British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

Not a collector of Maundy coins myself but very nice coins indeed. A little while ago Sterling & Currency of Fremantle had several maundy sets for sale all housed in custom  red leather cases similar in color and gold tooling to the RM proof  cases. Not sure if these were official presentation cases but impressive nevertheless.

12 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Not a collector of Maundy coins myself but very nice coins indeed. A little while ago Sterling & Currency of Fremantle had several maundy sets for sale all housed in custom  red leather cases similar in color and gold tooling to the RM proof  cases. Not sure if these were official presentation cases but impressive nevertheless.

Maundy sets are presented in small leather pouches. Any cases are after market, some offered by jewellers. Set is not really a correct way to describe the coins as issued as the denomination mix varied, you didn't equal numbers of each denomination.

1 minute ago, Gary D said:

Maundy sets are presented in small leather pouches. Any cases are after market, some offered by jewellers. Set is not really a correct way to describe the coins as issued as the denomination mix varied, you didn't equal numbers of each denomination.

That's a very good point Gary - so even those 'contemporary' cases from, say, 1906, weren't issued with the coins? 

Like I say these sets were offered in red leather with tooled gold long presentation cases with blue interior with spaces made for the coins. Maybe they were made afterwards I don't know.Having said that I have seen  in the past square cases of a similar nature to hold  4 coins.

Ok one more..

the fantastical world of Queen Anne...

1E250E8F-8B2C-4833-8BA6-55B00D4964D6_zps

Edited by Nicholas
  • Like 6

On 1/5/2019 at 1:44 PM, ozjohn said:

Like I say these sets were offered in red leather with tooled gold long presentation cases with blue interior with spaces made for the coins. Maybe they were made afterwards I don't know.Having said that I have seen  in the past square cases of a similar nature to hold  4 coins.

I believe at one stage you could order the case along with the coins, before that I believe they were third party made. Some of the larger cases would hold multiple sets.

On 1/7/2019 at 5:41 PM, Gary D said:

I believe at one stage you could order the case along with the coins, before that I believe they were third party made. Some of the larger cases would hold multiple sets.

The cut-off date was 1908. As of 1909 you could no longer order sets from the mint. That's why the price jumps a hundred quid for 1909 & 1910.

The boxes were made for Spink as far as I am aware and possibly a few other businesses. Unfortunately the supply of dealer lists for the likes of Ready, Lincoln and Verity are not particularly common, and I don't have any to see if cases were advertised.

Both not the highest grade but fill gaps and nice to look at for now:

1893-halfcrown.jpg

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I'd be mighty happy with both of those!

I love the toning but the dink in the field on the 1893 and the light scuff on the 1896 means, at some point I will upgrade them but I picked up both for well under what I would have expected to normally even with the slight issues. They are ones I will no doubt upgrade but will also keep because of the toning.

6 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

I love the toning but the dink in the field on the 1893 and the light scuff on the 1896 means, at some point I will upgrade them but I picked up both for well under what I would have expected to normally even with the slight issues. They are ones I will no doubt upgrade but will also keep because of the toning.

Feel free to let me know when you do :)

10 minutes ago, Paulus said:

The florin from my newest 1911 proof set

1911_fl_pf_04_ref_01948_pcgs_pf_65_02_pcgs_pics.jpg

lovely coin with wonderful iridescent sunburst toning on reverse. 

On 12/4/2019 at 10:27 AM, Diaconis said:

lovely coin with wonderful iridescent sunburst toning on reverse. 

Thanks Diaconis

pity there is no crown

10 minutes ago, copper123 said:

pity there is no crown

Yes, I always thought it a little strange that they didn't do a crown for 1911!

• Like 2