British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

Nice coin Paul, brilliant rainbow colours and great detail.

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

My best 1911 proof florin so far :)

1911_fl_pf_02_ref_01304_03_2400.jpg

Lovely coin, great detail and wonderful rainbow colours.

• Like 2

A very handsome florin, great detail and the toning is right up my street.:wub:

got some bronzes lol 

19453187_10154475443246020_6292925449598420896_o.thumb.jpg.25e40ed8933ecfcf5e49f5400cd45d31.jpg

19477542_10154475442836020_2813821766384005530_o.thumb.jpg.a748942a5958e66f41f07f1c02b28555.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Your proof penny looks to be 2+B as discussed on the other thread :)

is that a bog standard combination then 

Not quite English though. :D

It's interesting that Latin inscriptions were used for some commonwealth countries like Canada or Australia but English inscriptions were always used for certain colonies like Hong Kong and India. 

This coin is impossible to photograph. Such is the unusual toning . I guess because it's just starting . Although I can clearly see the lustre the effect of the toning makes it look matt like in pictures and does no justice to the coin at all. here are 1945 Shilling  scottish arms and scarcer D2121 1946 english arms:D

1945scottisharmsshillingobverse-tile.jpg

• Like 2

Do you use lights or natural light for photography?

I'm having an absolute mare trying to image the churchill crowns to get a picture that shows what I can see in the hand, and so far artifical light really isn't doing it.

Given the recent snow, as I was housebound I tried again, but had so much white natural light that it still didn't give a true impression. The quest continues...

1 hour ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Do you use lights or natural light for photography?

I'm having an absolute mare trying to image the churchill crowns to get a picture that shows what I can see in the hand, and so far artifical light really isn't doing it.

Given the recent snow, as I was housebound I tried again, but had so much white natural light that it still didn't give a true impression. The quest continues...

My room is very dark even in daylight plus the room light is over near the window opposite where I am. You would of thought when they built the bloody house they would put the light central? So I am stuck with 2 bendies with croc clips that attach to the copy stand. Problem is the coin is 3D and we are taking a 2D picture so we lose all the lustre and only get detail. I find it even worse with the camera. The amount of light you need would power a county to get good images lol. I paid £178 I think for a linder Digiscope and tbh it's garbage all the ones you see for sale on ebay are all the same £10-£200 rubbish. I need a stereoscope tbh but they are way out of my pay grade. Bad lighting compounds the issue esp looking for over-dates and repunches.

As all my previous contributions were lost due to changes at photobucket, here's a handful of previously listed examples that seemed popular for those who haven't seen them yet.

1786 3d.jpg

1806 proof Ag halfpenny.jpg

1888 dbl florin inv 1 - 2.jpg

c1260-Cromwell shilling.jpg

• Like 6

Nice Oliver Cromwell, Rob.  Is it a halfcrown or a shilling?

13 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Nice Oliver Cromwell, Rob.  Is it a halfcrown or a shilling?

Shilling

21 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

This coin is impossible to photograph. Such is the unusual toning . I guess because it's just starting . Although I can clearly see the lustre the effect of the toning makes it look matt like in pictures and does no justice to the coin at all. here are 1945 Shilling  scottish arms and scarcer D2121 1946 english arms:D

Not sure why you say 'scarcer'? All George VI silver dated 1944-1946 - and even earlier - is very common even in top grades, due to general hoarding of genuine silver coins once CuNi came in. (This is also why high grade silver 1915 - 1918 is more common than post-1920 when they were debased to 50% silver).

34 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Not sure why you say 'scarcer'?

Probably because it the scarcer of the two reverses for 1946 English shillings.

• Like 1

A few of my very best that, like Rob, were on Photobucket at one time ...

1817-halfcrown.png

1911_sx_pf_01_01_cgs__uin__1300.png

1911_fl_pf_06_cgs__uin_36863_650.png

1911_fl_pf_02_ref_01304_03_2400.jpg

1911_hc_pf_03_cgs_92_uin_36862_1600.jpg

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 6

All four do it for me

• Like 1

A few more toned silver coins that may have disappeared, or have not been seen by newbies ... 

1913_sx_02_ref_01312_01_pcgs_ms64_1600.j

1693_hc_04_cgs_40_uin_38005_1300.jpg

1696_cr_06_cgs_50_uin_38012_1600.jpg

• Like 4