British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

Bit a lot more patchy but nice to my eyes

1887_cr_02_03_1300.png

Edited by Paulus

The more I look at it, the more I love it, definitely deserves its place in here! A delicate pale blue and orange (appropriate!) tone

1696_cr_04_1300.png

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...really lovely coin, that! ?

Think i need to get a larger computer screen Dave :o

Lol, I just got myself a 55" curve screen HD smart TV, it's like being at the pictures.

I know how much you all love colorful coins and American TPGs....so here is a Christmas present for you all :) ;)

I bought this little gem in a Heritage auction a couple weeks ago.

Happy holidays,  Brandon

1899 sixpence, PCGS MS65

1899_sixpence_PCGS_OGH_MS65_toned_obv_zp

1899_sixpence_PCGS_OGH_MS65_toned_rev_zp

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, brg5658 said:

I know how much you all love colorful coins and American TPGs....so here is a Christmas present for you all :) ;)

I bought this little gem in a Heritage auction a couple weeks ago.

Happy holidays,  Brandon

1899 sixpence, PCGS MS65

Was that the same auction where I bought both the 1816 sixpences? If so, your 1899 wasn't cheap.

As always, jealous and amazed by your photography skills Brandon!!

Come round and take photos of my coins please :)

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

Was that the same auction where I bought both the 1816 sixpences? If so, your 1899 wasn't cheap.

It appears so...but there were 3 1816 sixpences in that auction, not just 2.  It was the Dec 10 Heritage auction.  

And, no it wasn't cheap -- but I don't strive to buy only "cheap" coins.  And, I think I could get my money out of it in a heartbeat, with a little profit if I wanted.  But, I love it, so it's staying with me. :D

9 minutes ago, brg5658 said:

It appears so...but there were 3 1816 sixpences in that auction, not just 2.  It was the Dec 10 Heritage auction.  

And, no it wasn't cheap -- but I don't strive to buy only "cheap" coins.  And, I think I could get my money out of it in a heartbeat, with a little profit if I wanted.  But, I love it, so it's staying with me. :D

I don't remember the third ... but no matter. If you are happy with your buy then that is all that counts. I remember watching the 1899 go and I was surprised at the price it fetched. I already have two 1899 sixpences in UNC grade so wasn't planning to bid on yours in any event. 

Edit: You are right, there were three 1816 sixpences but the third was only an MS 63. I bought the two that were MS 65.

Edited by jaggy

Just now, jaggy said:

I don't remember the third ... but no matter. If you are happy with your buy then that is all that counts. I remember watching the 1899 go and I was surprised at the price it fetched. I already have two 1899 sixpences in UNC grade so wasn't planning to bid on yours in any event. 

It sold for a little less about a year ago at Heritage, and even a little less about a year earlier than that.  Now that the dealers are done flipping it amongst themselves, it will remain in my collection for the foreseeable future.  It was a part of the Elizabeth MacPhail Charters Collection, a Canadian woman who died at the age of 96 in 2012.  It was slabbed sometime between Jan 1990 and mid-1995, so has been stable in color for at least 20 years in its current slab.  If it were to show up on the CRO website or some other such site, I suspect I would have paid another 60% more than I did.  Sometimes you have to pay up for special coins.

This is the first time using the drag feature so hope it works.the coin pictured is my favourite George III Crown,and is the best that I have ever managed to study

George is fully frosted,St George is so well struck that the coin actually rocks on his helmet,which would have been the first part to wear,however all the detail is still mint.          

img (4).jpg

img (5).jpg

• Like 1

This is one of the 1816 sixpences I referenced above:

D18aBc.jpg

sJT8d7.jpg

• Like 1

It sure does Jaggy, what grade did they give that? Is it the MS 65 you posted in CAOTW (Coin Acquisition of the Week!)?

Edited by Paulus

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thats nice Benny :)

Thanks,have had this a few years now,and is probably the one I have spent the most time looking at. 

2 hours ago, Paulus said:

It sure does Jaggy, what grade did they give that? Is it the MS 65 you posted in CAOTW (Coin Acquisition of the Week!)?

Yes, same one. Both the 1816s I bought were MS 65 but I like this one the best.

Just now, jaggy said:

Yes, same one. Both the 1816s I bought were MS 65 but I like this one the best.

It's choice, I also have 2 nice Churchill Crowns if you are interested in swapsies  :D

1 minute ago, Paulus said:

It's choice, I also have 2 nice Churchill Crowns if you are interested in swapsies  :D

Appreciate the offer but Crowns are not really my thing. ;)

3 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Appreciate the offer but Crowns are not really my thing. ;)

Shoot, of course, otherwise obviously my offer may well have been appealing! :rolleyes:

Sixpences all the way for the Jagster :)

• Like 1