British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

Latest addition and awaiting delivery. High grade Jubilee Head florins (except for 1887) are not easy to come by. Hence, I have got this instead of waiting for an UNC example. How would you grade it? GEF?

1133457835_1(2)-Copy.thumb.jpg.d128b48774ea3d6cee5bec064f604af7.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, most people would grade it EF+ or even AUnc as what at first glance looks like minimal wear may be no more than rubbing from being stored.

Nice coin.

• Like 2

Possibly a few too many contact marks on the obverse?

• Like 1

My latest acquisition to up grade my original 1817 Bull head halfcrown. The coin looks much better in the hand.

Clipboard.jpg

Clipboard.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Rob said:

Possibly a few too many contact marks on the obverse?

I was debating that point with myself. There are quite a few marks on the obverse but they are not deep. Will soon be able to see how it looks in hand. 

The florin has arrived and the obverse tone is richer than shown in the photos. Although the obverse fields are not "clean", the marks are light and have toned in. Hence, they mostly cannot be seen without magnification. Reasonably happy with it.

There is one thing I have never understood. Why do double florins have both Roman and Arabic One for 1887 and then just Arabic for later years? One theory is that the Roman I was a "mistake" and was corrected later. I never believed this as the florins used just the Roman One all the way through. Any ideas?

1689 4d, 

Obv. GVLIELM (V/inverted A) S ??

Rev. Unbarred A in REGINA

1155061897_WM1689.thumb.png.7270fcac48788cef2e8c2d831793727d.png

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 2:51 PM, Diaconis said:

1689 4d, 

Obv. GVLIELM (V/inverted A) S ??

Rev. Unbarred A in REGINA

The first looks very much like V over A .. except that the bar looks much too thick? Given the thin-ness of the bar on an A it's also possible that it's simply worn right away on the die rather than being an unbarred A?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

The first looks very much like V over A .. except that the bar looks much too thick? Given the thin-ness of the bar on an A it's also possible that it's simply worn right away on the die rather than being an unbarred A?

Yes Peck, certainly a possibility. 

My goodness! Such superb toning has even succeeded in making the Bull Head look good. 

• Like 2

This Godless florin from my duplicates box:

1849_old_O_small.jpg

1849_old_R_small.jpg

• Like 2

Are you lost Pete? What are you doing in this thread? 😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/15/2022 at 7:55 AM, david.bordeaux said:

This Godless florin from my duplicates box:

1849_old_O_small.jpg

1849_old_R_small.jpg

Duplicate? You willing to sell? It's much better than my own example.

• Like 2

Going through some more duplicates, two 1887s stood out for different reasons. The sixpence for its vivid blue colour. And the half-crown for the quite even toning.

sixpence.thumb.jpg.30415b49658ecfe980a4dc9c442a9843.jpg

halfcrown.thumb.jpg.efa6e741d88c2fcc2915c10874acc139.jpg

Edited by david.bordeaux
  • Like 3

Increasingly liking this one, my best example of a George II young head roses halfcrown type

1739_hc_01_ref_01991_lcgs_70_uin_43734_dnw_jan_2020_lot_263_04_2400-1.png (2400×1200)

• Like 7

On 2/24/2022 at 3:23 PM, david.bordeaux said:

Going through some more duplicates, two 1887s stood out for different reasons. The sixpence for its vivid blue colour. And the half-crown for the quite even toning.

sixpence.thumb.jpg.30415b49658ecfe980a4dc9c442a9843.jpg

halfcrown.thumb.jpg.efa6e741d88c2fcc2915c10874acc139.jpg

A lot of wear on the top coin - would not touch with a barge pole

The crown is remarkably free of any contact marks!

23 hours ago, Sword said:

The crown is remarkably free of any contact marks!

Always the helmet on the REV

This 1913 halfcrown has been in my collection for some time and was put away in a box. When I recently  looked at it the coin had taken on a tone where very little existed before. More importantly the tone has improved IMO the look of this coin considerably. There seems to be some flattening to the Kings ear but the hair close by seems to be fairly intact suggesting strike rather than wear. Overall I think a pretty good example for this date.

PS the picture was taken on my Iphone that seems to produce better results than my camera with a macro lens and  my new flat bed scanner.

1913 a.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
More info
  • Like 2

Very nice indeed. The flattening of the ear is undoubtedly due to weak striking.