usually subtle differences in style that an experienced eye can spot, and weight and alloy differences that don't help much if eBay buying. If you are really unsure, buy from a dealer with experience of the issue. But on the positive side, even on Ebay most coins are not fakes.

Good luck,

Jerry

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:36 PM, Guest William Gogarty said:

Hi, new to the coin collecting game and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some guidance/advice when it comes to buying legitimate coins. 

If I was looking for a 2009 printed 50p coin designed by Florence Jackson, what would I look for before committing to a purchase? 

I would love to get my hands on a kew garden 50p but the fears of spending many times more than face value to find out I have purchased a fake are great 

Thanks! :)

http://thefakepoundcoindatabase.co.uk/index.htm

Good site and although not my thing the indicators on the kew gardens i found interesting .

Also the swimming 50p and the cards :o.

Afternoon to you all and a hello for my first post.  Have been reading a lot on here before joining.  Mostly Sarah's bits and bobs about the Blue Peter 2009 coin.  I love this coin and have now got 3, all sealed, within the card.  Except for just collecting the Olympic set, my main collection has been these, mainly from what Sarah had to say.  Sarah, I did read that you wanted the numbers from the back, if and when you are ready, I'd give mine to you.

Regards

Darren