British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

31 minutes ago, Peter said:

Paul

Nice...was it an ebay BIN purchase?

It was indeed, I don't do so many of those these days - was it on your radar?

Yes... if from Trowbridge? If so a good seller. It wasn't a MUST upgrade for me.

25 minutes ago, Peter said:

Yes... if from Trowbridge? If so a good seller. It wasn't a MUST upgrade for me.

Seller is a very prolific eBay seller, based near Yeovil. It was one one those where I could tell the minimum grade from the pics but suspected it would look nicer in hand, and so it has proven I believe :) My previous no hearts sixpence was not all that and was letting the side down a bit!

£35 delivered.  

Great buy ....nicer than the one I was looking at.:)

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Great buy ....nicer than the one I was looking at.:)

Thanks Peter.

Sometimes you get to know a seller's pics, sometimes their coins are consistently better in hand than their pics suggest

1787_sx_wo_hearts_02_sellers_vs_1l_nt.jp

His pics above, mine below

• Like 2

Recently re-picced, not posted before

1821_cr_02_cgs_65_uin_28563_800.jpg (1600×800)

• Like 1

Briot 1st milled issue penny.

c1964 Briot 1st milled 1d.JPG

• Like 1

That's got appeal in spades Rob, I take it it is not listed for sale on your site? (I haven't checked in a few days)

Just now, Paulus said:

That's got appeal in spades Rob, I take it it is not listed for sale on your site? (I haven't checked in a few days)

That's mine.

I'm having difficulties taking pictures at the moment. I haven't listed anything for weeks. I've got literally hundreds of coins waiting to be imaged and no time coupled with an inability to take quality pics. :(

1 minute ago, Rob said:

That's mine.

I'm having difficulties taking pictures at the moment. I haven't listed anything for weeks. I've got literally hundreds of coins waiting to be imaged and no time coupled with an inability to take quality pics. :(

I thought so, to your credit you do not promote your coins for sale on here.

Your pics got so much better for a while when you had some help, did your helpers (daughters?) not document how to do it?

Just now, Paulus said:

I thought so, to your credit you do not promote your coins for sale on here.

Your pics got so much better for a while when you had some help, did your helpers (daughters?) not document how to do it?

Pictures have always been a lottery.

When the offspring redid the site at Christmas, eldest set up youngest's Canon camera using a digicam program and something called lightbox. That allowed the proces to be automated, but then the camera started playing up. I reverted to the Nikon I used before, but that didn't support autofocussing through the camera control program. Then the basic lens had shutter problems so I had to put on the macro, which works but light is a problem.

I wanted to standardise on a background, preferably black, but I can only get decent exposures with a light background for most things, particularly dark toned coins. A good example is the halfgroat I posted a couple days ago. LC's image is great, mine isn't. I don't know what they use as the background material, but there is no texture to it. I've spent days or weeks trying to get the lighting right, but my dark coins are not too far off the background colour, so lightening them, does the same to the background. Using the green offered the best contrast, because so few coins have a green tone, but the texture diverts your attention away from the coin. If the background is featureless, you concentrate on the subject.

The key thing is light I think ... the lighting used to illuminate the coin, the amount of light your camera's lens will process, and the light reflected from the subject (including the background)

LC (and CGS - same photographers / set up)) I believe use different backgrounds for different coin metal content / tones, but the backgrounds you see in their final results may well be post production edits using whatever software they use. They are far from professional but achieve decent enough results (nowadays).

For me the end result has to be photos that represent the coin in hand, which itself will vary according to the type and quantity of light available - so not an exact science!

Featureless backgrounds are best, agreed. Try a Daylight LED lamp with both lamp and lens directly over an un-tilted coin (if you can achieve that set-up without the camera / lamp blocking each other) - in essence that's where my best results have come from!

As you will have gathered from my many posts, I believe this is an area worth getting right!

@brg5658 is far more expert than I, and I have learnt a lot from him

Edited by Paulus

I suspect that most of the images have been manipulated somehow to change the background only. I'm not sure my hand is steady enough to cut out an irregular shape and paste into a featureless black page.

1 minute ago, Rob said:

I suspect that most of the images have been manipulated somehow to change the background only. I'm not sure my hand is steady enough to cut out an irregular shape and paste into a featureless black page.

It wouldn't need to be, I'd be happy to help further ... for example if you like I will set up a Webex on-line meeting where we can share our screens and I could show you what I mean? It would just involve you clicking on a link in an email and following the instructions. I'd really like to help :)

Might be possible, but not this week for certain. Ta. :)

Terrific coin Rob- 

As Nons is already well aware, I lurve that 97 reverse! :)

Proof 1826 shilling. Usual quality pics - not

c1826 - Proof 1826 shilling. Type example..jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Rob said:

Proof 1826 shilling. Usual quality pics - not

c1826 - Proof 1826 shilling. Type example..jpg

I bet that's even more impressive in hand Rob, I do know how frustrating it is!

1848 patern florin with the adopted reverse design but ONE DIME legend. DIME is clearly cut over FLORIN making it extremely unlikely that the series of 27 patterns was actually produced as a set. This legend is the rarest, being used on only two reverse designs. Needs to be reimaged to bring out the iridescence.

c1705-1848%20florin%20One%20Dime_zpsjfy9

• Like 1

I love this sort of thing ... at least it doesn't read 'one tenth of a dollar' ... I wonder if they were considering that