British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

6 hours ago, Paulus said:

1903_fl_05_2400.jpg

It's interesting that some Edward VII coins can tone so darkly around the legend leaving the rest of the coin untoned and lustrous. 

Here are a couple examples of mine. They are common coins but I like the tone. 

1902 halfcrown reverse.JPG1902 halfcrown observe.JPG

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Are the striations in the field from die polishing?

Probably from contact with something it was held in. There is nothing to be seen in hand, only when the flash is used. Polishing lines on the die tend to be obvious in hand and are raised in any case.

P778. This is Peck's own piece which had the weight erroneously given as 157.3 grains. The weight is actually 115.7grains with the 1 footnote numeral taken from the weight and the footnote 3 numeral incorporated into the weight. Anyone with a copy of Peck will understand what I mean.

139 - Copy.JPG

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sword said:

Here are a couple examples of mine. They are common coins but I like the tone. 

Lovely frosty lustre on that halfcrown.  What are the assigned grades on those two?

whats pecks 1718 copper halfpenny doing in a milled silver post ?

Love the last 8 being out of line BTW

Sword,

You are right about the toning on Edward coins. Here's my 1902 HC not to the same extent as yours but a similar effect. I've never noticed it before

Obverse Abt. UNC.jpg

Reverse Abt. UNC.jpg

26 minutes ago, copper123 said:

whats pecks 1718 copper halfpenny doing in a milled silver post ?

Love the last 8 being out of line BTW

A silver halfpenny in a milled silver post - what's wrong with that? Check your copy of Peck (2nd ed. p.200 refers) and read back what the description says.

Edited by Rob

From Vicky Silver's collection...

TrueView_81425958_Large.jpg

4 hours ago, Nick said:

D1883_zpsxqnc4ucy.jpg

Nice coin they're finally minting them correctly just before the design change.

Please see if you spot the significance of the above 1868 3d. I am not entirely sure it is not a lightly handled Maundy issue - and this comes from one who loves the series (guess readers might have guessed that).

19 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Please see if you spot the significance of the above 1868 3d. I am not entirely sure it is not a lightly handled Maundy issue - and this comes from one who loves the series (guess readers might have guessed that).

I would expect to see some sets with an example if they were issued in them. If you don't know of any, I would think it more likely they were currency. Also, what is the grade distribution? Most maundy coins didn't circulate, even in the fullness of time, so a maundy issue should be heavily skewed towards a high grade population, leaving aside the fact that people look for them.

Edited by Rob

Bull has them listed as Maundy as well.....Really the strike is better than one would consider for a currency - although many currencies in the late 1860s were of better strike quality.

Admittedly, Bull has many errors....

RRITANNIAR are very scarce to rare in higher grades, this from an old Spink list - from the halcyon days!

Edited by VickySilver

38 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Could it be a maundy die that was later used for currency?  The annual reports show that there were 43 obverse dies used for 1,469,592 currency 3d pieces and 3 obverse dies for 7,704 maundy 3d pieces.  If just one of those dies contained the error, it's unlikely that there were originally more than 10 or 20 thousand RRITANNIAR minted.

It does seem unusual that the error was not corrected, given the number of B over R in BRITTANIAR that exist in other denominations.

1 hour ago, Coppers said:

From Vicky Silver's collection...

TrueView_81425958_Large.jpg

Scarce variety and all, I was surprised to see that PCGS graded this coin problem free.  The rim damage at 10 o'clock on the obverse would likely preclude a straight grade most of the time.

49 minutes ago, jaggy said:

X537Xs.jpg

I don't know what chemicals are contained in the lining of those 1911 proof set boxes, but they certainly do produce some wacky colourful toning.

28 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Bull has them listed as Maundy as well.....Really the strike is better than one would consider for a currency - although many currencies in the late 1860s were of better strike quality.

Admittedly, Bull has many errors....

RRITANNIAR are very scarce to rare in higher grades, this from an old Spink list - from the halcyon days!

I'm open minded about everything in the latest ESC given the lack of proof reading evident. How many 1868 maundy sets have people seen? As Nick said, there were allegedly 3 dies used which should be possible to identify. If it is possible to identify three non-RR dies, then the latter should reasonably be a currency die.

Yes, might have gotten the push for the date - although this is a threepence that is blown up to about 100X size! LOL!

Really bad clashed dies on reverse as well. This along with the Dritanniar 1878 are my favourites of the lettering errors when in pristine (that one is a "64").

3 minutes ago, Nick said:

D1863P_zps2mt7i65b.jpg

Absolutely LOVE this 1911. :wub:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nick said:

I don't know what chemicals are contained in the lining of those 1911 proof set boxes, but they certainly do produce some wacky colourful toning.

I do have another 1911 proof which is not as 'wacky'. But the reverse is still nicely toned and more so than in many of the currency pieces.