British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

That's lovely.  I really like the W&M silver coins with that reverse design.  I'm on the lookout for a 1693 normal date shilling.

Edited by Stuntman
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Cheers chaps ...

Another Half Crown

1826_hc_02_spink_sept_2015_lot_860_cgs__

This is amazing ! What a conservation ! Congrats Paulus 

• Like 1

Suits you sir! :) That is some lovely toning, blue on the obverse and yellow on the reverse, amazing!

Does is show up as well in hand? 

5 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Suits you sir! :) That is some lovely toning, blue on the obverse and yellow on the reverse, amazing!

Does is show up as well in hand? 

Even better when tilted slightly to the light! :) Spink September 2015

Edited by Paulus

Nice :)

This is one thing I do miss out on only collecting pennies, some lovely real toned silver (as opposed to that rainbow coloured stuff that floods the American market!)

1 minute ago, Nordle11 said:

This is one thing I do miss out on only collecting pennies, some lovely real toned silver (as opposed to that rainbow coloured stuff that floods the American market!)

Plenty of time to branch out into other areas! B)

• Like 1

On 1/8/2016 at 5:25 PM, Nordle11 said:

Not to distract too much -- but I wouldn't say the "rainbow coloured stuff" floods the American market.  It's actually pretty hard to find attractive and original toning on silver coins, regardless of the geographic market you're in (not hard in the Maundy series though).  It has taken me 5 years to find 4 coins to my liking...

That being said, I have developed some thicker skin from all of the jabs at the American market.... :D  To each his/her own...

@Paulus, some wonderful coins you've been posting here.  I won a shilling in yesterday's Heritage auction, I'll post it when I get it in hand and have a chance to photograph it.

I missed a crucial word there BRG! It should have read, 'artificial' rainbow toning :) 

The real toning you get from age old silver is great, I really enjoy those pieces. 

I have been meaning to message you actually about a conder I have been watching that I would be grateful for your opinion on, expect a message tomorrow ;) 

@brg5658 very kind of you to say so Brandon, I look forward to your pics, which I'm sure will be top notch as usual! :)

How do you tag people like you did me in your post? I've attempted to tag you back (just by typing the @ + your user name) but I'm not sure that it has worked?

@brg5658

Edit: Got it! In my 5th year of using this Forum and never knew about that!!

Edited by Paulus

Neat little feature! :) 

@Paulus - I think it might be part of the update, I'm sure I've written @ someone before but never seen the little pop up come up!

9 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

I missed a crucial word there BRG! It should have read, 'artificial' rainbow toning :) 

The real toning you get from age old silver is great, I really enjoy those pieces. 

I have been meaning to message you actually about a conder I have been watching that I would be grateful for your opinion on, expect a message tomorrow ;) 

These are what I was on about! Cool to look at but not really for buying.

1.jpg

2.jpg

That rainbow tone is hideous, might as well take a pack of felt tip pens to them.

Your head has gone Matt ,good job its nearly the weekend ........cool to luck at:o

They look absolutely RANG TANG :D

If that 2015 coin gets slabbed without being rejected as ATed, then by logical extension it has to be genuine and so someone at the mint should get a grip on handling and quality control. Somehow, I don't think that's the problem. Surely a coin that is 13 months old at most, but potentially less than a month old should ring alarm bells when it is presented in such a condition? That really is a case of head in sand.

Its making me feel ill just looking at them.

Does anyone know how they end up looking like that ?.

I was told by someone who was toning 2oz silver rounds that they used eggs and the associated sulphar they release.

I think it's extreme heat but not 100%.

And cool to look at as in they're colourful, colourful things are always cool to look at :P the coins themselves aren't cool but the vibrant colors are!

Also have seen such baked with aluminium foil!

7 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Does anyone know how they end up looking like that ?.

I remember seeing a video on Youtube - they used some chemical and a small electric current.

• Like 1

That isa nice looking sixpence!

• Like 1