British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

shaneleeds

2009 Blue Peter Olympic 50p

I see, thank you for clearing that up Sarah. Although as a non-circulating currency there are a plethora of coins the RM has minted which only have a mintage figure of 1000 or 2000, perhaps this is why the non-circulating 2009 50p is not worth as much as the kew gardens one which can be, although very unlikely, picked up in change.

That's what I was looking at too, but it didn't mention the 2009 version of the athletics 50p.

43 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

That's what I was looking at too, but it didn't mention the 2009 version of the athletics 50p.

You mean the 2011 version?

Just now, DaveG38 said:

You mean the 2011 version?

Nope, I mean the 2009 version. Have a look back at Sarah's last post..

I didn't know about it, although it's not a circulating currency version so wouldn't be on the radar.

Having said that, I would like to see an actual picture of this coin because I can't for the life of me find one anywhere with 2009 written on it.

9 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Nope, I mean the 2009 version. Have a look back at Sarah's last post..

The 2009 is there. It's the 2011 that's missing from the RM site.

same as the 2011, just the daate is different

2009 jackson.jpg

1 minute ago, DaveG38 said:

The 2009 is there. It's the 2011 that's missing from the RM site.

Ah yes, correct you are.

1 minute ago, Rob said:

same as the 2011, just the daate is different

Mine's 2011. Thanks for the picture.

1.png

Does anyone know if any of the gold versions of the Olympic 50p have hit the market?

Guest Sarah

Hello

Thank you for your e-mail.

There were 19,751 Blue Peter coin presentations issued.

Regards

Elizabeth Knapgate

Customer Service Advisor

Email reply from the Royal Mint.

Guest Sarah

Does this mean if the Royal mint are using the 2009 date for the athletic olympic coin that the 2009 is the official coin date rather than the 2011 which then the 2011 becomes a reprint coin?  

The other interesting fact about the 2009 blue peter coin is that it is an actual circulation issue coin, not a BU coin (this discussion was had on another forum back in 2011)         

Does any one know of any other one off 50ps where the coin has been reproduced in 2 different years (apart from the 2009 special 16 coin edition set)  

I believe from looking into the coin, the RM probably wanted to profit early from the olympics and from the publicity from Blue Peter and it back fired.  Children were not interested in spending £1.99 on a 50p coin and there was no great olympic build up in 2009 hence why so few sold.

As far as I could tell the 2009 was not for circulation but could be bought in a presentation pack, like you said, for 1.99. A BU coin is just one that is brilliantly uncirculated, it doesn't refer to whether or not it was circulating. 

That's why there were so few as opposed to the 2011 issue which was designed for circulation. 

I do agree that the 2009 issue didn't draw much attention however the 29 design series actually got a lot of people into coin collecting. I've read that they have been one of the most held onto coins, with a lot more than half being taken out of circulation by the public. 

I think these coins if it was made public in the press and in the media would easy fetch £250 each , after all they are much much rarer than the mule 20p and ten times rarer than kew gardens 50ps which are actually quite common.

All it needs is for someone to leak this news to the daily mail and every chav in the county will be seaching their pockets looking for these coins (with no success, by the way!)

• Like 1

Guest Sarah

I have managed to get a genuine slabbed blue peter 2009 coin from ngc showing ms 66.  New to ngc but shows the coin is struck to circulation issue as there were queries as to the strike when first issued.  Shows royal mint just put normal circulation coins into packaging and quadrupled price to 1.99!  Now they just increase price even further to £10.  Royal mint know how to print money in more ways than one! 

147326801792193958187.jpg

I would be interested to know what hologram numbers people have on their blue peter coin.  I have quite a few and the hologram numbers vary alot i.e. more than 19k.  The hologram number was given to all olympic products (not just coins) to help prevent fraud.  The lower the number, the earlier they were produced.  This  is important for olympic products as you can tell how early they were produced during the olympic time. I know it shouldn't change the product but some of the royal mint olympic products do seem to be different?   e.g. One of my blue peter coins has the hologram number L02086459 whereas another have number L0351563.  Others vary significantly within these numbers so all 19k not produced at the same time if that hopefully makes sense.

I  appreciate some people might think this being picky as the coins should be supposedly the same.  However, from the research I have done this may not be the case.  However, I need to try and get more info.  This can be tricky as I didn't start collecting until earlier this year so was not around at the time the olympic coins were released and I am not an expert hence why any help people can give is much appreciated.  Originally I believed there could be fake olympic coins but the evidence suggests that different releases occurred.   All my blue peter coins have been bought through eBay not through original Royal Mint which makes it more difficult as well to work out numbers.

Guest Guest Sarah
On 19 May 2016 at 9:26 AM, copper123 said:

Would anyone like a ex rare  blue peter 50p 2009 only £200

Copper123 funny you should say that. Have you just sold your ex rare blue peter athletic coin as one has just sold yesterday for £250 on eBay with another just gone up for sale!!!!:o:o  Could be catching on ;)   

1 hour ago, Guest Guest Sarah said:

Copper123 funny you should say that. Have you just sold your ex rare blue peter athletic coin as one has just sold yesterday for £250 on eBay with another just gone up for sale!!!!:o:o  Could be catching on ;)   

Ah yes but the next one only went for £31 plus postage!

nope mine is awaiting the anouncement in the mail  of its rareity

I paid £5.99 for mine if I remember rightly

15 hours ago, Paddy said:

Ah yes but the next one only went for £31 plus postage!

Interesting that back in June these were going for around £18, but have since jumped to around the £33-35 mark. Publicity I imagine?

That's because the ladies thought I was on the reverse wearing my python skin posing pouch.B)

This is the only coin I need to finish off my Olympic 50p set. I was lucky enough to get the whole set mint on card for very cheap. Just want the 2009 edition for my completionist need..... 

Edited by bhx7

This coin recieved a perfect storm to make it a collectors item.

Zero publicity from the press , little interest from the public and the tv program that was the reason for its birth taking a massive dive in popularity.

June price £20

July price £30

August price £35.

WATCH THIS SPACE

This september they have reached £40 - a trend is slowly developeing

Guest Sarah
On 17 September 2016 at 8:41 PM, copper123 said:

This september they have reached £40 - a trend is slowly developeing

This evening one has just sold for £44.99 plus £2 p&p - nearly at £50