British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coinery

Coin Weights for Hammered Coin

Just a quick question. Did the medieval mint manufacture its own 'official' coin weights?

A lot of trade weights bear a royal mark, so I would have assumed the same for coin weights that there would have been some form of official weight set

They were made by the same people who engraved the dies and made the punches. So you see Charles I weights signed by Briot for example.

OK, that would explain the one I've just seen punched with a cosher bust of Elizabeth!

Thanks, chaps!

You get something similar with the pyx trial standard plates. The Mint has pieces of gold which were used as the relevant standard for the period marked on the plate. For some it carries the description of the fineness in words, but for others it carries an impression of the coin against which it was tried - angel, crown sovereign etc. This was covered in a useful little book called Ancient trial Plates of the Royal Mint by J H Watson (1962)

Thanks, Rob, interesting and intriguing!

I might come back to this thread in a bit! ;)

I hope you're not thinking of a purchase Stewie ;)