British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

Lovely 3d.Nice strike too.

• Like 1

My recent arrival

Screenshot%202016-11-02%2017.51.06.png

Screenshot%202016-11-02%2017.51.14.png

• Like 4

Sorry to ask but not my thing :)

Why was the counterstamp put on please ?.

Pete.

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Sorry to ask but not my thing :)

Why was the counterstamp put on please ?.

Pete.

Its a BoE issue Pete, these were emergency issues due to the lack of silver at the time and was counter stamped on Spanish 8 and 4 reales, the counter stamp was to denote that it was issued from the Bank of England

7 minutes ago, azda said:

Its a BoE issue Pete, these were emergency issues due to the lack of silver at the time and was counter stamped on Spanish 8 and 4 reales, the counter stamp was to denote that it was issued from the Bank of England

Thanks Dave........although thats gone over my head ,probably one of the reasons i never passed any exams :)

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thanks Dave........although thats gone over my head ,probably one of the reasons i never passed any exams :)

Not sure you need to pass exams to make money Pete 

A recent upgrade - very common crown, but the colourful toning caught my eye and I overpayed on it. I'm happy with it but find a bit odd that some of the fields are proof-like with wonderful colour but, at the same time, some areas in the reverse particularly (i.e. St. George's torso and halmet) would struggle to cut EF.

1887%20CR_zpsmygidcgv.jpg

• Like 5

Here is my latest toned coin.

1888 Groat- Fourpence Obv.jpg1888 Groat- Fourpence rev.jpg

• Like 2

Mick

I don't know a lot about Four Pence's but that looks like a good one, I particularly like the obverse. Did you do the photography?

16 minutes ago, IanB said:

Did you do the photography?

No I must confess not my photo's LCGS i'm afraid. Nice addition to replace my other 1888 Groat. Cannot believe I only just bought the other then this one comes along, just had to buy it:)

8 minutes ago, Paulus said:

What grade did they give it Mick?

I think it was an 82 Paul. I was watching it but it went for far more than I was prepared to pay :)

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

What grade did they give it Mick?

It was actually graded at 85 so do you think I paid too much for it.??

1 minute ago, UPINSMOKE said:

It's a lovely coin Mick but I don't know what you paid (unless you have said that elsewhere!)

Hi Paul it cost me £99 plus postage so worked out and around £106 it's a bit more than I wanted to pay but then again it's a nice coin  and it ticks the boxes for my 1888 set.  I bought another groat a few days earlier. But in hindsight I didn't realise this one would come up as well, just hope I can get my money back on the other coin which I think I paid a little bit too much for again. Oh well I suppose it's on learning curve but I think it's become a little bit expensive.

Edited by UPINSMOKE

3 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Hi Paul it cost me £99 plus postage so worked out and around £106 it's a bit more than I wanted to pay but then again it's a nice coin  and it ticks the boxes for my 1888 set.  I bought another groat a few days earlier. But in hindsight I didn't realise this one would come up as well, just hope I can get my money back on the other coin which I think I paid a little bit too much for again. Oh well I suppose it's on learning curve but I think it's become a little bit expensive.

It happens all the time, London busses syndrome! Ideally upgrades cost not too much because you bought well in the first place! Can you share the example you upgraded from and presumably want to sell?

12 minutes ago, Paulus said:

It happens all the time, London busses syndrome! Ideally upgrades cost not too much because you bought well in the first place! Can you share the example you upgraded from and presumably want to sell?

581bc18298c00_1888Groat4dObv.jpg.d50aad24b7b91f86ecf1e663b439e7f6.jpg

581bc16614409_1888Groat4dRev.jpg.41903aa2e1f383e1bf53b64ba666cb7e.jpg

1 hour ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Not at all but it was more than I was prepared to go. It's a lovely example.