British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

Is the toning greenish? Someone bought me a box of mainly G5 silver that was was packed in lamb's wool and hadn't been looked at for many years. The result was a beautifully toned selection of coins, all of which had a green tone - presumably from the oils in the wool. Green is not a particularly common colour IMO, so wonder if the same applies.

6 hours ago, Rob said:

Is the toning greenish? Someone bought me a box of mainly G5 silver that was was packed in lamb's wool and hadn't been looked at for many years. The result was a beautifully toned selection of coins, all of which had a green tone - presumably from the oils in the wool. Green is not a particularly common colour IMO, so wonder if the same applies.

Sheep, in Australia? Surely not... :lol:

• Haha 3

I do wonder if coin cabinet makers should consider using felts made from materials that are likely to result in good (and relatively speedy).

• Like 1

A common coin but the toning is nice and much more intense than that shown in photos.

355063202_1(1)-Copy.jpg.d430e10303ba92340e76022b2b303a10.jpg485402704_1(2)-Copy.jpg.b41d116cadcacb9646c7462cc62b87ea.jpg

• Like 9

A few cheap additions, mainly bought for the toning over the grade.1902-shilling-ex-gm-coins.jpg

• Like 4

Beautiful peripheral toning!

IMG_20230331_0001.jpg

• Like 2

IMG_20230331_0002.jpg

Edited by copper123
  • Like 3

On 3/31/2023 at 9:31 PM, Nonmortuus said:

1923-halfcrown-6.jpg

Snap. Your photographic technique is much better than mine as per my recent post "Another Find in my Coin Cabinet"  that featured the coin below. It was photographed with my iphone although I have a Sony mirrorless camera with a macro lens all mounted on a tripod. The results are disappointing and any tips would be welcome

Small File.jpg

• Like 1

I like the 1923 halfcrowns. It's really nice to see the portrait (and also the reverse) fully struck unlike the earlier sterling silver version.

On 4/22/2023 at 11:35 PM, ozjohn said:

Snap. Your photographic technique is much better than mine as per my recent post "Another Find in my Coin Cabinet"  that featured the coin below. It was photographed with my iphone although I have a Sony mirrorless camera with a macro lens all mounted on a tripod. The results are disappointing and any tips would be welcome

Small File.jpg

Happy to try and help. I spoke with @Paulus for a number of hours in then past about this. I use black neoprene as the back ground as its chemically inert. I use a desk mounted day light led lamp I use from another hobby (28mm war gaming) as the light source. I have my DSLR camera on a tripod with a macro lens. I then place the neoprene on a wooden block cut at an angle that allows me to position the light source directly over the coin but leave the coin flat in relation to the camera lens. I usually take 4 or 5 shots of each side and decide which is the best before cropping them down and joining them.

• Like 1

You all are much much better than me.  Cataloging and taking pictures are a very time consuming.  What make it worse is my PC broke down months ago, which made me lost pictures as I forget to do a routine backup😭

862322694_1851TheFifthPeaceCongressLondonFrenchdelegationSilverMedalObverse1.thumb.jpg.ca8e23c5cd7ab69e1d31d4c9316d524a.jpg3849391_1851TheFifthPeaceCongressLondonFrenchdelegationSilverMedalReverse1.thumb.jpg.3f65ab2281517b6c98b9e7ead9c1e2f2.jpg

• Like 3

That looks really nice! Was it just plain silver originally? If so, wonderful toning!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sword said:

That looks really nice! Was it just plain silver originally? If so, wonderful toning!

Yes, think so, this is what it's described when i bought it.  However, i remember there is no hallmark on it but not sure if my memory is right or not.

Edited by Bruce

On 1/3/2023 at 9:52 PM, Sword said:

A common coin but the toning is nice and much more intense than that shown in photos.

355063202_1(1)-Copy.jpg.d430e10303ba92340e76022b2b303a10.jpg485402704_1(2)-Copy.jpg.b41d116cadcacb9646c7462cc62b87ea.jpg

Not to mention that the coin itself is in really good nick.  Jubilee Vic effigies wear terribly.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Happy to try and help. I spoke with @Paulus for a number of hours in then past about this. I use black neoprene as the back ground as its chemically inert. I use a desk mounted day light led lamp I use from another hobby (28mm war gaming) as the light source. I have my DSLR camera on a tripod with a macro lens. I then place the neoprene on a wooden block cut at an angle that allows me to position the light source directly over the coin but leave the coin flat in relation to the camera lens. I usually take 4 or 5 shots of each side and decide which is the best before cropping them down and joining them.

Thanks for that. That's basically what I have used  in the past other than the wedge shaped wooden block. I have always thought the secret is in the lighting.  This is where  the angled block will help. I assume you  adjust the camera  angle as well  to ensure it is normal to the coin's surface. I will try that .

Many thanks,

ozjohn

Edited by ozjohn
More info
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Bruce said:

You all are much much better than me.  Cataloging and taking pictures are a very time consuming.  What make it worse is my PC broke down months ago, which made me lost pictures as I forget to do a routine backup😭

862322694_1851TheFifthPeaceCongressLondonFrenchdelegationSilverMedalObverse1.thumb.jpg.ca8e23c5cd7ab69e1d31d4c9316d524a.jpg3849391_1851TheFifthPeaceCongressLondonFrenchdelegationSilverMedalReverse1.thumb.jpg.3f65ab2281517b6c98b9e7ead9c1e2f2.jpg

Obverse:Glory be to God on high and peace on earth to men of good will

Reverse: To 15 Paris workers who have skillfully represented their French colleagues at the London peace congress 22,23 & 24 July 1851

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-british-studies/article/abs/richard-cobden-and-the-international-peace-congress-movement-18481853/DEADE50EA37DB5668A4BFC2921EEAAF5

An interesting medal.

Edited by ozjohn
More info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ozjohn said:

Obverse:Glory be to God on high and peace on earth to men of good will

Reverse: To 15 Paris workers who have skillfully represented their French colleagues at the London peace congress 22,23 & 24 July 1851

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-british-studies/article/abs/richard-cobden-and-the-international-peace-congress-movement-18481853/DEADE50EA37DB5668A4BFC2921EEAAF5

An interesting medal.

Thanks ozjohn for sharing the article.  I tried to understand more about the congress since having the medal on hand, but found resources are very limited before.  I am attracted by the medal especially due to the message deliver n in current chaos world.  

13 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Thanks for that. That's basically what I have used  in the past other than the wedge shaped wooden block. I have always thought the secret is in the lighting.  This is where  the angled block will help. I assume you  adjust the camera  angle as well  to ensure it is normal to the coin's surface. I will try that .

Many thanks,

ozjohn

Yes that's the case, the lens is at the same angle as the block so the coin appears 'flat' and lined up to the lens. This means I can get more light from the lamp.

• Like 1

Haven't posted anything here for a few years, so I'll add a few. 

Like Sword, I also added a JH 3d. Plus an 1834 threehalfpence.

c2228-1887 JH Threepence TYPE EXAMPLE.jpg

c2226-1834 threehalfpence TYPE.jpg

• Like 4

A Moore pattern penny, Peck 2117. ex Carter, Peck, Magnay & Adams.

c2243-Moore 1860 pattern penny P2117 - Copy.jpg

• Like 3