British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

No idea why we have chosen to have separate threads for hammered(my fault), silver (my fault), copper and bronze, and for acquisitions of the week, but I guess it helps (a little) to find stuff you are interested in!

My comment was about milled, where there is some uniformity, but as I've said I am becoming more interested in hammered (a MASSIVE, subject of course, so baby steps for me, James I and Liz next).

Rob, I would be disappointed if at some point you didn't publish some of your vast collection and knowledge B)

Edited by Paulus

Apologies. Normal service restored. 1817 shilling with I/S in HONI

197-Copy.jpg

Love it when the over-strikes are so clear, sometimes it seems to require a leap of faith to accept what the seller is suggesting (I've opted out of those varieties so no longer bothered)

Milled coins just ain't what they used to be? They just got a whole lot better! ;)

Oops. Forgot that. Much easier to find nice hammered than milled.

Problem corrected. Don't see above. ;) If you get my drift.

Edited by Rob

And the seriously heavily toned Peck R44 halfpenny reverse.

200-Copy.jpg

That's pretty extreme Rob, would be a proud owner though!

A wee shilling

post-5057-0-36131800-1433195740_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Two of my most colourfully toned coins.

post-7623-0-52055100-1433270134_thumb.jp

post-7623-0-22693200-1433270183_thumb.jp

post-7623-0-61519200-1433270201_thumb.jp

post-7623-0-56549900-1433270214_thumb.jp

Two of my most colourfully toned coins.

NICE! :)

Camera has let me down again. But in real life the toning has crept around all the details outlining them in shadows, almost as if an artist did it.

post-4212-0-91449200-1435417059_thumb.jp

I was thinking the same about the 1898 crown regarding artist drawing it, very nice. Not a huge fan of the halfcrowns though (personal preference) although there seems to be a large knock at 7pm on the REV. They look like CGS pictured coins or from Londoncoins

Edited by azda

Dave

Thanks for the heads up from our pal from Cornwall.

I tried to bid on one of his auctions a while back and I was banned.... :rolleyes:

Me surely not.

I have a place in my cabinet for the variety but he can do one B)

Its not a be all and end all.

My list of copper farthings 1672 -1956 inc varieties is dwindling.(Thanks Colin ;) )

I've picked up some goodens recently which are duplicates and will pay their way.

Plenty of small date 58's 1771 type b's and 1859.

(never listed by CC)

i'm waiting for Colin Goodes publication to get my early retirement.

Although 55 next year I can take my poncy retirement fund at 25% tax free....guess where my cash is going.

:P ?

Dave

Thanks for the heads up from our pal from Cornwall.

I tried to bid on one of his auctions a while back and I was banned.... :rolleyes:

Me surely not.

I have a place in my cabinet for the variety but he can do one B)

Its not a be all and end all.

My list of copper farthings 1672 -1956 inc varieties is dwindling.(Thanks Colin ;) )

I've picked up some goodens recently which are duplicates and will pay their way.

Plenty of small date 58's 1771 type b's and 1859.

(never listed by CC)

i'm waiting for Colin Goodes publication to get my early retirement.

Although 55 next year I can take my poncy retirement fund at 25% tax free....guess where my cash is going.

:P ?

Exactly what I did when I turned 55 last November Peter! At least I now have a more diverse portfolio that I am in control of an can enjoy!

My most recent acquisitions that you have admired are as a result of releasing a small percentage of my previously locked pension funds :)

Keeping investment strategy separate from collecting strategy is still key, but I feel right now they often coincide at the high end :)

I just noticed this .500 silver 1939 halfcrown in the back of a draw of a cabinet where I keep my duplicate coins. Nothing rare but the toning is well developed for a .500 silver coin.

post-8305-0-00208800-1435463420_thumb.jp

post-8305-0-11003800-1435463450_thumb.jp

Thanks guys :)

Yes, they are CGS photos (but I brought the coins raw)

Thought I would bump this thread by posting a couple of recent toned silver acquisitions here, and to bring it to the attention of newer members, who may wish to contribute! :)

1826_hc_z01.png

1911_fl_pf_03.png

• Like 2

Nice toning on that florin :)

I'd like to resurrect this topic, we have quite a few new members who might like to contribute something, which is great (of course)!

This is one of my favourite designs, and one of my favourite silver toned coins

1821_hc_03_cgs_78_20878_1350.png

And another newbie

1817-halfcrown.png

Nice! :-)

And a newbie 1903_fl_02_sellers_colcarm.png

I think the Edward VII Florin is one of Britain's best looking coins! Nice example!

Thanks Bob, as you may have noticed, I like a bit of (natural) toning!

Love the bull head toning, that's crazy! Do you get more of a tone in hand or does the camera really bring the blue out?