British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

shaneleeds

2009 Blue Peter Olympic 50p

Give it a year and they will be up to £150

3 hours ago, copper123 said:

Give it a year and they will be up to £150

That's what I am counting on. I have a spare stashed away now to await the day.

Now - where's the email address for the Daily Mail?

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paddy said:

lol

4 hours ago, Paddy said:

Me too. I bought 20 of these a couple of years ago, some for as low as £4, hoping that the price would increase. It has! There's one on eBay at the minute that's currently at £47.04. 

Guest Sarah
1 hour ago, shaneleeds said:

Me too. I bought 20 of these a couple of years ago, some for as low as £4, hoping that the price would increase. It has! There's one on eBay at the minute that's currently at £47.04. 

shaneleeds  Didn't get them for as low as £4 but bought quite a lot of them at a fairly good rate thanks to seeing your original post on here a few months ago.  Thank you  

• Like 1

I've emailed the Royal Mint for the actual mintage figure of this coin. There have been two figures talked about, one 100,000 and the other 19,751. The coin year book publishes 100,000 points minted but a subscriber on this site mentioned the lower figure. Royal Mint said they'll reply within 28 days.

1 hour ago, shaneleeds said:

I've emailed the Royal Mint for the actual mintage figure of this coin. There have been two figures talked about, one 100,000 and the other 19,751. The coin year book publishes 100,000 points minted but a subscriber on this site mentioned the lower figure. Royal Mint said they'll reply within 28 days.

I thought this was resolved - The Royal Mint had authorised a run of up to 100,000 and this figure was initially fed out to the media, however recent enquiries to the Royal Mint by Sarah - copied earlier in this thread - got the response that only 17951 were actually produced.

Guest Sarah
7 hours ago, shaneleeds said:

I am the one who found out the figure from the royal mint of 19,751.  I have this in an email.  You may get different answers from the royal mint depending on who answers your query  It took me several attempts with the Royal mint to get an answer that actually corresponds to another.  Originally I was told it was 2.2 million (as per 2011 coin mintage)  Explained that was the 2011 mintage and this was 2009.  I was then told it was unlimited in another email which I then queried again and then I got the answer 19,751 from yet another email when I questioned it again.  

I have spent the last couple of months asking the royal mint why the blue peter coin is not listed as a commemorative coin with figures or circulated figures.  Again i have been given conflicting information about the mintage figures and been told that the blue peter coin is covered within the 2011 mintage figure.  I have had to send the royal mint their own emails stating the mintage figure.  As yet I have not got a reply.

If you go to the royal mint blog on rarest coins 2014 (rubbish at linking!) you will see another person asked the same question about the blue peter coin and was given 2.2 million as the answer by the Royal mint  Someone else came up with the same figure I was given of 19,751 from yet another email.

I am interested in the response you get as I suspect it will be different yet again.

18 hours ago, Guest Sarah said:

I am the one who found out the figure from the royal mint of 19,751.  I have this in an email.  You may get different answers from the royal mint depending on who answers your query  It took me several attempts with the Royal mint to get an answer that actually corresponds to another.  Originally I was told it was 2.2 million (as per 2011 coin mintage)  Explained that was the 2011 mintage and this was 2009.  I was then told it was unlimited in another email which I then queried again and then I got the answer 19,751 from yet another email when I questioned it again.  

I have spent the last couple of months asking the royal mint why the blue peter coin is not listed as a commemorative coin with figures or circulated figures.  Again i have been given conflicting information about the mintage figures and been told that the blue peter coin is covered within the 2011 mintage figure.  I have had to send the royal mint their own emails stating the mintage figure.  As yet I have not got a reply.

If you go to the royal mint blog on rarest coins 2014 (rubbish at linking!) you will see another person asked the same question about the blue peter coin and was given 2.2 million as the answer by the Royal mint  Someone else came up with the same figure I was given of 19,751 from yet another email.

I am interested in the response you get as I suspect it will be different yet again.

obviously the mint is as full of numpties as the general population of the uk - no surprise there then

Guest Sarah
On 4 October 2016 at 6:21 AM, shaneleeds said:

Shane leeds have you heard anything yet from RM as would love to know their answer.

I have recently found out that there is a possibility that the Athletics first day cover (2 covers produced; one 2009 with 2 runners, one 2011 with a high jumper) dated 2011 contains the 2009 coin.   Ironically, the 2009 cover with the 2 runners contains the 2011 coin.   Not sure if 100% true but would love to know for definite.  I reckon the RM got left with a load of 2009 dated coins and put them in extra covers to get rid.   More than willing to swap a sealed 2009 blue peter coin pack for the high jump pack with someone to try and find out if anyone interested.

Hi

I received an email from The Royal Mint on 27/09/16 saying '...your query has been passed to our information department and may take up to 28 days to answer...'. I'm still waiting.

Shane

22 hours ago, Guest Sarah said:

Ironically, the 2009 cover with the 2 runners contains the 2011 coin.   

Hi Sarah,

Which coin with 2 runners are you referring to please?

Ian..

22 hours ago, Guest Sarah said:

Hi Ian

The coin I am referring to is the athletics coin 2009 (blue peter coin) and 2011 (2.2 million athletic coin)   Its the 2 different coin covers that the royal mint and royal mail did to celebrate the olympics. (coin cover 1 and coin cover 30 - both athletics with 2 different pictures.  One is  coin cover 1 and the other coin cover 30.

The royal mint and royal mail did a series of 30 coin covers to celebrate the olympics.  The first coin cover was the athletic one with the 2 runners on the front.  This coin cover was produced very early on as has a very low olympic hologram.  This coin cover contains the 2011 athletic coin.

In 2011 the royal mint and royal mail got together to produce another coin cover to celebrate the athletics to make up the 30th cover. This was produced in 2011 and has a picture of a high jumper on the front of the cover.  However, it has come to light that this coin cover with the high jumper produced in 2011 contains the 2009 "blue peter coin"  I personally haven't seen one and wanted to try and get one to have a look. Apparently someone has opened it and it does contain the 2009 blue peter coin.

Hopefully this makes sense even though the royal mint/royal mail seem to have very strange procedures.  The problem is you cannot see the coin in the cover.  You have to open the cover up to find out whether it is a 2009 or 2011 coin!  

Sarah

Will add a photo of the runner coin cover in next post to try and explain further.

4 hours ago, Sarah G said:

Hi Ian

The coin I am referring to is the athletics coin 2009 (blue peter coin) and 2011 (2.2 million athletic coin)   Its the 2 different coin covers that the royal mint and royal mail did to celebrate the olympics. (coin cover 1 and coin cover 30 - both athletics with 2 different pictures.  One is  coin cover 1 and the other coin cover 30.

The royal mint and royal mail did a series of 30 coin covers to celebrate the olympics.  The first coin cover was the athletic one with the 2 runners on the front.  This coin cover was produced very early on as has a very low olympic hologram.  This coin cover contains the 2011 athletic coin.

In 2011 the royal mint and royal mail got together to produce another coin cover to celebrate the athletics to make up the 30th cover. This was produced in 2011 and has a picture of a high jumper on the front of the cover.  However, it has come to light that this coin cover with the high jumper produced in 2011 contains the 2009 "blue peter coin"  I personally haven't seen one and wanted to try and get one to have a look. Apparently someone has opened it and it does contain the 2009 blue peter coin.

Hopefully this makes sense even though the royal mint/royal mail seem to have very strange procedures.  The problem is you cannot see the coin in the cover.  You have to open the cover up to find out whether it is a 2009 or 2011 coin!  

Sarah

Will add a photo of the runner coin cover in next post to try and explain further.

Thanks Sarah, 

I misunderstood,  I thought the 2 runners were on the coin not the cover :unsure:

I'm not a fan of coins in covers where you can not see both sides of the coin.

It would be really insetting to know if the coins in the 2 covers are consistently dated or whether both designs hold both dates.

My hunch would be that the coins for the second "High Jump" cover would be a specific batch produced for the purpose and therefore would be additional to the mintage for the Blue Peter coin holders, making the 2009 coins more common than the mint figures suggest? 

Ian.. 

4 hours ago, Nutsaboutcoins said:

Thanks Sarah, 

I misunderstood,  I thought the 2 runners were on the coin not the cover :unsure:

I'm not a fan of coins in covers where you can not see both sides of the coin.

It would be really insetting to know if the coins in the 2 covers are consistently dated or whether both designs hold both dates.

My hunch would be that the coins for the second "High Jump" cover would be a specific batch produced for the purpose and therefore would be additional to the mintage for the Blue Peter coin holders, making the 2009 coins more common than the mint figures suggest? 

Ian.. 

I will let you know if I find out any more info.  I am determined to try and find out as it fascinates me.  The last Blue Peter coin sale was £49.95 so it can be nearly classed as reaching £50.  Most are on eBay now for over £50.  

Sarah

On 28 October 2016 at 8:02 AM, shaneleeds said:

Hi

I received an email from The Royal Mint on 27/09/16 saying '...your query has been passed to our information department and may take up to 28 days to answer...'. I'm still waiting.

Shane

Have you had any response Shane.   I am still waiting for my response over 3 months as to why it is not included in either the official circulated or uncirculated coin figures.  Good news the last Blue Peter coin sold for £54.99 plus £2 p&p.  Nearly going to £60!  Strange thing is Kew gardens is still going up and up as well!  

Hi, no I'm still waiting for them to reply. I received an email on 27/09/16 saying my request has been passed to their information department and it could take up to 28 days to reply - I'm still waiting......

Your query has been passed to our Information Department,and may take up to 28 days to answer, my apologies for the delay which is due to experiencing extremely high customer contact throughout the business.

Brilliant coins......poor customer service.

2 hours ago, shaneleeds said:

Hi, no I'm still waiting for them to reply. I received an email on 27/09/16 saying my request has been passed to their information department and it could take up to 28 days to reply - I'm still waiting......

Your query has been passed to our Information Department,and may take up to 28 days to answer, my apologies for the delay which is due to experiencing extremely high customer contact throughout the business.

Brilliant coins......poor customer service.

In their defence, I suggest that they do have a genuinely heavy workload, not filled with questions from the numismatically inclined but rather the general populace who find a heavily corroded disc of metal in the garden and then question what it is. We live in a bubble, floating around in an ocean of ignorance.

Obviously not a recent issue and i am sure they get hundreds of enquiries.

Currently a coin being sold on ebay with a royal mint letter dated 1980 with apologies for the delay in the reply :)

• Like 2

I am rubbish at linking.  I am hoping someone more savvy with a computer can link.  I have been trying to get a straight answer from RM with little success but decided to let people know if they didn't already.  If you go onto the Royal Mint website.  The winner of the blue peter coin design competition is revealed.  You will see that Florence produced her first coin.  All competition winners received the first coin in gold. This will be dated 2009 as occurred in October 2009.  It states in the article that this coin is the first.  It also states on the website 2009.  If florence coin is the 2009 as stated then the 2009 coin is the lowest mintage circulation coin.  2011 is a reprint like the 2009 16 coin set.  The 2009 blue peter coin is the lowest circulation coin.  

I have given up finding info from the royal mint so worth having a go on this site.  

Does anyone on this site know Augsburger on the world coin forum.  He was the one who designed the equestrian coin and I would be interested to know what date his coin has as he should have one of the gold ones. He also knows alot about the olympic coins.  The best thing would be is to find the girl who designed the coin and ask her what date is on it!

I have spoken to a few people at the royal mint regarding errors etc.

As far as emails i am to impatient and always want to speak to someone and BULLY my way to speak to the right person  ;),then after the conversation have there name ,direct number and mail address,anything we have discussed i ask them to drop me a line and they have been really helpful .

Just sending a mail does not appear to work as i am sure they get hundreds :)

I am on the fifty pence Facebook group and found some really interesting information.  I have found 2 of the designers and both their coins are 2011 which ties in with the fact that the designs were released later.  Another interesting fact was that Florence Jackson was not at the design launch in 2011.  She went in 2009.   I think her coin is 2009 which makes the blue peter coin the original design.  Not as rare as the aquatic one but that was a error not a mintage.  The original mintage for the original olympic 2009 would be the lowest ever.  just got to find Florence Jackson to confirm what her gold coin is!

This predecimal forum and the blue peter coin is mentioned in the daily mail.  Rubbish at linking.  If you go to the money page of the daily mail and the article is there.  Has pictures and quotes from the page.  Hopefully someone can link. Does any one on this site have a connection with the Royal mint museum..  All I want to know is which coin Florence Jackson was given and is sitting in the Royal Mint museum!  I have emailed and phoned the museum and Royal mint and they will not give the information out.