British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

It is my recall that in fact these florin patterns WERE sold as sets - or at least a portion of them. I have seen not complete 27 sets but I think it was 8 or so coins in a set...

2 hours ago, VickySilver said:

It is my recall that in fact these florin patterns WERE sold as sets - or at least a portion of them. I have seen not complete 27 sets but I think it was 8 or so coins in a set...

They aren't available in equal numbers and the recutting of the ONE FLORIN reverse to read ONE DIME means that if they were struck as sets then there could only be one striking session because all the ONE FLORINs would have to have been made in advance of the first ONE DIME, or at least with this rev. design. You also have the six reverses used for the 3 double reverses. These are the only mutually exclusively timed dies. The ONE DIME reverse therefore appears to post-date the majority of these patterns.

11 hours ago, VickySilver said:

I think it is likely there were smaller sets than 27 coins, just not as a complete set because, as shown from the image, the DIME and FLORIN legends could only be struck at different times. Florin reverses are relatively common compared to the Dime with the same adopted reverse design, which would suggest that these were either 'generally available'  or formed part of the intended original constituents. The Dime appears to be an afterthought, as it only occurs with the adopted reverse, variously paired with the three obverses.

Tidiness suggests an example of each obverse and reverse design, or an example of each proposed denomination. The double reverses could be a set of three giving the alternative designs for a specific legend, or part of a larger group. It should precede the ONE DIME though, which must be late in the period.

What's the forum consensus on the toning on this.  Does everything look natural?

N%20Florin%201852%20Obverse_zpsdoga9avh.

N%20Florin%201852%20Reverse_zpsqauvw2fg.

• Like 1

I think this one is natural.  I like it anyway.

N%20Florin%201900%20Obverse_zpsrfcr1vdu.

N%20Florin%201900%20Reverse_zpsvdqxv0dv.

• Like 1

Prefer the 1900. Nice tone on the reverse. I like the way the colours change subtly.

The other one is not doing it for me. Less of a colour change, more just black around the edges.

Edited by IanB

Picked up this medal.  Will take my own photos when I receive it in hand.  Below are the PCGS photos.

BHM-3241, diameter 39mm (PCGS SP63)

1887_VictoriaJubilee_BHM3241_PCGS_SP63_c

• Like 1

The '52 2/- is rubbed a bit with retone, not so crazy about it. The '00 a bit finer of course with what look to be only a trace of rub in obv. field to right.

BRG as usual with very beautiful bits...

• Like 1

Acquired yesterday, seller's pics.

1911_hc_pf_02_01_sellers.png

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 7

Very nice!

Snap. I just received this one today CGS 85 seems they did not reject this one on account of the toning. Pity I cannot check it on London Coins Web site

without paying.

img076.jpg

img075.jpg

Previously you could look the coin up on the old CGS site via its UIN serial # and see the photo CGS took plus their description of the coin thus confirming

it has been graded by CGS. Which was one of the useful things CGS used to do in order to support their product now as far as I am aware a service no longer provided.

just purchased, a common coin, but nice 

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-21%20at%2007.16.

Nice Azda  jubilee florins are a very difficult series to collect. Plenty of double florins in the higher grades however the florins are conspicuous by their absence.

5 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

Nice Azda  jubilee florins are a very difficult series to collect. Plenty of double florins in the higher grades however the florins are conspicuous by their absence.

I spotted it a couple of days back and thought i'd make an offer on it, the seller tried to raise it by 4 euros which i found strange, so i sent him an email saying i was no longer interested, he got back to me this morning saying he'll accept my original offer B)

I noticed the eBay seller Jon Blyth sold one last night in MS65 for £125,33 so it was a bargain in comparison, although the most expensive i've seen was sold by Heritage for $328

4 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Snap. I just received this one today CGS 85 seems they did not reject this one on account of the toning. Pity I cannot check it on London Coins Web site

without paying.

img076.jpg

img075.jpg

I think that's from me Oz! ;)

Hi Paulus the seller was starling 69. Assuming that's you thanks for the coin it was a reasonable price and a nice grade. I already had one from the short 1911 set I have. This one is for the date run I am trying to collect.

1 hour ago, ozjohn said:

Hi Paulus the seller was starling 69.

Yup that's Paulus :)

A new 1915 Halfcrown, not the highest grade but nicely toned. I am playing around with a new camera at the moment, trying to find the correct setting to represent the coin as it is in hand. This is one of my first few attempts. I think I may need a tad more shadow/contrast.1915-hc-2.jpg

1 hour ago, Nonmortuus said:

A new 1915 Halfcrown, not the highest grade but nicely toned. I am playing around with a new camera at the moment, trying to find the correct setting to represent the coin as it is in hand. This is one of my first few attempts. I think I may need a tad more shadow/contrast.

Nice.  I do like coins with peripheral toning.

For coin photos, I use mode-A (aperture priority) with an F-number around 10 or so with a daylight bulb CFT light source.  If your photo doesn't quite tally with what you see in hand, you may need to change the white balance to match your light source type (some DSLRs also have a procedure to match the white balance exactly to the light source).

11 hours ago, azda said:

just purchased, a common coin, but nice 

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-21%20at%2007.16.

That tone! Is it really that deep? Looks like dark bronze!

Beautiful

35 minutes ago, Leo said:

That tone! Is it really that deep? Looks like dark bronze!

Beautiful

I would hope so, it was the other reason i bought it......When it arrives i'll add my own pictures

1887 Florin arrived

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3