British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

1 minute ago, Paulus said:

Good one Matt, you could also add a short link to the initials TPG!

Edit - ah, you have!

:P

Keep the suggestions coming though, I'll add them as and when

Just now, Nordle11 said:

:P

Also - keep the suggestions coming though, I'll add them as and when

You may as well do the grading abbreviations (G through to FDC - although single letters may not work, so perhaps GF - FDC), ANACS, BNTA ... I'll think of others, for when you're at a loose end :P

Great minds, Paul! I tried and unfortunately you do get the lines on individual letters. I did think about it for 10 minutes or so but couldn't think of a way to add grades without a letter in every other word flagging up lol. F, EF, UNC are the offenders.

ANACS and BTNA are good ones, adding them now!

5 minutes ago, Paulus said:

You may as well do the grading abbreviations (G through to FDC - although single letters may not work, so perhaps GF - FDC), ANACS, BNTA ... I'll think of others, for when you're at a loose end :P

I'm assuming ANACS is American Numismatic Association Coin Service, but it's proving quite difficult to confirm :wacko:

1 minute ago, Nordle11 said:

I'm assuming ANACS is American Numismatic Association Coin Service, but it's proving quite difficult to confirm :wacko:

American Numismatic Association Certification Service

• Like 1

Tar.

ANACS

BNTA

Since "cleaned and retoned" has been talked about lately, I will post my example of such a thing. It was one of the first coins I brought (from an auction house in Warwickshire). It was described as "1902 crown AUNC". I was very inexperienced at the time and didn't realise that the description should have been "1902 matt proof crown, cleaned". It has been toning on my window sill for several years now and is gradually looking better. 

O.JPGR.JPG

• Like 3

It has been toning on my window sill for several years now and is gradually looking better. 

Do you leave It to the mercy of the elements, or in a ventilated box?

6 minutes ago, Leo said:

Doesn't it work on the inside of the window?

1 minute ago, Leo said:

Initially I covered it loosely with the lid of a coin capsule. However nothing happened for ages. Then I took away the capsule lid and use a blower to remove the dust on the coin once in a while. That window gets the sun in the afternoon and it must have helped. 

5 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Doesn't it work on the inside of the window?

Oh, it is inside of the window. I would never dare to leave a coin outside!

• Like 1

Since my coins visit to CGS , it has been toning very well, and its locked in a safe in the dark (but nice and warm as its the server room)

@Sword My coin has the same toning as the top part of yours, was it all that that to start with ?

33 minutes ago, SWANNY said:

Since my coins visit to CGS , it has been toning very well, and its locked in a safe in the dark (but nice and warm as its the server room)

@Sword My coin has the same toning as the top part of yours, was it all that that to start with ?

There was a little blue colour around part of the edge when I brought it. It has been getting bigger since. Likewise the brown colour has been developing from the rim inwards. 

Edited by Sword

54 minutes ago, SWANNY said:

Your server room should be freezing cold, not warm..

5 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Good point!

9 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

3rd bedroom = server room , the one server keeps the room at just the right temperature for my coins :D

Doesn't look mottled from the picture, more tarnished

Edited by azda

On 14 September 2016 at 9:54 PM, Paulus said:

1812_3s_1st_bust_01_01_cgs_78_uin_19128_

This would be the mottled effect Paul

A Jubilee  crown I have for a while. (Brought raw and was graded CGS 75 later on).

1887 O.jpg1887 R.jpg

Edited by Sword
  • Like 2

On 9/15/2016 at 10:23 AM, SWANNY said:

It was rejected because of toning (Reject: Re-Toned) which I think they mean was cleaned at some time.

It did come back with two extra scratches which I was taking them to court about, but they closed the company just before court case date

Always listen and two sides to every story...........Is that the truth with regards the court case :o

Its been going on long enough and feel the truth should be talked about :)

You have read this post and you have  been considering making a post Swanny so after twelve months what really happened .

Not a problem if you dont want to share maybe its best ended .

Tell the truth :)

How do you want it short and quick or the full monty ?