British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

12 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

You're really setting the bar rather high for us mere mortals :)

Thanks! I wish that was really the case, I am still make regular mistakes, normally spur of the moment purchases. I really need to try and curb my spending and focus in on 1 or 2 particular coins to fill type gaps in higher grades.

Edited by Nonmortuus

1 hour ago, Nonmortuus said:

Thanks! I wish that was really the case, I am still make regular mistakes, normally spur of the moment purchases. I really need to try and curb my spending and focus in on 1 or 2 particular coins to fill type gaps in higher grades.

I just need to focus on buying everything in higher grades - and start checking that I don't already have things.... 3 recent occurrences of "oops"!

:)

Do yourself a website on wordpress. Extremely easy to do and as long as you remember to upload the photos you can keep track and compare grades etc of what you have v what's on offer. Mind it won't stop you buying duplicates. I have 3 x 1911 and 5 x 1923 half crowns....

www.noncoins.wordpress.com

Is mine and is really useful at the coin fairs.

• Like 1

Totally agree with Nons on the wordpress recommendation, I do exactly the same. It also helps with posting pics on here, I just copy/paste them into a reply such as this one!

Here's another newbie I'm quite pleased with, could do with less bag chatter though ...

1826_hc_02_ref_01683_02_2400.jpg

• Like 6

On 7 November 2018 at 8:31 PM, Nonmortuus said:

Struggling to get them in focus but my 1829 Maundy set:

1829_Maundy_set.jpg.cc9638eb34fe070bbceb53eeff7cf0b8.jpg

Nice... but it's slightly weird (to me anyway) that you've posted them all the same size. Any chance of a picture of the set as it really is?

Couple of additions to my Maundy pennies. 

JointPics_20181116_152736.JPG

JointPics_20181116_152800.JPG

• Like 2

A common enough coin, but an ok example with a tone that says it sat in a cabinet for a long time.

c1726-1746 Lima Halfcrown.jpg

• Like 4

Hope this photo bucket link works

This is my CH1 1633 cast medal. I’ve shifted away from currency coins to historical medals but still centred around the English Civil War...

6AE59B34-FF7F-4FE1-9CAD-3D06BD502BB3_zps

• Like 3

Ok ok milled and silver 

so here’s my Albert personal medal in silver - RRR

5F0AA301-3B7B-429C-B96A-A60B1D045A31_zps

• Like 3

Had this one for a while. Not sure if it has been displayed before but it fits the bill as a toned coin. My own grading is Abt.UNC/MS61 any feedback would be appreciated. Has to be said when you are presented with a coin like this it will be a long time before you will find another unless you are very lucky.

Clipboard.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

Had this one for a while. Not sure if it has been displayed before but it fits the bill as a toned coin. My own grading is Abt.UNC/MS61 any feedback would be appreciated. Has to be said when you are presented with a coin like this it will be a long time before you will find another unless you are very lucky.

Clipboard.jpg

Hard to say without seeing in person, but IMHO suspected chemical clean some time ago now retoned (?) else lower end mint state as you say

• Like 1

I've seen many alleged cleaning claims for coins shown on these forums but for the life of me I couldn't tell and would not comment unless I was certain ie scratch marks over the whole coin or a polished effect for non proof coins Maybe it's a 6th. sense. Having said that for a coin of more than 100 years of age I'd be surprised if it hadn't been cleaned at some time in its life.

Please help with posting mine, I think you will all appreciate:

Proof 1839 Maundy 2d (part of set):  PCGS Cert# 36670087

Proof 1838 Groat (Britannia Rev.):  PCGS Cert#   36670085

Currency!!! 1863 3d:   PCGS Cert#36670090

With regards to the latter, this is a true currency (as such extremely rare) and not the Maundy that are frequently and erroneously called currency - but we've had that discussion before & don't mind revisiting it.

• Like 2

Wow, thanks for that!!!!

Just out of interest, what are the PCGS grades?

44 minutes ago, Sword said:

Just out of interest, what are the PCGS grades?

PR-64, PR-64 and MS-63.

• Like 1

Oh thanks. The most costly was the 1838 groat, but the 2d I got some years ago from Baldwin/St. James some years ago as part of a Maundy set.

Possibly equally tough (but much cheaper) was the currency 3d.

I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine, but I just hate when Maundy 3ds are sold or slabbed as currency when they are not; this totally destroys the market for real currency pieces as well as interest for the 3d Victoria series.  I also notice that both PCGS and NGC have slabbed Maundy pieces as currency for dates such as 1847, 1848 or 1852, but also other dates in the 1850s and 1860s - this 1863 is notable as a true currency specimen.