British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

And one I won just this evening (seller's pic - many of you will guess who from!)

1902_FL_Matt_Proof_Rev01_Sellers_Bucks_C

Edited by Paulus

1853 Sixpence. Acquired at DNW, 4th December 2013

pgOuPU.jpg

75GuU0.jpg
  • Like 1

1853 Proof Sixpence. Acquired at Heritage, 15th April 2014

BSvno6.jpg

xXme59.jpg
  • Like 1

1820 Halfcrown I think I paid about $AU 110 for it in the late 1980s

post-8305-0-41982000-1427067752_thumb.jp

post-8305-0-13844400-1427067788_thumb.jp

Couple of quid last year

1881QueenVictoriaFlorinSpink3900PartOfBa

Edited by azda
  • Like 1

This one is Williams but love the toning on it

PC191671.jpg

PC191673.jpg

Edited by azda

That's a cracking Cromwell shilling.

Edited by Nicholas

image_zpsb7742354.jpg

Dark tone - it's been freed since this photo...

• Like 1

But it isn't silver?

Shoot me :D

With reference to the slabbed countermarked dollar which is graded VF. As you may be aware similar coins were issued in Australia with the center punched out which was called the dump worth 15 pence 1/- 6 and the rest of the coin called a holey dollar worth 5/-. From what I understand when grading these items it is the condition of the counterstamp which is graded not the original coin's condition. Perhaps another example of 3rd parties grading coins they do not fully understand.

Sorry XF which probably equates to VF.

Agreed John - it's the counter mark that counts! In this instance Spink graded it as EF (Ex Montegazza 62. Spink 113, March1996). The slabbing company mistaken IMO.

Also their provenance leaves a lot to be desired : "A-Tokyo Collection" is meaningless as far as I know.

Edited by Nicholas

Well, no "Tokyo A Collection" is a rather fabulous one - perhaps one of the finest collection of milled crowns EVER assembled. I have a couple but that particular collector, now deceased had a legendary collection; the family still holds some of the finest bits. Believe Steve Hill knows a bit about this collection.

• Like 1

Interesting! Thank you vicky

Sorry XF which probably equates to VF.

XF45 equates to a British NVF

azda the point was the coin was graded on the basis of the original Mexican coin not its counter stamp as it should have been. However my observation is dragging the subject of this thread away from its original intent something that happens a lot in these forums. The UK and Sheldon scales are probably better discussed as a separate thread.

Where does it say it was graded on the coin and not the counterstamp? I believe UK auction houses give 2 grades for similar coins, but i can't see anything on the label that suggest its the coin that was graded. Just saying.

Nicholas, i woiuld'nt have taken that out ofits holder considering where its come from. Of course a majority dislike holders but thats good provenance there.

Edited by azda

Azda, at the risk of digressing from this thread further I suggest you take a look at Australian holey dollar prices and gradings it is all in the counter mark the original coin is of no consequence. If you think about it someone has butchered a coin by removing its center or making a dent in it using a metal stamp. Normally these coins would be only bullion value after such action but in this case the marking is official thus making the coin rare. This again is true for civil war siege pieces of silver where it is the counter mark that makes these pieces different from any other piece of silver. In all cases beware of fakes.

Jaggy,

I take it your not into eye appeal. LOL. Nice coin.

Mark

Paulus,

This thread is a nice idea. This is dark but really like it.

Mark

post-7872-0-54821900-1427157319_thumb.jp

post-7872-0-15547100-1427157333_thumb.jp

Azda, at the risk of digressing from this thread further I suggest you take a look at Australian holey dollar prices and gradings it is all in the counter mark the original coin is of no consequence. If you think about it someone has butchered a coin by removing its center or making a dent in it using a metal stamp. Normally these coins would be only bullion value after such action but in this case the marking is official thus making the coin rare. This again is true for civil war siege pieces of silver where it is the counter mark that makes these pieces different from any other piece of silver. In all cases beware of fakes.

I must confess I've not seen an (English civil war counter stamped?) coin, nor an Australian Holey dollar, but we're surely talking about 2 different countries. As I said previously, in Blighty, both coin and counterstamp are graded and i won't digress further from this thread.

If you can elaborate further on the civil war counterstamp coinage, are we talking British civil war? Then please PM me further details.

Where does it say it was graded on the coin and not the counterstamp? I believe UK auction houses give 2 grades for similar coins, but i can't see anything on the label that suggest its the coin that was graded. Just saying.

Nicholas, i woiuld'nt have taken that out ofits holder considering where its come from. Of course a majority dislike holders but thats good provenance there.

A coin out of its holder doesn't lose its provenance...