British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Withers Class 11 Penny Subdivisions?

I'm just reading Withers' book on pennies, and have noted they say 'there are several subdivision of this group [Class 11]' (just happens to be Class 11).

They obviously have 11a, 11b, and 11c, which then have further 'uncatalogued' legend and bust variations, but I can't see any reference of use beyond saying:

'Canterbury Class 11b Penny with legend EDWAR R ANGL DNS hYB and Large Faced Bust with rounded chin,' which is a little unsatisfactory.

However, and to cut a long story short, I've just seen a reference on the net which says 'Class 11b2.'

Where are they getting the extra reference add-on from? Is there a reference that classifies at a deeper level than the Withers book?

Cheers in advance, and as always, gents! :)

North. 11a1, 2, 3, 11b1, 2, 3, 11c and 11d.

Each publication seems to differ. Class 11 is often used as the starting point for Edward II's reign (although untrue) there is still some debate regarding the chronological ordering of the classes (e.g. 6 & 7) and even some people who disagree with class 1b being termed a 'class' and not a pattern.

North. 11a1, 2, 3, 11b1, 2, 3, 11c and 11d.

Thanks, Clive, that's great. I must get the first vol. of North.

I'd noticed Wren used 11d (and you say North) but Withers doesn't, without any explanation that I can see?

Each publication seems to differ. Class 11 is often used as the starting point for Edward II's reign (although untrue) there is still some debate regarding the chronological ordering of the classes (e.g. 6 & 7) and even some people who disagree with class 1b being termed a 'class' and not a pattern.

Withers is suggesting 10cf for the start of Edward II...is that also your's and the general establishments understanding, or are there further studies contesting that?

Cheers, Clive. :)

I'd noticed Wren used 11d (and you say North) but Withers doesn't, without any explanation that I can see?

Don't get Vol. 1, get vol. 2 if you want Edward I & II.

11d isn't represented in Spink, either. It seems to just be different perspectives - perhaps 11d is seen as a 'mule' by some?

Withers is suggesting 10cf for the start of Edward II...is that also your's and the general establishments understanding, or are there further studies contesting that?

It's hard to prove based on the dies and other evidence we have, but 10cf is definitely one I take to be the start of Edward II's coinage if I were to be specific.

Don't get Vol. 1, get vol. 2 if you want Edward I & II.

11d isn't represented in Spink, either. It seems to just be different perspectives - perhaps 11d is seen as a 'mule' by some?

Time for Stuart to go back to school! I have been second-guessing North's input on the Edward coinage for the last week, not even registering that the information was in Vol.2, which I have sat in my cupboard, not 40ft from where I'm sitting right now! What a complete and utter imbecile! :rolleyes:

Oh, well, you've saved me a few quid there, maybe I could spend it on a... Maybe not, not just yet! ;)

Cheers, Clive!

Oh, well, you've saved me a few quid there, maybe I could spend it on a...

...a pint of ale? Very generous of you, old chap. ;)

Oh, well, you've saved me a few quid there, maybe I could spend it on a...

...a pint of ale? Very generous of you, old chap. ;)

The pleasure would be all mine! :)

North is always a valuable reference, my Suggestion Would be to buy soon as those books Have risen sharply in price. My first cost me £40, the 2nd £85 :(

sounds like Stu has it but hasn't been using it for Eddie

There is 2 volumes of North though, if you like hammered coinage then i'd buy the both. Great books

Edited by azda

North is always a valuable reference, my Suggestion Would be to buy soon as those books Have risen sharply in price. My first cost me £40, the 2nd £85 :(

I did notice the rise in value. I was looking around for a deal on Vol. I (until I had the doh moment), and was really surprised at the prices...you're right about the increase, what's going on out there?

Fortunately, I won't be needing Vol. I for a bit...at least not until I expand the borders of Edward II to include the Plantagenets in their entirety, which is what I intend to do when the good times start rolling in again! :)

sounds like Stu has it but hasn't been using it for Eddie

Yes, a major dunce moment, Paul! :blink:

I did notice the rise in value. I was looking around for a deal on Vol. I (until I had the doh moment), and was really surprised at the prices...you're right about the increase, what's going on out there?

Fortunately, I won't be needing Vol. I for a bit...at least not until I expand the borders of Edward II to include the Plantagenets in their entirety, which is what I intend to do when the good times start rolling in again! :)

Buy now and avoid a 3 figure book Thats out of Print probably? Keep a lookout at auctions for them at lower prices if you're lucky, also the probability that metal detectorists are also buying them may be a factor Edited by azda

It's hard to prove based on the dies and other evidence we have, but 10cf is definitely one I take to be the start of Edward II's coinage if I were to be specific.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the specific text/articles that discuss the 10cf edward I/II cross over?

Can anyone point me in the direction of the specific text/articles that discuss the 10cf edward I/II cross over?

Have a look at the Fox brothers' work in the BNJ. Volumes 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10: Numismatic History of the Reigns of Edward I, II and III.

e.g. Page 187 of this seminal work.

Clive, I made a response of gratitude to this post, shortly after you made it! Lord knows what happened to it? Maybe I hit the wrong button or something on my phone?

Anyhow, many thanks for that...perfect! :)