British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

I sold most of my silver but will continue to pick up bits and bobs Victoria onwards.

I'm focusing on the coppers hopefully have a few to post soon. A couple that i have, probably fortuitously, retained:

29134115950_7bea987739_b.jpg

29462232502_b8b8197276_b.jpg

6 hours ago, Paulus said:

Keen on that circulation 1902 crown Damian! :)

Looks too well defined to be a currency crown.  My money is on matt proof.

2 hours ago, Nick said:

D1360_zpsznjmxug6.jpg

Just a quick comment about the number of posts, which I know I have brought up elsewhere. For this post your total is shown as 1566, but this is the same total presented for your earlier post 7 hours back when you commented on the matt 1902 crown.

2 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

Just a quick comment about the number of posts, which I know I have brought up elsewhere. For this post your total is shown as 1566, but this is the same total presented for your earlier post 7 hours back when you commented on the matt 1902 crown.

I've tried to explain as clearly as I can, but to no avail.  Every time you post, your post count is incremented.  Therefore, every single post you've ever made will show that new post count.  As you will see, now that I have replied, my post count is no longer 1566.

This bank token has the same mottled toning as Swannys Gothic Crown which CGS condemned as being cleaned, is this a CGS picture?

What that why it was rejected? I thought it was because of the scratch (which Swanny says wasn't there before he sent it).

It's a really nice token though Paul :) 

18 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

What that why it was rejected? I thought it was because of the scratch (which Swanny says wasn't there before he sent it).

It's a really nice token though Paul :) 

I'm sure Swanny said it was rejected for cleaning? and came back with the scratch? @SWANNY can confirm the nature of the rejection

Edited by azda

It was rejected because of toning (Reject: Re-Toned) which I think they mean was cleaned at some time.

It did come back with two extra scratches which I was taking them to court about, but they closed the company just before court case date

Edited by SWANNY

4 minutes ago, SWANNY said:

It was rejected because of toning (Reject: Re-Toned) which I think they mean was cleaned at some time.

Yes, retoning would mean it was cleaned at some point and is now starting to retone......I think Paul'bank token is in the same category, merely an assumption Paul, but the toning on yours and Swannys Gothic is quite similar

Edited by azda

Gotcha, my mistake. So is this a rejected picture Paulus or did it grade ok?

58 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

It was graded quite high if I recall. It was on my ebay watch list :)

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

Acquired yesterday so I don't have it in hand yet, graded OK at CGS 78. And yes, these are CGS pics.

And I don't know why it is underlining CGS!

Edited by Paulus

I think with CGS , a good grade depended on what day it was graded, and if the grader got laid the night before....

58 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Acquired yesterday so I don't have it in hand yet, graded OK at CGS 78. And yes, these are CGS pics.

And I don't know why it is underlining CGS!

I've just noticed that my first post on your bank token has now CGS underlined also, it wasn't like that when i posted the comment though, so something has suddenly changed

3 minutes ago, SWANNY said:

I think with CGS , a good grade depended on what day it was graded, and if the grader got laid the night before....

So mistakes dont happen very often and to try and keep some consistency the coin is looked at by three graders....so thats not right.

Thats a fact .....anyway each to there own .

Time for me to get out of here :rolleyes:

The chances of three graders getting laid on the same night , that would explain why CGS grades were so strict :D

2 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

So mistakes dont happen very often and to try and keep some consistency the coin is looked at by three graders....so thats not right.

Thats a fact .....anyway each to there own .

Time for me to get out of here :rolleyes:

@PWA 1967 i think Swanny has good grounds to be pissed off. His Gothic has been scratched, he claims it was done by CGS, now if this is correct, it has probably wiped £500 or more off the value of the coin. If the shoe was on the other foot and one of yours was damaged by ANY grading company without compensation i'm sure you'd be rightly annoyed, especially if you'd paid £2500 or more for it.

A company that sells and grades coins should have done the right thing and compensated for the loss, or even bought the coin from him at market value, but they decide that shutting the grading side of it down and now won't receive a penny......

Of course this post should be elsewhere, but i'm replying to something said here and it wouldn't make sense in the CGS bashing thread. I'm not interested in arguing about CGS or anything else, but try and take the view from someone who's valuable coin was scratched (i won't say ruined) but it will have decreased it's value... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azda said:

I've just noticed that my first post on your bank token has now CGS underlined also, it wasn't like that when i posted the comment though, so something has suddenly changed

CGS LCGS NGC PCGS

I made them all short links so if you hover over them it shows you what that means. Common sense to all the regulars, but when I started it wasn't so easy learning the names of the TPGs etc. Just thought it would help newer members. 

18 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

CGS LCGS NGC PCGS

I made them all short links so if you hover over them it shows you what that means. Common sense to all the regulars, but when I started it wasn't so easy learning the names of the TPGs etc. Just thought it would help newer members. 

Good one Matt, you could also add a short link to the initials TPG!

Edit - ah, you have!

Edited by Paulus