British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

azda the point was the coin was graded on the basis of the original Mexican coin not its counter stamp as it should have been. However my observation is dragging the subject of this thread away from its original intent something that happens a lot in these forums. The UK and Sheldon scales are probably better discussed as a separate thread.

NGC grades counter-stamped coins based on the counter-stamp, not the host coin.

Bizarre though don't you think, as both are relevant to a collector and as to value?

Not really bizarre , it is the counterstamp that gave monetary status as a 'British' coin, and to a collector of British coins the clock starts ticking when the counterstamp is applied. Of course there is some added value if the original coin is pleasing.

Jerry

Exactly my thoughts. Watching Spink online..

Thank you Paulus:) I paid £30 for it, Maybe overpaid but I fell in love with its authentic charm.

I don't think you overpaid, but not a bargain, very common as I am sure you know. I am fond of nicely toned silver, as you might guess, hence starting this thread! :)

I'm just glad I didn't overpay to much :lol: Went on a bit of a spending spree today, I have to agree though well toned coins are really nice, I will dig out my collection tomorrow and see what other ones I can find.:)

Acquired this last week quite pleased with it :)

That's very nice, Scotsman! :)

I'm guessing you are photographing at an angle to get the best out of the detail/depth on the coin?

Have you tried taking a photo directly above the coin, and adding an artificial light-source at an angle instead?

It achieves the same depth-of-field result, but allows you to look at the coin head-on! It also means the entire coin can be photographed in focus, which is a near-impossible feat when photographing at an angle (ie increasing the distance/depth of the coin) with macro. :)

I don't have a camera anymore Coinery it broke a while ago, I need to get another one I've been using my phone and its just not taking a decent picture as the coin is much better in the hand thanks for the tip though I'll give it a try later.

A heavily circulated series, I've been on the hunt for a decent example for a long while.

1918C_Newfoundland_50C_GTG_composite_zps

Another toned example I have.

post-8305-0-17342600-1429941975_thumb.jp

post-8305-0-85170600-1429942006_thumb.jp

ich spreche auch ein bissien Deutsh - ich habe in Bochum studiert

A nice example of a 0.500 toned KGV 1933 florin.

post-8305-0-61369700-1430611460_thumb.jp

post-8305-0-45423700-1430611490_thumb.jp

Please bear with, I am testing whether this image will 'animate' on this forum:

Animated_Milled_Silver_Gallery_01_zpscyc

• Like 1

Paulus stop doing my head in.

I've just got down stairs and done a quick swoop of last nights goodies (both daughters and boyfriends on the lash)

Nice coins as always. :)

904544_a.jpg

A coin (From Wild Winds which I got my paws on)

I went on a buying thingie and bought about a hundred Roman silvers and about 300 bronze/copper/gold...got the books but not the knowledge.

I'd like to post some pictures but I don't know how to post them inline in the message. Can someone help me out?

I prefer to use Photobucket and paste in a 'Direct' link from there
Me too! :)